MILES DAVIS — Pangaea (review)

MILES DAVIS — Pangaea album cover Live album · 1975 · Fusion Buy this album from MMA partners
4.5/5 ·
js
Mysterious mellow psychedelic avant-garde world music influenced jazz-rock at it's finest, 'Pangea' is the missing link between 'Meddle' era Pink Floyd, the quieter side of Sun Ra, the exotic lounge gypsy ragas of Gabor Szabo, today's 'down tempo' music for chill rooms and the more introspective jazz/folk side of Jimi Hendrix. This is beautiful one-of-a kind music that has to be heard, mere words cannot do it justice. Recorded on the same night as the 'Agharta' album, 'Pangea' has little of 'Agharta's' cosmic space funk, but all of that album's tense quiet moments and then some. Not all is peaceful here though, there are a few sections on 'Pangea' that recall the chaotic free-jazz proto punk of the previously released 'Dark Magus', but overall, that still ominous mood that only Miles can create dominates here.

The star of this show is the phenomenal Pete Cosey, probably one of the best jazz rock guitarists ever outside of John McLaughlin and Robert Fripp. Pete's playing is rooted in the psychedelic blues tradition of Hendrix, David Gilmour and Eddie Hazel, but Cosey has a much more practiced technical style that allows him to move far beyond anything that those three could ever do. Although many guitarists rely on riffs and scale runs, Cosey's ability to 'sing' on the guitar like a saxophonist brings to mind similar guitarists such as Terje Rypdal, Steve Vai, Carlos Santana and Jeff Beck.

This album is highly recommended for people who like mellow psychedelic rock with some world music and avant-garde electronic influences plus the occasional sonic free-for-all.

Smoke and Mirrors RnB
SR. LANGOSTA

Mawón
SR. LANGOSTA
Playfield (part 1) Ishito, Muhr, Plaks, Takahasi, Namenwirth 7/18/20
PLAYFIELD (CARTER MUHR ISHITO PLAKS NAMENWIRTH TAKAHASHI SWANSON PANIKKAR)
Søhesten