YES — Release, Release / Don't Kill The Whale (review)

YES — Release, Release / Don't Kill The Whale album cover Single · 1978 · Jazz Related Rock Buy this album from MMA partners
3.5/5 ·
Prog Zone
Review - #21 (Yes - Release, Release)

In 1978 Yes put out this single in support of their most recent studio album, Tormato. It contains both Release, Release and Don't Kill the Whale. Release, Release was developed by Jon Anderson and Alan White, and showcases automatic double tracking applied onto Alan White's drum tracks to achieve a bigger sound. This song has a great energy to it that I always enjoyed. The instrumental section includes a crowd cheering with the guitar and drum solo, which Wakeman reasoned was added because it "sounded a bit dry" on its own. He recalled the crowd was taken from an English football match. In addition, Atlantic Records president Ahmet Ertegun visited Yes in the studio and heard "Release, Release", which he liked and suggested the whole album sound like it. However, the song was slightly difficult for Jon Anderson to sing on stage as the many high notes in the song strained his voice, and it was dropped early into the tour. Overall, a solid song with a truly uplifting chorus! Next up, is Don't Kill the Whale which contains the best keyboard work from Rick Wakeman found throughout the entire Tormato album. Rick Wakeman once said that the keyboard solo involved him adapting a sound that he had configured on his Polymoog which produced "weird sounds" that resembled a whale, interesting. Overall, this is a terrific single containing two of the better tracks found off of the Tormato album. A good, but non-essential addition to any prog collection!

- π˜›π˜©π˜ͺ𝘴 𝘳𝘦𝘷π˜ͺ𝘦𝘸 𝘸𝘒𝘴 𝘰𝘳π˜ͺ𝘨π˜ͺ𝘯𝘒𝘭𝘭𝘺 𝘸𝘳π˜ͺ𝘡𝘡𝘦𝘯 𝘧𝘰𝘳 π˜—π˜³π˜°π˜¨ 𝘈𝘳𝘀𝘩π˜ͺ𝘷𝘦𝘴 (http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=2538058)

Chicago Symphonies Avant-Garde Jazz
Supermane Funk
MONONEON

Roses Poses
LOUIS HAYES
Paul Taylor - Straight to the Point (Official Audio)
PAUL TAYLOR (SAXOPHONE)