Forum Description: Discuss any topic at all that is not music-related
URL: http://www.JazzMusicArchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4346
Printed Date: 25 Apr 2024 at 10:10am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 10.16 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Mysteries of the "Miss Beatnik Contest" photo
Posted By: js
Subject: Mysteries of the "Miss Beatnik Contest" photo
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2015 at 1:16pm
One of the more iconic photos of 'beat' culture. 
Anytime this photo is posted, people always wonder, 'who are these women', and 'where are they now', etc.
It is a photo that always sparks curiosity.
Lately, I did a little searching on the internet and actually found one of these women. Hopefully she will be willing to join this thread and let us know what its all about. Wink

The women pictured, starting from the left, are Michi Monteef, Sammy McCord, Patti McCrory and Shaunna Lea. In the back is Jan Vandaveer.

Replies:
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2015 at 9:12pm
Looks like Patti McCrory has joined the site, so my first question will be:
Are you still in touch with any of the other women in the photo?

Date Posted: 29 Sep 2015 at 5:22pm
It appears Patti McCrory is having some computer problems, hopefully that will be sorted out soon and we can resume with some interesting conversation.
Stay tuned. Wink

Posted By: patti.mccrory
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 1:59pm
No.  I saw a few of them in Vegas around 1963 while visiting Gerry McGee (Ventures) in Lounge show.  He is also from Louisiana & we keep in touch.  They were visiting, & I lived there (Minsky's Follies).

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 2:00pm
everything A-Okay now.

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 2:06pm
So glad you finally made it, I have to head to work in a bit, but I'll try to get in a few questions.

I'm going to assume that the Miss Beatnik contest was a bit of a spoof, not entirely serious of course, but all the same, was there ever actually a winner to the contest?

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2015 at 10:11am
I honestly don't remember how the contest came about, but I gave them what they wanted, & appeared on several TV shows, including PAUL COATES CONFIDENTIAL.  We became friends, & he gave me loads of good advice, saying I was an excellent actress, but would never be able to stand up under the control of the movie industry of the 50's....who to date, what to wear, even who to marry...not including a phony background bio & complete change of hair, etc.  He wrote some very good articles about me (against his nature)  in the L.A. Times (or Sun.).  L. A. only had one newspaper that I know of at that time.  My plate was full, working in a Coffee Shop on the beach, protesting at the prison for Carrell Chessman via Steve Allen.  That's another story.   Somewhere in there, I ended up with a contract at the 20th Century Fox New Talent/Acting Class (which was a joke).  I had several aliases, Patti Kelly, Patti Lewis, Patti Butcher, & Kelly Lewis.  My daughter found a site regarding my so-called Beatnik life under the name of Patti Butcher.  As far as Sammy goes (everyone loved Sammy), I don't know where she is.  She was a soft spoken Texan, & very sexy.  When we all moved to Laurel Canyon to the log house, we all "modeled" to make a go of it.  There are about 20 stories in between this whole reply....am trying to keep my thoughts straight.

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2015 at 10:33am
Wow, a lot to digest there.
While doing my research on this, I saw the name Patti Butcher several times, there are some old LA Times articles I've seen, I'll try to bring some things I found to this thread, plenty more to come.

Speaking of Sammy, you and I had an interesting exchange about you and her via email, there was nothing personal there, but if you don't mind, I'd like to post our email conversation about her.

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2015 at 10:44am
Basically I asked you if Sammy was Joyce McCord, mother of actresses Dana Barron and Allison Barron, and this was your answer:

"I doubt Sammy is Joyce....but who knows?!  We all rented a log house in Laurel Canyon.  We did centerfolds, etc. (to pay for acting, fencing lessons).   I saw Sammy in Vegas where I was living in the early 60's, and then looked her up when I was visiting Laurel canyon.  Some band was living there. "

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2015 at 10:51am
What gave me the idea that she was Joyce was this old article, clink on the link and scroll down and you will see a picture of Sammy where they also call her Joyce.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/thedailymirror/page/290/" rel="nofollow - http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/thedailymirror/page/290/

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2015 at 5:27pm
Yes you are correct.  This is definitely Joyce....remember calling her that now.  The guy in the pic did some shots with me.  I believe I used the name "Patti Butcher" at that session, but can't remember the magazine.  Did she remain in California & have 2 daughters that are actresses? 

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2015 at 7:08pm
Possibly so, I'm going to dig up a film clip for you to check that might tell us more.

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2015 at 7:20pm
Supposedly this Joyce McCord acted in one movie, Russ Myers' "Wild Gals of the Naked West".

Check this clip at the 25 second mark and tell me if that is Sammy or not, I can't tell, but it sure looks like her.
The link isn't a live link, you have to do a copy and paste with the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7KSsYaHgew

Date Posted: 27 Oct 2015 at 11:04am
I'm still computer illiterate..do not cut & paste, etc.  I even went to the youtube site & pulled up the site# to no avail.  I then scrolled through every video....searching.   There has to be a better way.  Can you just e-mail the video to me?  It sounds like something Joyce (Sammie) would appear in, if it was a none-speaking part.  We all had thick southern accents, but I managed to hide mine.

Date Posted: 27 Oct 2015 at 1:09pm
Ha ha, when I moved to California from the south back in the 80s, the first thing I did was get rid of my accent, I got tired of people making fun of it, ha.

Let me find a better way for you to see this movie clip and I will get back to you in a few minutes.

Posted By: snobb
Date Posted: 27 Oct 2015 at 2:22pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7KSsYaHgew" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7KSsYaHgew

Date Posted: 27 Oct 2015 at 2:26pm

Thanks, Slava. 
Just click on the link and look for Sammy at the 25 second mark, maybe that is her.

Originally posted by snobb snobb wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7KSsYaHgew" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7KSsYaHgew

Date Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 9:46am
Yep!  Didn't catch the date, but she hasn't changed at all....all 3 of her.  (LOL)

Date Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 9:53am
Ha ha, I thought that was her. Its looking like Joyce McCord is most likely Sammy.
Let me see what else I can find about her to show you. 

In the meantime,  ... at first I thought the name Michi Monteef was made up. I couldn't find anything about her, until I found a woman named Michelle Monteef who got married in California, somewhere a bit further up the coast I think, in the early 60s, possibly her?

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 1:26pm
Was she the blonde?  didn't know her.  We left her behind when we moved to Laurel Canyon.

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by patti.mccrory patti.mccrory wrote:

Was she the blonde?  didn't know her.  We left her behind when we moved to Laurel Canyon.

Yeah, thats her, she doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the group.

Did the other two, Shaunna Lea or Jan Vandaveer, live with you and Sammy too?
Jan Vandaveer looks like a live wire, like somebody who could get you in a lot of trouble, ha.
Just curious, why is Jan way in the background for the photo?

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2015 at 3:11pm
I didn't know the girl in the back, but Shaunna was a beautiful red head, & lived with us...also modeled. 

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2015 at 7:01pm
I've always been interested in late 50s to early 60s California culture, life before the big hippie invasion.
What was some of the music you'll were into, favorite styles of music or favorite artists? Who or what would you be listening to at parties etc, and who would you go see live at clubs?

Date Posted: 03 Nov 2015 at 8:00am
Actually I was too young to get into clubs.  I got away with it in Louisiana, but not in L. A.  We listened to Jazz, June Cristi (Christi?), Julie London, and believe it or not, Frank Sinatra ("Only the Lonely" album) & Les Baxter.....his music with the drums & nature sounds in the background.  Most late afternoons or evenings, we'd gather around the bongo & conga players & dance.  That was my favorite time.  My surfer boyfriend played the bongos.  That was the closest thing to work he ever came to.  You don't remember, but there was a popular TV show out at the time called "Dobbie Gillis."  The Beatnik on the show was Maynard, & his favorite expression was "Work? Work? What, me work?!"  We didn't own TV's, but later when I moved into the city & worked for the Dodgers, we rented one.   Oh yeah, forgot to mention my favorite Nina Simone.  I still cannot listen to her without crying a bit.

Date Posted: 03 Nov 2015 at 9:19am
"My surfer boyfriend played the bongos.  That was the closest thing to work he ever came to." LOL

I'm a big fan of Les Baxter, his records are very collectable now and I found quite a few in good shape at thrift stores in San Francisco in the 90s. I also like Maynard on Dobie Gillis. Bob Denver (later Gilligan) was a childhood hero of mine, ha ha.

What clubs did you go to in Louisiana, would this be New Orleans?
I would imagine New Orleans would be about the only city in the south to have a beat scene at that time.

Date Posted: 03 Nov 2015 at 11:06am
Okay, the "computer genius" is replying to these questions.  I wrote a LONG e-mail replying to this recently, but it was returned as "no-reply site" or something.  If you can pull it up, and do your thing, let me know.  If not, I'll answer you questions again.  Thanx

Date Posted: 03 Nov 2015 at 11:39am
I am really sorry if a long answer got lost, just know that websites and computers are a big aggravation for all of us.
Make sure you're logging in under the right name, remember we corrected your site name, watch out for default setttings that use your original name.
Also, sometimes this forum will tell you something didn't post, when actually it did, this happens to me a lot.

All the same, don't get discouraged, your stories are priceless.
Let me know if there are more problems.

Date Posted: 03 Nov 2015 at 9:30pm

Here is a picture of Dana Barron, daughter of Joyce Barron. I think she has a strong resemblance to the picture of Sammy. Let me know what you think.
Click on the link. Wink
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0057654/?ref_=nm_dyk_trv1" rel="nofollow - http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0057654/?ref_=nm_dyk_trv1

Date Posted: 04 Nov 2015 at 4:28pm
The album (googled it) by Les Baxter was "Quiet Village."  I loved the sounds, & still buy flute, nature, etc. cd's.
My youngest daughter had her pic taken with the crew from Gilligan's Island....I believe in Florida (or Hawaii) on her Honeymoon.  (most of the cast)
My favorite hangout on Bourbon St. in New Orleans was Papa Joe's.  At the time it had a fabulous jazz juke box, and nothing more...but a lot of happy people.  I understand it was made into a pretty big club before Katrina.  I don't know what it is now, and don't care.  It's so nasty now.  The "boy next door" in Natchitoches, LA (Steel Magnolias) and later a movie critic, etc., Red Reed, and I were joined at the hip.  His parents moved to Baton Rouge later.  We put our black turtle necked sweaters & shades (sun glasses) on in the middle of Summer, & hit a Jazz bar there.  Sweat was pouring off of us as we stumbled and fell over everything there!  We were just trying to be "cool."  I was suppose to move to Hollywood & act, & he was going to New York & write....whoever made it first was suppose to help the other out.  Let's just say that he had more discipline than I.  Everytime I played Edith Piaf I thought about our High School days and how much we adored her!

Date Posted: 05 Nov 2015 at 5:56am
Ha ha, a beat scene of two people, thats great, what can be more important than being cool. Cool

I'm sure you have a typo up there, I'm sure you meant Rex Reed, which is awesome, I don't suppose you'll ever talk anymore?

Also, I was wondering what year did you give up on California and move back home. As you know, California was about to change a lot over the rest of the 60s.

Date Posted: 29 Nov 2015 at 11:56am
Let me know if you get this.  I don't know what in hades I'm doing.  Just returned from Houston & trying to figure this out.....again.  Rex and I make contact once a year.  After yrs of making fun of our home town, Natchitoches, LA, & the movie, "Steel Magnolias" they talked him into returning for captain of some huge parade there.  I thought it was comical.
I stayed in Venice for awhile longer, since San Francisco was the "dirty hippie city."  We even posed in a bath tub on the beach full of bubbles with the caption "Beatniks bathe."  Last I heard, a couple of my charcoals were still hanging in Big Daddys.  My granddaughter & her boyfriend made it a point to visit there, & my granddaughter had many pics taken pointing to me by tourist.  She's my little Flower Child.. 

Date Posted: 29 Nov 2015 at 5:46pm
Sorry, forgot to answer your question concerning leaving L. A.   I got a 20th Century New Acting Class deal.  It was a real joke...mostly spoiled little girls with actor-parents.  The coolest guy I met on the acting class circuit was that cute little guy that played on Father Knows Best.  Everyone encouraged me to go to New York, & convinced me that I was "New York" not Hollywood.    I then moved to New York, & know I will upset many, but hated it!  I had no desire to mingle in the Village, & Rex was in the middle of his love life, so I joined Minsky's Follies & transferred to Vegas.  There are several stories in between these lines, but too long, etc.

Date Posted: 29 Nov 2015 at 7:24pm
Thanks Patti, there's a lot of info there to get back to, in the meanwhile, I wanted to make sure you saw this link with the woman who may be your friend Sammy's actor child. 

Originally posted by js js wrote:

Here is a picture of Dana Barron, daughter of Joyce Barron. I think she has a strong resemblance to the picture of Sammy. Let me know what you think.
Click on the link. Wink
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0057654/?ref_=nm_dyk_trv1" rel="nofollow - http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0057654/?ref_=nm_dyk_trv1

Date Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 4:46pm
Honestly, I don't know.  anyone can resemble anyone in that biz.  somehow I doubt very seriously if Joyce (Sammie) could possibly do stage acting; could be wrong tho.  A lot of water has gone under the bridge since then.  Have they any idea who her father is?  I did see her in Lampoon Vacation tho...was precious!

Date Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 8:00pm
Okay.  I was bored, so googled (& all that Jazz) Dana & Joyce McCord.  It was quite confusing, as I still can't picture Joyce as a stage actress.  Also, I didn't see any recent pics of her.  I do believe that Dana is her daughter, however, and a cute one at that.  Do you have any recent pics of Joyce (Sammy)?  I read somewhere in the bio that Dana's mom was from Alabama.  Now that makes total sense as she had a very thick southern accent.  She told us all that she and her "sister" were from Texas.  Her sister had an accent too & was a beautiful blonde.  Those are the 2 I saw in Vegas.

Date Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 8:36pm
I did not find any recent pics of Joyce (Sammy), but I have seen a bio somewhere, I'll look around for it, but as I recall, she moved to NYC and married a preacher, I think her kids moved back to California to be actors. I'll look around and see if I can find it.

As for her daughter Dana, I see a very strong resemblance to the Sammy in the original Miss Beatnik photo, look at her mouth in particular, the eyes are quite similar too, ... but maybe I'm wrong.

Posted By: mmcleod
Date Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 9:03pm
My name is Melanie Mcleod. My mother is Patti McCrory -/in the beatnik pic - I have been working on a book about her years in Venice beach , Vegas and Laurel Canyon. She has led a remarkable life and is a wonderful source of a bygone era. I owe my free spirit and courage to fly outside the box to her. I teach biology and astronomy - her experiences with the early space program are just unbeatable. She still has the "beat". I have many pics my daughters have found in cyberspace. When I can find the pic attachment I will post them. My daughter Miriam had visited Venice beach recently and the old coffee shop is still there. I adore my mother   She is forever young and will always be one cool cat    [URL= ][/URL][EMAIL= ][/EMAIL][EMAIL= ][/EMAIL][URL= ][/URL]

Date Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 9:56pm
Hi Melanie, and thanks so much for joining. Let me know if you need any help.
We are hoping this thread will become a meeting place for all the fans of that photo, plus late 50s-early 60s California, beat culture etc. When I do google searches about that photo, this thread usually comes out first.
This, of course, will be a great place to promote your book too.
I'm about to head out for the night, but I'll be around a lot tomorrow.

Date Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 10:22pm
sammy married a preacher you say?  I can't say anything.....I did too, the 3rd time.  He was in the Prison Ministry....should have been IN the prison!!  This reminds me of that song "Son of a Preacher Man"....in fact Sammy sort of favors that beautiful brunette that sang it.  Heck, I think she (Bobbie Gentry?) was from Alabama too?  Must be something in the water!
Yes, looking a bit closer, Dana has certain features that remind me of her mom.  beautiful girl!

Date Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 10:26pm
My daughter also has a pic of me & my pseudo-intellectual poetry (?) reading freaks at Ricky Nelson's house.  Ricky loved him some little beatniks!  His mom wasn't too keen on his choice tho.  I met Dennis Hopper there.  Now, he was born a Beatnik!  A very cool guy till the end!  In fact, his home (cool home) was built on Venice Beach.

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2015 at 5:27am
Dennis Hopper at a party at Ricky Nelson's house ... Shocked
I don't think anyone was expecting that. LOL

Did people improvise music in the background, while you or others read your poetry?

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2015 at 5:45am
I'm thinking this Melody McCord must be the blond 'sister' you met. Click the link to see and read about Melody.
I get the impression Joyce and her are related, but maybe not actually sisters, ... possibly cousins ?
http://www.harpiesbizarre.com/melody_mccord.htm" rel="nofollow - http://www.harpiesbizarre.com/melody_mccord.htm

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2015 at 6:37pm
I never believed she was Sammy's real sister, but this girl is a dead-ringer for her!  I had forgotten her name.
No, Dennis Hopper was not at Ricky's house; sorry bout that.  I met Dennis when his then-girlfriend fixed me up on a blind date w/some comedian (can't remember name).  We had a wonderful time, & Dennis was so sweet.  Of course I was very underaged then, & this was before his wild & wooley days.  We double dated several times, but neither of us could stand the Hollywood scene or parties. 

Date Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 2:00am
Dennis always came across as unpretentious.
You may have already seen this bio of Dana Barron in Wikipedia, it mentions Joyce a bit, plus her Dad also, here is an excerpt:

Barron was born in  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City" rel="nofollow - New York City https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York" rel="nofollow - New York . Her mother, Joyce McCord, is a stage actress. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dana_Barron#cite_note-FilmReference-1" rel="nofollow - [1]  Her father, Robert Weeks Barron, was a director of commercials and a  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congregational_church" rel="nofollow - Congregationalist  church pastor; Robert founded The Weist-Barron School of Television, the first commercial and soap opera acting for television school in the world. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dana_Barron#cite_note-FilmReference-1" rel="nofollow - [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dana_Barron#cite_note-CelebrityParents-2" rel="nofollow - [2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dana_Barron#cite_note-3" rel="nofollow - [3]  Barron has a sister named Allison. She is a fifth generation entertainer. Her grandfather was an opera singer, and her mother moved from Alabama to become an actress. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dana_Barron#cite_note-CelebrityParents-2" rel="nofollow - [2] "

I thought I had seen a fuller bio for Joyce somewhere, but maybe not. There are of course, a lot more pictures of Dana out there, and she looks very much like Sammy in a couple of them.

Date Posted: 14 Dec 2015 at 3:56pm
I also googled Dana's father.  Seems like he was quite a bit older than Joyce (Sammy).  Dana is a beautiful gal.

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 10:29pm
It has been very interesting having your input on all this, this has confirmed a lot of the things I thought from the beginning. If I ever come across any contact info for Joyce, I would send that to you by private email, but so far, I haven't seen that.
Also, if your granddaughter, or daughter, have come across any old photos, we would love to post those too.

I took one more look for your old friend in the photo, "Shaunna Lea". I'm going to guess that maybe that wasn't her full name. Possibly Shaunna was her first name, and maybe Lea was her middle name, but I'm guessing she had a last name too.
With that in mind, I found a Shaunna Lea Boyce who got married in Southern California in the early 60s, this woman died at a fairly young age (similar age for a lot of cigarette smokers), I have no idea if that is the woman in the Miss Beatnik photo, but I didn't see many more people to look at.

Date Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 10:00am
We lived on Kirkwood Drive in Laurel Canyon (off Sunset Blvd. in Hollywood).  Our single land lord lived nx door, and was named Rick Morrison.  He knew everyone & everything in Hollywood.  I visited him several times through the years, but don't know if he's still living.  He definitely knew the "girls" and was a cool guy.  If you do run across him, he knew me by Patti Butcher. (if his memory is still there). LOL

Date Posted: 18 Dec 2015 at 9:48am
I'll have to look around for him some time, in the meantime...
You mentioned working for the LA Dodgers, what was that about? Do you recall what years that was?
I know a lot of early 60s baseball, I can still name a lot of the players, especially the Dodgers, Giants and Reds.

Date Posted: 18 Dec 2015 at 10:13am
that's a whole other story...I believe it was around 1960.  The Dodgers moved from Brooklyn to L. A. where they played in the old Ram's Football stadium...& won the World Series that first year.  I worked for them as a  "Floating" Secty. the year after that.  the big stars then were Sandy Koufax & Don Drysdale.   I started off in the Executive office working for the owner, Walter O'Malley.  I was then transferred to the Scouting Dept. (Mr. Campasi), & then to the Tickey & Publications office where I worked for Harold Parrott.  Mr. Parrott was my dearest friend thru many yrs after I left.  I believe he ended up working with the Seattle Pilots.  He later wrote a book which was made into a movie.  He was a fabulous Journalist in New York & L. A.  One of my bosses left the Dodgers & formed the San Diego Padres.  Another boss (Lefty Phillips) played for the Angels before either of us were born.  Most of the players came to L. A. with the Brooklyn Dodgers.  There was Duke Snyder, Gil Hodges, etc.  Once when I lived in Vegas, Maury Wills & a few other players came to see me at Minsky's Follies where I was dancing.  They were doing a little show at one of the Casinos.  ALL OF THIS WAS BACK WHEN BASEBALL RULED. 

Date Posted: 20 Dec 2015 at 6:21pm
Those are all familiar names, the two I would add to that would be Tommy and Willie Davis, but they may have come on a year later.
Thats quite an honor to have Maury Wills come out and see you, what kind of shows were you doing in Vegas?

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2015 at 7:28pm
Willie Davis was there when I worked for the Dodgers, and I believe he was one that was appearing in a show in Vegas.  I believe the other 3 were Frank Howard, Maury Wills, & Don Drysdale.  I think this is correct.  I never went to see it.  I was a dancer in Minsky's Follies at the Frontier in Vegas.  They came in one night to gamble and we ran into each other.  We were not allowed to date the players when I worked for the Dodgers, but it was probably better that way, because we all became good friends ONLY.
There was a Tommy Davis who was born here in Shreveport, LA who played for the famous LSU Chinese Bandits back in 1957-58 & won the National championship.   He even went to my old high school.  I believe Tommy and Willie both have passed away.

Date Posted: 24 Dec 2015 at 8:37pm
Looks like Willie Davis passed away about five years ago, but I'm not sure about Tommy.

You mentioned earlier about protests concerning Carrell Chessmann, it seems his story is mostly forgotten now, maybe you could shed some light on what that was all about.

Date Posted: 25 Dec 2015 at 7:39pm
From what I can remember, Steve Allen & his wife Jayne Meadows, & crew all came down to Big Daddy's Place in Venice Beach where I was staying at the time.....recruiting people to march a Protest march against the Death Penalty concerning Carrell Chessman, and receive a small salary.  It was just another crazy way to make a living and have a blast.  Our art wasn't selling at all, etc.  My girlfriend and I were just breaking even at the Coffee House.  When my granddaughter visited there, she said it was still there, & doing great with all the tourist and all.  Steve Allen loved my art.  He was a pretty cool guy.

Date Posted: 26 Dec 2015 at 1:07am
Do you still have any of your art work, or is any still on display anywhere?

Date Posted: 30 Dec 2015 at 10:18am
no.  I've move at least 100 times since then.  The one Steve Allen loved was a terra cotta charcoal of Big Daddy.  Last I heard it was hanging in the new place.  It took me about 30 minutes to complete.  We all cracked up when Steve Allen looked at all the art & said, "Now this is what I call real art."

Posted By: dreadpirateroberts
Date Posted: 30 Dec 2015 at 7:12pm
Wow, great thread :)
Thanks JS & Patti for organising/sharing!

Can I ask, who was everyone reading / not reading at the time?

-------------
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/dreadpirateroberts%28member%29.aspx?reviews=all/" rel="nofollow - Reviews...

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 2:03pm
Ginsberg, Sylvia Plath (my favorite), Kerouac, David Meltzer, etc., and of course psychology.  That's was everyone's major back then.  We didn't gave a hoot about politics...we were totally anti-society.

Date Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 8:03pm
It seems to me that the beats were a more individualistic and eclectic group, whereas the hippies set out to be non-conformists, among themselves, they became very conformist with their own set of standards and rules to follow. I get the feeling the beats were never as homogeneous as the hippies eventually became...
although I'm hardly an expert.

Anyway, of the writers you mention, did you ever encounter any of them in person?

Date Posted: 19 Jan 2016 at 12:26am
Originally posted by patti.mccrory patti.mccrory wrote:

Ginsberg, Sylvia Plath (my favorite), Kerouac, David Meltzer, etc., and of course psychology.  That's was everyone's major back then.  We didn't gave a hoot about politics...we were totally anti-society.

Thanks! Can I ask, how did you find say, 'On the Road' during the time - and have you re-read it since maybe? Has your opinion of it changed at all?

Love Plath's poetry, stunning

-------------
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/dreadpirateroberts%28member%29.aspx?reviews=all/" rel="nofollow - Reviews...

Date Posted: 19 Jan 2016 at 12:27am
Originally posted by js js wrote:

I get the feeling the beats were never as homogeneous as the hippies eventually became...

Agreed - that sounds about right to me (only from reading and/or watching interviews of course)

-------------

Posted By: madisondaviiss
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 1:11pm
I am serious,
Where is Sammy McCord now?

She was so nice. Smile

Posted By: madisondaviiss
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 1:17pm
She was amazing in the clip. 

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 1:23pm
This was about all I could find:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0566381/?ref_=nmbio_trv_2" rel="nofollow - https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0566381/?ref_=nmbio_trv_2

Posted By: Agras
Date Posted: 15 Aug 2023 at 2:33am
Joyce Lynn McCord passed away in 2017, at the age of 77; what a sweet creature she was.

Here is her obituary.
http://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/anniston-al/joyce-mccord-7357178" rel="nofollow - http://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/anniston-al/joyce-mccord-7357178

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.16 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2013 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk