URL: http://www.JazzMusicArchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1932
Printed Date: 04 May 2024 at 11:33pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 10.16 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Which album have you heard the most
Posted By: dreadpirateroberts
Subject: Which album have you heard the most
Date Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 8:52am
After similar polls seen round the traps:

Which album (jazz or otherwise) do you estimate you've heard the most? How many spins?

For me no surprises, probably Led Zeppelin IV - as to the amount of times, no chance of guessing, but a few
Second might be Dark side of the Moon

Jazz album would be KOB with Koln Concert up there somewhere too

(Obviously newer albums can't compete so well in turns of total spins, as I've owned some of the classics much longer)

-------------
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/dreadpirateroberts%28member%29.aspx?reviews=all/" rel="nofollow - Reviews...

Replies:
Posted By: js
Date Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 10:26am
The jazz album I've heard the most would be Miles' "Agharta", I used to listen to that all the time, a close second would be "Miles Live at the Fillmore". Sun Ra's "Angels and Demons at Play" is another old favorite.
Most played non-jazz album would be one of the classical albums from my youth, possibly "Scherezade". Deep Purple's "Made in Japan" is a long time favorite.
Going back to early favorites on the AM radio, I'd say "Sly and the Family Stone Greatest Hits" is one that might still get played.

Posted By: idlero
Date Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 1:43pm
Being a relative new comer to jazz and having experienced more than 2000 albums, I didn't have much time to dedicate  to any specific album although I do have some favorites. I don't think I listened more than 20-30 times to any specific album.Now, the piece I listened to most times is John Surman's 'Nestor's Saga' for which I had a fixation at some time.

Non jazz, beside classical music where I might have listened tens  to hundreds of times to some works, I guess I listened most to Pink Floyd 'Wish you were here' and Jean Michel Jarre 'Oygene' .

-------------
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns

Posted By: darkshade
Date Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 2:28pm
Based on memory, I would say my top 5 most listened are:

Return to Forever - "Romantic Warrior"
Herbie Hancock - "Thrust"
also: "Sextant", "Headhunters", "Man-Child", and "Mr. Hands"
Miles Davis - "Kind of Blue"
also: "Big Fun" and "In A Silent Way".
John Scofield - "Uberjam"
Jaco Pastorious - "Jaco Pastorious"

Didn't want to "Flood" Wink the list with Herbie Hancock albums, as all those albums of his were listened to A LOT by me a few years back, and still get the occasional listen. I know these have been listened to a lot, as they are albums I overplayed, which is not necessarily something I do with most jazz albums. The list makes it look like I rarely listen to non-fusion jazz, but the thing is, I started out with fusion, and slowly got more and more into post-bop, hard bop, modal jazz, etc. So this list represents the albums I've had for a longer time, and enjoyed extensively. If this were a top 10, there'd be more non-fusion albums in placements 6-10.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/MysticBoogy" rel="nofollow - My Last.fm

Posted By: Kazuhiro
Date Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 7:09pm

Probably it is "Wired" of Jeff Beck for me. The origin that I used for fusion. Or it may be "I.O.U" of Allan Holdsworth. I am always a big fan of AH.

If it is jazz, I will choose "Ugetsu" of Art Blakey. It was the moment when it realized charm and the talent that Wayne Shorter had at the same time again.

Posted By: bytor2112
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 6:43pm
The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway by Genesis, according to iTunes I have listened to it start to finish 165 times.

-------------

Posted By: Polymorphia
Date Posted: 20 Dec 2012 at 4:42pm
Of any album? Probably a Radiohead album. Any of them from OK Computer onward.

Of any Jazz album? Probably KOB. My dad's upcoming album has been on repeat all over the house and in every car, so I would think that takes a close second.

Posted By: Cannonball With Hat
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 2:51am
I haven't the slightest idea. LOL

I'm going to assume something by K Crimson. Perhaps Discipline or Larks' Tongues.

-------------
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 7:08am
Oy.... I suppose it would be my very first album I ever boughtSupertramp's Crime Of The Century... I bought the second day it was out in Canada (Sept 74) and played the vinyl transparent.... OK, I more or less didn't listen to it for over a decade (the 80's), but since it's one of these albums my GF of 20 years loves, it still gets a fair bit of spins nowadays, especially when travelling long distances by car... Yup, I have to make compromises with her: she doesn't like jazz at all (excepted stuff like ella and Satchmo), so I have to remain within the bounds of her tastes, meeting mine... others heard almost too many times that I regularly play in her presence are early JM Jarre, Pink Floyd, some "symphonic" Tangerine Dream (Force Majeure-type), etc...  

Others would be Caravanserai, Hymn Of The Seventh Galaxy, Sad Wings Of Destiny ( not jazz, but yeah, I still spin that once or twice a year), A Love Supreme, Tyner's Sahara ,  Out Of Focus' s/t album, etc...

-------------
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.16 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2013 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk