Forum Description: Help us improve the forums, and the site as a whole
URL: http://www.JazzMusicArchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=921
Printed Date: 18 Apr 2024 at 9:35pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 10.16 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Maybe free jazz?
Posted By: The_Jester
Subject: Maybe free jazz?
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 8:33pm
I think that free jazz is missing on this website. It's a part of jazz music and it's really good.

Replies:
Posted By: Abraxas
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 8:37pm
It's here, it's part of Avant-Garde Jazz.

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 2:57am
Originally posted by Abraxas Abraxas wrote:

It's here, it's part of Avant-Garde Jazz.

Yeah, understood and I largely agree that they should be kept together , but actually the search for Free Jazz or Free Form Jazz sould be immediately gratified by finding it . Not having the Free Jazz name in the genre list is puzzling, IMHO

Sooooooo, I'd propose that Avant-Garde genre be renamed Avant-garde & free=form jazz 

-------------
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Posted By: Ricochet
Date Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 4:46am
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Sooooooo, I'd propose that Avant-Garde genre be renamed Avant-garde & free=form jazz 

Just one observation, there's free-jazz and free-form (music), not sure what free-form jazz is, in that case. Tongue

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 7:00am
Originally posted by Ricochet Ricochet wrote:

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Just one observation, there's free-jazz and free-form (music), not sure what free-form jazz is, in that case. Tongue

About two years ago, I would've agreed with you, but more recently  I've seen/read both actually, but don't ask me where, though!

-------------
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Posted By: Henry Plainview
Date Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 7:03pm
lol, you didn't look very hard...

Personally, I prefer it to be just avant-garde jazz, I don't like long subgenre names and it's not hard to figure out that free jazz is under avant-garde jazz. People sometimes make a technical distinction between avant-garde jazz is primarily composed, while free jazz is primarily improved, but I think that really doesn't matter.

-------------

Posted By: The Truth
Date Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 7:17pm

/thread

-------------

Posted By: Polo
Date Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by The Truth The Truth wrote:

/thread

Beat me to it.

-------------

That's Kenny G with Miles Davis on my avatar, by the way.

Posted By: andyman1125
Date Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by The Truth The Truth wrote:

/thread

That sounded like Latin Fusion.

-------------

Posted By: Abraxas
Date Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 8:16pm
^indeed, the music is not free jazz at all, that's a pity. But still, I thought the same thing: was going to put the video, but was too lazy.  Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2011 at 3:36am
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

lol, you didn't look very hard...

Personally, I prefer it to be just avant-garde jazz, I don't like long subgenre names and it's not hard to figure out that free jazz is under avant-garde jazz. People sometimes make a technical distinction between avant-garde jazz is primarily composed, while free jazz is primarily improved, but I think that really doesn't matter.

The problem is that avant-garde is a little too broad for its own good>> It includes the Impulse! label's New Thing, in which Alice Coltrane is thrown in...

But Alice is way too far away to be included in free-jazz ala Keith Tippett or Peter Brotzman 

-------------

Posted By: Henry Plainview
Date Posted: 12 Aug 2011 at 9:33pm
I'm not very familiar with Alice Coltrane's discography, but I do know enough that I know what you mean, she's a lot less harsh than Peter Brotzmann. But everything I've ever read about her regards her as avant-garde jazz, and there's also a pretty big difference between EST and Jaga Jazzist in Nu Jazz...

-------------

Posted By: triceratopsoil
Date Posted: 12 Aug 2011 at 9:47pm
olol

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/TullDerGraff" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: seyo
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2011 at 6:22am
Not an expert in free jazz, but from the linguistic and logical standpoint and in order to make "free jazz" tag visible, what do you think to add "Avant-Garde Jazz/Free Jazz" or "Avant-Garde/Free Jazz" as a title of sub-genre?

Posted By: js
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2011 at 6:45am
Thanks for the suggestion, but that has already been brought up. Free jazz is a subset of AG, as explained in our definition, so we will probably keep it that way.

Posted By: seyo
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2011 at 8:21am
Good. :)

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.16 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2013 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk