Print Page | Close Window

2012 releases-opinions and recommendations

Printed From: JazzMusicArchives.com
Category: Jazz Music Lounges
Forum Name: Jazz Music Lounge
Forum Description: General jazz music discussions (no polls)
URL: http://www.JazzMusicArchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1461
Printed Date: 25 Apr 2024 at 8:24am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 10.16 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 2012 releases-opinions and recommendations
Posted By: idlero
Subject: 2012 releases-opinions and recommendations
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 5:39am
Well, I think it's time to open this thread

I like it

-------------
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns

Replies:
Posted By: snobb
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 9:40am
Great news for EST maniacs - new Lars Danielsson album "Liberetto" is even closer to Swedes trio territory than his previous works. Usual strong line-up - with Armenian pianist Tigran Hamasyan instead of Polish star Leszek Możdżer (excellent collaborator on Danielsson some last successful albums) and former EST drummer  Magnus Öström  among others.

As a result - lyrical,very melodic and slightly sentimental Danielsson music switched a bit from soulful Chopin-influenced Slavic folklore scented nu jazz/world fusion crossover to not much different EST-like contemporary jazz/nu jazz mix with Caucasus and Nordic folk tunes. 

If you miss mid-period EST music and like soulful world tunes in your music - you will enjoy this album for sure

Date Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 10:34am
^ sounds good enough for me Wink

-------------
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns

Date Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 1:24pm
Lars Danielsson talking about his new album:

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=41227&pg=1" rel="nofollow - http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=41227&pg=1

-------------
Ken Burns

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 2:08pm

hard rock becomes lyrical chamber ballads, interesting

-------------
Ken Burns

Posted By: dreadpirateroberts
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 7:31am
Enjoying this at the moment - and I love the title and cover too, as an aside. A fairly relaxed (but not dull) album in some ways

-------------
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/dreadpirateroberts%28member%29.aspx?reviews=all/" rel="nofollow - Reviews...

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 10:28am
Originally posted by dreadpirateroberts dreadpirateroberts wrote:

Enjoying this at the moment - and I love the title and cover too, as an aside. A fairly relaxed (but not dull) album in some ways

yes, a light(but nice) one from John Zorn

-------------
Ken Burns

Posted By: darkshade
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 11:04am
^ Sounds like his 2009 album O'o

Similar?

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/MysticBoogy" rel="nofollow - My Last.fm

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 8:15am
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Similar?

I find 'Mount Analogue' to be more satisfying, it is more varied although less 'jazzy', it blends world music, jazz, contemporary classical and more.

-------------
Ken Burns

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2012 at 3:35pm
I really like this one

-------------
Ken Burns

Posted By: Matt
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2012 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by idlero idlero wrote:

I really like this one

What happened to the trio ? Sounds interesting. I have the first one on ECM. "Changing Places" and it is very good. Must give it another play soon. Beautiful pianist Tord.

-------------
Matt

Date Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 12:22am
Originally posted by Matt Matt wrote:

I really like this one

What happened to the trio ? Sounds interesting. I have the first one on ECM. "Changing Places" and it is very good. Must give it another play soon. Beautiful pianist Tord.

I guess TG is experimenting. After using a quintet ( adding sax and vocals) on 'Restored, Returned",  he kept only the sax and gave up the vocals which weren't too well received by some of the fans.

-------------
Ken Burns

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 5:10am

much acclaimed but not my cup of tea

-------------
Ken Burns

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 5:14am
unimpressed by

-------------
Ken Burns

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 5:39am
^ Pop-jazz (and just pop) with world music elements: few world fusion pieces are not so bad but pop songs are openly boring

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 8:05am
^ 'Breakfast in Baghdad' and 'Psalmen' are my favourites, 'Vagabond' and'Bretagne' are OK, the rest I find boring

-------------
Ken Burns

Date Posted: 15 Feb 2012 at 10:07am

Clap

-------------
Ken Burns

Date Posted: 15 Feb 2012 at 12:17pm

Similar?

I find 'Mount Analogue' to be more satisfying, it is more varied although less 'jazzy', it blends world music, jazz, contemporary classical and more.

I like the sound of that. may have to check this out.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2012 at 7:28am

mix of 'ECM like' ballads and more modern pieces, I liked 'Aurora' better

-------------
Ken Burns

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2012 at 2:50pm

not much jazz here, contemporary classical music and a bit of experimental, interesting enough

-------------
Ken Burns

Date Posted: 19 Feb 2012 at 3:16am

much acclaimed but not my cup of tea

Good as almost any Tim Berne's release, not easy listening - requires time and work to be accepted, but rewarding music after that. Still quite accessible comparing with some other avant-garde jazz albums LOL

Date Posted: 19 Feb 2012 at 5:44am
^ quite a surprising release considering ECM's releases in recent years

-------------
Ken Burns

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2012 at 2:52am
Great ECM's start of the season - I expect they realized their quality but safe formula can't control their market segment anymore so searching for new solutions.I am sure they aren't going to make the revolution in releasing strategy, but possibly we'll see more not so predictable albums in their program Big smile. In all cases, this album is probably the first one coming from 2012 (from what I heard) which is worth repeating listening

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 2:48am
 Too safe and predictable, in moments too much Jarrett-like - but still nice music

Date Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 2:15pm
Already traditional for DeJohnette world fusion album - lot of Latin,Afro-Cuban,pop-jazz, Esperanza Spalding on vocals,etc. Pleasant and easy accessible listening, not for fans of DeJohnette post bop works though..

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 10:19am
Quite nice Corea's new album - orchestrated work in a manner of Miles' "Sketches Of Spain". Bonus CD - same session's recordings of Corea's band without orchestra.Released on German prestigious classic music label Deutsche Grammophon 

Date Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 10:48am

50/50 hip-hop/r'n'b with jazzy arrangements. Quite pleasant relaxed keyboards,lot of guest vocalists but terrible plasticky drums are far not to everyone's taste

Date Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 11:38am
Originally posted by snobb snobb wrote:

50/50 hip-hop/r'n'b with jazzy arrangements. Quite pleasant relaxed keyboards,lot of guest vocalists but terrible plasticky drums are far not to everyone's taste

didn't enjoy it

-------------
Ken Burns

Date Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 2:06pm
I have ordered the album Ermm It has Mesheel and Erykah. ............why me.

-------------
Matt

Date Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 2:43pm
May be not so bad album - I just hate drum machines and coming from disco-era plasticky drumming,but it just meWink

You can check MP3 sample on front page

Date Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 4:04pm

May be not so bad album - I just hate drum machines and coming from disco-era plasticky drumming,but it just meWink

You can check MP3 sample on front page
Keep it a surprise now,  SlavaLOL

-------------
Matt

Date Posted: 03 Mar 2012 at 11:19am

nice

-------------
Ken Burns

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2012 at 3:58am

Too safe and predictable, in moments too much Jarrett-like - but still nice music

available for listening at the npr music site
http://www.npr.org/2012/03/04/147514971/first-listen-vijay-iyer-trio-accelerando?ft=1&f=10002

-------------
Ken Burns

Date Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 2:30am

Thumbs Up

Thumbs Down

-------------
Ken Burns

Date Posted: 08 Mar 2012 at 6:00pm

Typical Katie Melua - nice songs, a bit too faceless but pleasant. Magic of  "Nine Million Bicycles" has gone...

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 5:09pm

Beautiful music!

-------------
Ken Burns

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2012 at 2:51pm

Another EST - influenced trio (besides of Michael Wollny's ). If  Wollny's (em) are more adventurous and have lot of own signature in their music, Phronesis new release sounds as quality ECM clone. From lot of positive reviews around Europe (mostly UK though) it looks European jazz critics see Wollny's and Phronesis modern jazz style dictators

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2012 at 3:13pm
^ one of my favourites this year,in this case I tend to agree with the British critics

-------------
Ken Burns

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2012 at 5:41am

Thumbs Up

Not adventurous at all but quality contemporary jazz  - good album in its genre

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 4:37am

quite a disaster  - very few interesting moments, all other - hard-bop based smooth jazz played on restaurant band's manner Unhappy

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 5:32am
IMO one of Chick Corea's best releases in recent years

-------------
Ken Burns

Date Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 8:57am

quite a disaster  - very few interesting moments, all other - hard-bop based smooth jazz played on restaurant band's manner Unhappy

While pretty conventional , I find their music  nice with some really interesting moments and very well played.
Apparently some people are really enthusiastic about it:
' Few records can compare with Yes!for its sheer beauty, singular brevity of statement, richness of ideas and absolutely virtuosic perfection'-from All About Jazz review
Conclusion-try it and decide for yourself

-------------
Ken Burns

Date Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 9:20am
As always, any opinion depends on taste and point of view Smile

AllMusicGuide (place where you will hardly find negative or even slightly critical review at all) writes on this album :

"Goldberg's playing is a little too smooth and deft for the Monk tune; he loses the elbows-on-the-keys feel that's required to give the melody any real kick, and it winds up feeling somewhat restaurant-piano-player-ish. "

I believe listeners who like smooth jazz,pleasant easy accessible listening really will be happy with this album anyway, that means album will find its listener for sure. For those with allergy to "sell-out"  feel in music, especially in jazz, there are openly too much of that in this release.In all cases, all three musicians are really professional, musical genre is just a question of taste...

Date Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 10:29am
Luckily there's only one Monk tune in the album LOL

-------------
Ken Burns

Date Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 4:04pm
Thumbs Up

-------------
Ken Burns

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 10:10am

modern, contemporary sound, touching on AG, quite interesting, takes me more than one listening to dig it

-------------
Ken Burns

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 11:22am

another British album highly praised by the British critics, personally I liked their previous release much better

-------------
Ken Burns

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 4:11am

UK acid jazz veterans on this album are more soul-oriented, not so funky, in moments sound as just pop band. Still melodic and danceable 

Posted By: js
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 1:33pm
Ferrian's Nutimbre "Risk" is excellent modern AG, very witty, almost humorous.

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 7:42am

another classic EST Hug

-------------
Ken Burns

Posted By: Ricochet
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 7:10am
My round-up of the first three months:

new Tord Gustavsen Quartet quite quite good
Vijay's Accelerando doesn't pack the punch the previous ones did, but I still enjoyed it
Andy Sheppard has something new that sounds like Andy Sheppard, therefore by definition something nice
quirky album from Lovecraft's Aunts one could check out, available from http://discordianrecords.bandcamp.com/releases" rel="nofollow - free
Lacrimosa by Plaistow, also http://plaistow.bandcamp.com/album/lacrimosa" rel="nofollow - available , a sort of The Necks vs. Steve Reich with arguably a bit of math rock in it as well

more in the meh bracket: Lars Danielsson, Forgas Band Phenomena, a new Mats Gustafsson / Nilssen-Love (but that can be a good thing, too, since I can relax from all the palpitations Gustafsson has given me with each performance the past two years or so). My most controversial meh (given its acclaim) goes out to Portico Quartet. Starts really solid, gradually derisive.

Of the two Zorns, Gnostic Preludes is good, I disliked Mount Analogue a lot - but really, I feel Zorn couldn't be more bored coming up with these new compositions.

No bottomers I can think of, except Haden & Jones (2012, though? can't recall). Give no damn award goes to Jack DeJohnette's album.

That leaves E.S.T. Overall, I didn't desire for such an addenda. I mean, really - four years having passed, both Berglund and Ostrom having long settled for a new orientation, and I'm supposed to believe this isn't just the usual posthumous mishap of ransacking through material that never got released (even with the admittedly great excuse that it's from the same session as Leucocyte).

But let me put it another way: as every E.S.T. album, for me, was its own sort of "story", 301 doesn't even come close. Yes, it is closure compared to Leucocyte, it's more peaceful and cleaner, has beautiful tunes and all, but it's also the "B-side" of that batch. To have such mixed feelings about an E.S.T. album, almost for the first time ever, is (for the fanboy I am) close to a tragic feeling. That being said, there are two very good epics, one in fact breathtaking and deserving classic status - so there would have been a shame never to hear them.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Apr 2012 at 12:38pm
the new Iordache "One Life Left" can be heard on bandcamp, good modern jazz.
http://iordache.bandcamp.com/album/one-life-left" rel="nofollow - http://iordache.bandcamp.com/album/one-life-left

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 2:57pm
Early Clean Feed label this year's release "Brooklyn DNA"  is interesting  if  a bit mixed bag - first half is relaxed, even playful, with top composition  "Spirit Cry" but slowly loses direction and disappears nowhere at the end of the album.
Still lot of great compositions, strong feel of NY free jazz of early 70s - after some Joe McPhee quite average albums this new release is as fresh air 

Joe McPhee-pocket trumpet, soprano saxophone, alto saxophone

Ingebrigt Haker Flaten-double bass

Posted By: harmonium.ro
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 7:37am
Originally posted by js js wrote:

the new Iordache "One Life Left" can be heard on bandcamp, good modern jazz.
http://iordache.bandcamp.com/album/one-life-left" rel="nofollow - http://iordache.bandcamp.com/album/one-life-left

That was an excellent review John, and the artist noticed it and posted it on his facebook. Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 10:18am
Wow! thanks a lot, that made my day.  Big smile

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 11:11am

nice but unessential
my favourite 'Mozart Goes Dancing'

-------------
Ken Burns

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2012 at 1:28pm
Orchestrated Nu Jazz
http://www.deusnuvem.com/" rel="nofollow - http://www.deusnuvem.com/

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2012 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by Ricochet Ricochet wrote:

That leaves E.S.T. Overall, I didn't desire for such an addenda. I mean, really - four years having passed, both Berglund and Ostrom having long settled for a new orientation, and I'm supposed to believe this isn't just the usual posthumous mishap of ransacking through material that never got released (even with the admittedly great excuse that it's from the same session as Leucocyte).

But let me put it another way: as every E.S.T. album, for me, was its own sort of "story", 301 doesn't even come close. Yes, it is closure compared to Leucocyte, it's more peaceful and cleaner, has beautiful tunes and all, but it's also the "B-side" of that batch. To have such mixed feelings about an E.S.T. album, almost for the first time ever, is (for the fanboy I am) close to a tragic feeling. That being said, there are two very good epics, one in fact breathtaking and deserving classic status - so there would have been a shame never to hear them.

Mostly agree. I am not a EST fanboy, but really like their best recordings. Newest release is closest musically to Leucocyte, and it's a huge plus. But at the same time it really sounds as collection of out-tracks and leftovers from it.

Comparing both releases which contain material from same sessions, it's easy to notice in what a great way Leucocyte compositions were chosen and combined - on "301" we hear what was left, and it's generally all what should be left. At the same time even what stay aside could fill quite a listenable album. Probably main "301"'s problem is not a bad material itself, but more that it sounds absolutely unfocused and bulky. I expect best way to use all these recordings was just to release them in old-fashioned  way of "Complete Leucocyte Sessions"

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2012 at 3:41pm
^
I guess that whoever considers 'Leucocyte' as EST's best album, might be disappointed by '301'.Although it's less innovative it is also less aggressive(a thing which  people like me might consider to be a good thing),

-------------
Ken Burns

Posted By: Ricochet
Date Posted: 08 Apr 2012 at 7:02pm

nice but unessential

Well, I've went to see them live and they basically just presented the album (apart from two pieces off Native Sense to kick off, then, at the end, the beloved Armando's Rhumba) and I definitely thought the CD will turn out less rewarding and I'll even accuse it of being unoriginal (in an oh-why-are-they-not-working-on-something-new way) and standards-splashy. The Bud, the Brubeck and Jobim's Bossa sounded really great, so I guess they'll be my picks here as well. 

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 3:23pm
combination of  ancient Latin texts with modern music, for ECM fans

-------------
Ken Burns

Posted By: Krilons Resa
Date Posted: 13 Apr 2012 at 10:03am
3 favorite albums of the year for me so far...

-------------
That shows you the power of music, that magician of magician, who lifts his wand, says his mysterious word and all things real pass away and the phantoms of your mind walk before you clothed in flesh.

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by Ricochet Ricochet wrote:

nice but unessential

Well, I've went to see them live and they basically just presented the album (apart from two pieces off Native Sense to kick off, then, at the end, the beloved Armando's Rhumba) and I definitely thought the CD will turn out less rewarding and I'll even accuse it of being unoriginal (in an oh-why-are-they-not-working-on-something-new way) and standards-splashy. The Bud, the Brubeck and Jobim's Bossa sounded really great, so I guess they'll be my picks here as well. 

Generally I really like Chick Corea, he released more great albums than many expect, but some last years works are quite boring if not disappointing. "Hot House" is one between them for me. Corea was really adventurous quite a short time some decades ago, but he was able to play quality enjoyable music for years. His last few releases are mostly material for collectors - too often uninspired, repetitive and openly boring

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 12:50pm
The pre-RTF Corea was one of the most amazing pianists in any genre, something put out the fire, he's always a great player still, but it isn't the same.

Date Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 3:58pm
not much jazz , pretty enjoyable Balkans music

-------------
Ken Burns

Date Posted: 01 May 2012 at 7:04am
Thumbs Up
EST fans will probably enjoy this

-------------
Ken Burns

Date Posted: 02 May 2012 at 2:44pm
contemporary chamber music

-------------
Ken Burns

Posted By: Abraxas
Date Posted: 02 May 2012 at 5:31pm

Badbadnotgood - BBNG2

Sorry for insisting with this, but this new band is just one of the most interesting musical groups to appear in this century! Ok, many will think I'm exagerrating, but they really are offering something new and in a great way, and they're 21 years old!

Not only that, their music is free for download... I mean, what??
http://badbadnotgood.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - http://badbadnotgood.bandcamp.com/

Date Posted: 02 May 2012 at 5:54pm
I liked their previous album, I'll find some time to check this one out,  ... more power to the 21 year olds!

Date Posted: 02 May 2012 at 7:32pm
^yep, their debut is really good!

Date Posted: 03 May 2012 at 3:28pm

mix of experimental and mellow tracks, dark mood music,interesting

-------------
Ken Burns

Date Posted: 04 May 2012 at 3:41am
unimpressed despite the quite enthusiastic reviews

-------------
Ken Burns

Date Posted: 05 May 2012 at 11:52am
Originally posted by Abraxas Abraxas wrote:

Badbadnotgood - BBNG2

Sorry for insisting with this, but this new band is just one of the most interesting musical groups to appear in this century! Ok, many will think I'm exagerrating, but they really are offering something new and in a great way, and they're 21 years old!

Not only that, their music is free for download... I mean, what??
http://badbadnotgood.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - http://badbadnotgood.bandcamp.com/

I'm enjoying this one too - thanks for reminding me of it! :) I remember seeing the cover when it first came out and being interested

-------------
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/dreadpirateroberts%28member%29.aspx?reviews=all/" rel="nofollow - Reviews...

Date Posted: 05 May 2012 at 12:47pm
enjoying 

-------------
Ken Burns

Date Posted: 05 May 2012 at 1:42pm
^Thumbs Up Glad you like it guys, don't forget their debut.

Date Posted: 06 May 2012 at 1:18pm
Keeny Garrett's "Seeds from the Underground" is Coltrane styled post bop with some Afro-Cuban rhythms and some wordless vocals as well.

Date Posted: 08 May 2012 at 10:08am
Curtis Mayfield fans may want to check out hard bop covers of his tunes on Jazz Soul Seven's "Impressions of Curtis Mayfield". If you are a fan you will get the play on words. 

Date Posted: 08 May 2012 at 6:19pm
^ awesome, I will most definitely !

-------------

Date Posted: 16 May 2012 at 8:52pm
New album by Omer Avital
http://www.zonadejazz.com/2012/05/14/omer-avital-suite-of-the-east/#more-4162" rel="nofollow - http://www.zonadejazz.com/2012/05/14/omer-avital-suite-of-the-east/#more-4162

Date Posted: 17 May 2012 at 11:35am

New album by Omer Avital
http://www.zonadejazz.com/2012/05/14/omer-avital-suite-of-the-east/#more-4162" rel="nofollow - http://www.zonadejazz.com/2012/05/14/omer-avital-suite-of-the-east/#more-4162

pretty good album

-------------
Ken Burns

Date Posted: 17 May 2012 at 11:35am
unimpressed by 

-------------
Ken Burns

Date Posted: 17 May 2012 at 3:40pm
My first 2012 jazz album was the new Tribal Tech album. I think it's very good fusion, and different from the usual Tribal Tech fare.

Seriously, you know how their older albums are similar to 80s Chick Corea Elektric Band, Dave Weckl Band, or much of that late-80s/90s fusion? Well, this album is a lot different, and much more modern sounding, with more emphasis on experimental jazz and some electronics.

-------------

Posted By: Kazuhiro
Date Posted: 17 May 2012 at 6:57pm

My first 2012 jazz album was the new Tribal Tech album. I think it's very good fusion, and different from the usual Tribal Tech fare.

Seriously, you know how their older albums are similar to 80s Chick Corea Elektric Band, Dave Weckl Band, or much of that late-80s/90s fusion? Well, this album is a lot different, and much more modern sounding, with more emphasis on experimental jazz and some electronics.

I checked a few samples in other pages. An atmosphere such as WR and The Zawinul Syndicate still might be slightly succeeded to at the time when "Thick" and "Rocket Science" were announced. However, this album seems to evolve more.

Date Posted: 19 May 2012 at 12:43am

Curtis Mayfield fans may want to check out hard bop covers of his tunes on Jazz Soul Seven's "Impressions of Curtis Mayfield". If you are a fan you will get the play on words. 

Awesome, I really, really want to get this. Going to hit Amazon later today, thank John, I would have missed this is you'd not mentioned it.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 May 2012 at 12:07am

mix of Lateef's work on tenor, piano, and flute with some spoken/sung passages based around stories he wrote back in the 70s

-------------
Ken Burns

Date Posted: 26 May 2012 at 6:05am

mix of experimental and mellow tracks, dark mood music,interesting

Great Zorn's return back to form . Last year or two generally was a disappointment - and now Nosferatu smokes and burns as hell. Bill Laswell and Zorn himself (playing not only sax but piano and Rhodes as well) shows their greats (among others)

Posted By: triceratopsoil
Date Posted: 26 May 2012 at 4:49pm
Sounds like something that will interest me

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/TullDerGraff" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 26 May 2012 at 6:03pm
Some samples are here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h44_WwYF-3Q&feature=relmfu" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h44_WwYF-3Q&feature=relmfu

Date Posted: 27 May 2012 at 7:51am

Thumbs Up

-------------
Ken Burns

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2012 at 4:41am
Acoustic duo, four new compositions by Avishai Cohen, some standards and no vocals! great!!

-------------
Ken Burns

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2012 at 4:17am

for fans of heavy metal

-------------
Ken Burns

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2012 at 4:49am
^ some frantic, heavy stuff one that one huh?
As a Mr Bungle and a Mike Patton fan, I knew I'd like this one. First of the this particular Zorn project I've heard.
Interested to hear Modeski (think I spelled him wrong) in there too

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2012 at 5:25am
^ this one is generally more Mr.Bungle/Painkiller style hardcore - not lot of jazz (almost not at all), but Zorn playing sax in his best free-attacking tradition. Let say - interesting work for open ear metal/hardcore fans first of all . Check MP3 sample on Zorn's page

Date Posted: 10 Jun 2012 at 8:22am
Thumbs Up

-------------
Ken Burns

Date Posted: 10 Jun 2012 at 10:48am
another one I enjoy a lot:

-------------
Ken Burns

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 3:32am

Arild Andersen with Scottish National Jazz Orchestra play commissioned Big Band arrangements of pieces from ECM catalogue(Chick Corea, Jan Garbarek, Dave Holland, etc...)
Despite some great moments I consider it unessential but I'm not a Big Band fan anyway

It seems there is a problem with image inserting, it looks OK on preview, after posting the image is damaged

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 4:20am
^ it works - sometimes not any image's source is acceptable for uploading the picture, in such case just try to take picture from different source

Posted By: The Truth
Date Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 10:26pm

Hard to go wrong with a little Berne, I absolutely love his sax playing and any album that showcases it is enjoyable.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 2:58am
^ and this one is even better than usual Big smile

Posted By: Hawkwise
Date Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 5:03pm

Scchh i got a first listen today AND it's Awesome !!

-------------
"If you're trying to be hip, be hip." - Miles Davis

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.16 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2013 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk