JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Unusual Radio Broadcasts and Numbers Stations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unusual Radio Broadcasts and Numbers Stations
    Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 7:53pm
Ive been reading up on Numbers Stations, and found it very intriguing.

A friend mentioned to me last night that he was on StumbleUpon, and a page came up talking about this radio broadcast that is coming from somewhere in Germany. The broadcast is this one guy, talking in German, about mostly nothing, and It has apparently been going on like that for the last 40-45 years, every day, 24 hours a day. What's even crazier is that they said it is a non-repeating broadcast, so it's not previously recorded, yet the guy's voice has apparently not aged (The government or whoever it is keeping track, has shown samples of recordings of the broadcast from the 70s and 80s, and recent recordings).

I found all this interesting, but couldn't find the web page my friend read about this from. All my searching lead me to articles on Numbers Stations, which might actually be what my friend was talking about, but those things transmit mostly beeps and other noises, with the occasional creepy song playing, or someone reading groups of numbers. Numbers Stations, for those who don't know, are radio towers that governments use(d) for spies to receive information that they didn't want to enemy to know about.

For more info on Numbers Stations read this and listen to samples http://www.archive.org/details/ird059

So, does anyone know anything about the German guy and his broadcasts?
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 8:00pm
Never heard of him, all this is new to me.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 11:43pm
I don't even know about these number stations but I suppose I would be the last person to tell a secret too.  Pssst, got some juicy goss Wink
Matt
Frederic_Alderon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frederic_Alderon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 5:06pm
 I begin with a "The Lincolnshire Poacher," which began its transmissions with bars from the British folk song. Stasi-connected Swedish Rhapsody, started with a music box rendition of that tune before continuing with the voice of a little girl reciting numbers in German, is also pretty weird
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic