AMOGH SYMPHONY — Vectorscan (review)

AMOGH SYMPHONY — Vectorscan album cover Album · 2014 · Jazz Related Rock Buy this album from MMA partners
3.5/5 ·
Graham_O_Fone
A very impressive and a freshly approached disparate take on Free Jazz or Avant Garde Jazz in fusion with electronic and progressive rock and Asian music, all together, based on a story/theme. It's a good thing to see more musicians experimenting with xenharmonics a.k.a traditional microtones these days. Some beautiful horn sections(Goregaon Detuned Brass Orchestra and trumpet player Shankar Das) nicely blending into heavy parts with dramatically expressive female vocals and monk chants conveying a dreamy theater to where mind escapes for a journey. Drummer Jim Richman displaying versatile and tasteful grooves and fills accommodating Vishal J.Singh's distinct, peculiar yet diverse guitar chops harmonizing with Andrey Sazonov's essential synthesizer work. From prepared instruments such as Guqin Guitar hybrid, interesting violas and violins, Santoor Guitar hybrid to the use of instruments like Hang Drum and Koto, the album has a lot of interesting components in a heavy dose.

Beautifully arranged, experimentally mixed-produced and nicely mastered with good old 90's era sound.

It's very hard to describe the genre of this album but it definitely comes under essential albums for aspiring musicians and music listeners with diverse tastes. For fans of Frank Zappa, John Zorn, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Medeski Martins and Wood and known metal band Gorguts.

New Aurora Fusion