KENNEY POLSON — For Lovers Only Volume II (review)

KENNEY POLSON — For Lovers Only Volume II album cover Album · 2019 · Pop/Art Song/Folk Buy this album from MMA partners
kev rowland
It is strange to hear an album like this in 2019 as in many ways it is about forty years out of time, even down to the backing vocals on the opener “Stella by Starlight”. This is very cleverly performed lounge jazz with often a latin feel, with production, sounds and guitarwork very reminiscent of what was happening with the music scene as they attempted to move away from disco, but were unsuccessful. It is very clever, and Polson is a great soloist playing within arrangements which always have him to the fore, but even the use of electronic keyboard/synths makes it all feel very dated indeed. In many ways I get the impression I am going to get a sugar overload, as there is just so much sweetness, but much of the raw heart has been ripped out of this and it becomes just too bland. Playing one or two songs is fine, but working my way through the album, which I have done multiple times, is still something of an effort as it all feels too plastic, too false, too veneered. I am sure that anyone into this style of jazz will get a great deal from it as there is no doubt that it is very well performed and produced indeed, just not for me.

Kintsugi Nu Jazz
POKAZ TRIO
Bestiario Progressive Big Band
ENSAMBLE MUSICANTES
Projecte Astrolabi Jazz Related Rock
GUILLEM PLANA
Silence, Then Birds Jazz Related Improv/Composition
HYMN (DOWDING / HALLETT / ROSS)
Rough Line Fusion
ANGELO MASTRONARDI

Pokaz Trio - KINTSUGI (Official video)
POKAZ TRIO