Forum Description: Discuss any topic at all that is not music-related
URL: http://www.JazzMusicArchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1448
Printed Date: 17 Apr 2024 at 7:21pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 10.16 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The Bookshelf
Posted By: dreadpirateroberts
Subject: The Bookshelf
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 12:47am
So, what's everyone been reading of late? Good or disappointing, post your thoughts, mini reviews and recommendations/warnings here!

Is on the go at the moment. I first read this at Uni, and it was stunning. The pop culture references are always enjoyable, but Murakami has such a surrealist approach to his detective-kinda stories, they're amazing.

-------------
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/dreadpirateroberts%28member%29.aspx?reviews=all/" rel="nofollow - Reviews...

Replies:
Posted By: Kazuhiro
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 12:57am
I remembered that I said that Slava had read a book of Haruki Murakami before. Slava may have a lot than me about Murakami.Smile However, I knew that his book was translated in various countries.Smile

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 1:03am
Whodunits are popular very much now in Japan. There is often the contest of that purpose, too. The reader depends on the information and purchases a book. I often read such a book, too. The overseas whodunit which I read before was Dickson Carr and Agatha Christie.

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 1:41am
Originally posted by Kazuhiro Kazuhiro wrote:

I remembered that I said that Slava had read a book of Haruki Murakami before. Slava may have a lot than me about Murakami.Smile However, I knew that his book was translated in various countries.Smile

Ah! Another Murakami fan, excellent!  Yes, many translations, a popular writer indeed. I've translated a few haiku (which is only a few words) but imagine translating an entire book across cultures. Difficult indeed.

Originally posted by Kazuhiro Kazuhiro wrote:

Whodunits are popular very much now in Japan. There is often the contest of that purpose, too. The reader depends on the information and purchases a book. I often read such a book, too. The overseas whodunit which I read before was Dickson Carr and Agatha Christie.

Ah, Murder on the Orient Express!    Actually, Kazu - another English mystery writer than is pretty good is Caroline Graham - her books started the 'Midsomer Murders' TV series

-------------
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/dreadpirateroberts%28member%29.aspx?reviews=all/" rel="nofollow - Reviews...

Posted By: idlero
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 1:42am
finished

reading now

-------------
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 1:46am
^ classic pair!

idlero, have you read 'Norwegian Wood'? If so, what did you think of his so-called 'non-surreal' novel?

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 1:46am
Originally posted by dreadpirateroberts dreadpirateroberts wrote:

Ah, Murder on the Orient Express!    Actually, Kazu - another English mystery writer than is pretty good is Caroline Graham - her books started the 'Midsomer Murders' TV series

Thank you, Ash. I intend to look for it whether a book of Caroline Graham is sold.

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 1:49am
Smile Perhaps try find The Killings at Badger's Drift Kazu - her first novel

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 1:58am
OK. Thank you again.Smile

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 3:52am

^ classic pair!

idlero, have you read 'Norwegian Wood'? If so, what did you think of his so-called 'non-surreal' novel?

read it, I prefer his surreal novels(although I usually don't like surreal literature), "Kafka on the shore" being my favourite until now

-------------
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns

Posted By: snobb
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 3:55am
I have read  almost every Murakami book ( or better to say - almost every translation I could find, own his books in English,Lithuanian and Russian) LOL. Even have read his non-fiction novel about gas attack in Tokyo subway....

One of my most beloved modern writers

Posted By: Abraxas
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 11:36am
Well, I just finished 'Moth's by Karl Manders. Really liked it because I was extremely identified with the protagonist, the kid, who is also Dutch and loves to run. But the book deals about two parallel stories, the father who ends up going to east Europe in the second world war period, while his only child, grows with his aunt in Holland. Really moving and detailed.

I've already began Antonin Artaud's 'Van Gogh, The Man Suicided by Society' so far, it's great.

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 8:25am
Originally posted by idlero idlero wrote:

^ classic pair!

read it, I prefer his surreal novels(although I usually don't like surreal literature), "Kafka on the shore" being my favourite until now

That's interesting that you don't like a lot of surrealist stuff - it just goes to show how power his work can be, huh? I still haven't got to Kafka, though it's on my list. Curious as to why's it your fav?

Originally posted by snobb snobb wrote:

I have read  almost every Murakami book ( or better to say - almost every translation I could find, own his books in English,Lithuanian and Russian) LOL. Even have read his non-fiction novel about gas attack in Tokyo subway....

Wow! In three translations, Slava? How do they differ from version to version, in your opinion?

Originally posted by Abraxas Abraxas wrote:

Well, I just finished 'Moth's by Karl Manders. Really liked it because I was extremely identified with the protagonist, the kid, who is also Dutch and loves to run. But the book deals about two parallel stories, the father who ends up going to east Europe in the second world war period, while his only child, grows with his aunt in Holland. Really moving and detailed.

I've already began Antonin Artaud's 'Van Gogh, The Man Suicided by Society' so far, it's great.

Split narratives are pretty cool - nice way for a writer to kinda place two books into one in a way. Is The Man Suicided by Society a bio more fiction?

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 8:52am

[QUOTE=dreadpirateroberts]  

[QUOTE=snobb]I have read  almost every Murakami book ( or better to say - almost every translation I could find, own his books in English,Lithuanian and Russian) LOL. Even have read his non-fiction novel about gas attack in Tokyo subway....

Wow! In three translations, Slava? How do they differ from version to version, in your opinion?

I expect it would be most interesting to read in original, because one of main thing I love in his books is that Japanese atmosphere - not touristic, but cultural, philosophical if you want. Unfortunately I don't speak/read in Japanese Confused LOL. I For me the  best translation is that one which brings most authentic atmosphere, it is if when reading I feel like I'm reading Japanese writer Murakami, not someone telling me his version of Murakami's book.
Tried to read one his book on Serbian as well, but was disappointed by translation (or my language knowledge wasn't good enough LOL)

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 9:18am
Originally posted by snobb snobb wrote:

[QUOTE=dreadpirateroberts]  

[QUOTE=snobb]I have read  almost every Murakami book ( or better to say - almost every translation I could find, own his books in English,Lithuanian and Russian) LOL. Even have read his non-fiction novel about gas attack in Tokyo subway....

I expect it would be most interesting to read in original, because one of main thing I love in his books is that Japanese atmosphere - not touristic, but cultural, philosophical if you want. Unfortunately I don't speak/read in Japanese Confused LOL. I For me the  best translation is that one which brings most authentic atmosphere, it is if when reading I feel like I'm reading Japanese writer Murakami, not someone telling me his version of Murakami's book.
Tried to read one his book on Serbian as well, but was disappointed by translation (or my language knowledge wasn't good enough LOL)

I'm really curiuos how much of the atmosphere in his books is Japanese ,  sometimes I got the impression that it isn't  a specific japanese identity maybe because most of the cultural references quoted in his books are western and not japanese

-------------
Ken Burns

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 9:25am

^ classic pair!

That's interesting that you don't like a lot of surrealist stuff - it just goes to show how power his work can be, huh? I still haven't got to Kafka, though it's on my list. Curious as to why's it your fav?

Hard to explain , maybe because it was the first Murakami book I read and I was blown away by his style, anyway I really liked the story and in my opinionthis book has a special beauty...I plan to reread it in romanian translation, first time I read it in english.

-------------
Ken Burns

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 9:25am
Has anyone read his IQ84 trilogy?

-------------
Ken Burns

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 12:09pm

Originally posted by Abraxas Abraxas wrote:

Split narratives are pretty cool - nice way for a writer to kinda place two books into one in a way. Is The Man Suicided by Society a bio more fiction?

It's an, how do I say it, opinion? essay? So far I'm reading the preface by the editor, which takes half part of the book, and explains Artaud's life, work, philosophy and much of the meaning of the book. 
I find it to be extremely interesting, since I share some of the basic ideas that Artaud had, that of trying to escape from social masses, which is just a tiny and simple part of what Artaud actually means.

Date Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 7:05pm
^ Cool, I reckon I'll keep an eye out for it, Pablo - it sounds good and I'm in a critical-analysis-essay kinda mood

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 7:10pm

^ classic pair!

Hard to explain , maybe because it was the first Murakami book I read and I was blown away by his style, anyway I really liked the story and in my opinionthis book has a special beauty...I plan to reread it in romanian translation, first time I read it in english.

I'll bump it up in the list and pick it up sooner I think - I know what you mean, I feel the same way about the Wind-Up Bird because it was my first of his.

Interested to hear what you think about any differences you spot between the feel of both versions, when you have re-read it. Translation is a fascinating art.

Has anyone read his IQ84 trilogy?

Not yet, but it's on my list.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 10:20am

-------------
Ken Burns

Posted By: Stooge
Date Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 12:57pm
Last week, I finished reading "Slaughterhouse Five" by Kurt Vonnegut, and really enjoyed it.  I'll be sure to read more of his work in the future.

Lately, I've been reading some comic books (I know, they don't really count), but also some sci-fi novels.  I recently read some of the short stories in the Harlan Ellison collection "I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream".  I am about to start reading "Renaissance" by A.E. van Vogt.

Date Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 2:56pm
^ I really like Vonnegut!

-------------
Ken Burns

Date Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

Last week, I finished reading "Slaughterhouse Five" by Kurt Vonnegut, and really enjoyed it.  I'll be sure to read more of his work in the future.

Lately, I've been reading some comic books (I know, they don't really count), but also some sci-fi novels.  I recently read some of the short stories in the Harlan Ellison collection "I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream".  I am about to start reading "Renaissance" by A.E. van Vogt.

They totally count I reckon Smile  Sounds good, and the Slaughterhouse Five is a classic.
One of the last sci-fi I read was a collection too, and it's got some great stuff in it

-------------

Posted By: js
Date Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 9:15pm
When I was young I read all the Phil Dick books, great stuff.

Date Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 6:59am
^ He was amazing, huh? Especially live 'Do Androids...' but some of his shorts are just as good, or better. Still haven't quite got round his alternate history one, Man in the Highcastle? Can't quite recall the title.

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 8:38am
That was one of the first ones I read, I believe it is called "the Man in the High Castle" but it has been a very long time since I read it.

Posted By: Stooge
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 9:24am
My brother has a bunch of PKD's stuff.  I'm sure I'll dip into them some day.

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 10:24am
Began 'El Tunel' (the tunnel) by Ernesto Sabato, a classic of Argentine literature. Short and instantly grabbing, highly recommended if you want something easy and fast to read, yet with originality and thoughtful.

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 9:47pm
Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman - probably my favourites of his, great stuff, inventive fellow - often quite funny too

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 8:33pm

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 9:28pm
Oh, I'm halfway through:

Date Posted: 26 Feb 2012 at 2:11am

-------------
Ken Burns

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2012 at 7:24am
^ that sounds like an interesting one

Just starting, haven't read this one (or any of them) for about fifteen years

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2012 at 10:54am
Taking a break from Earthsea

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2012 at 2:34pm
Since Hesse's Demian, I've read:

Steppenwolf by Hesse
Juguete Rabioso by Roberto Arlt
Surrealist poem collection
Waiting for Godot by Samuel Beckett

Halfway through:
The Plague by Camus
Para la Libertad by Miguel Hernandez (poems)

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 9:01am

started

-------------
Ken Burns

Date Posted: 21 May 2012 at 8:43am

started

finished
very enjoyable, SF satire with enough action to please miscellaneous tastes

-------------
Ken Burns

Date Posted: 21 May 2012 at 8:45am
now reading

-------------
Ken Burns

Date Posted: 27 Jul 2012 at 3:08pm

pretty entertaining

-------------
Ken Burns

Date Posted: 27 Jul 2012 at 10:01pm
^ heard that one described as a cross between Dickens and Agathie?

Just a short one for me - really enjoying the use of electricity in the story

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2012 at 11:33am
^yes,you can put it that way too, but the themes of the satire are contemporary

-------------
Ken Burns

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2012 at 2:42am

^yes,you can put it that way too, but the themes of the satire are contemporary

It sounds good, I'll have to try and find it next time I visit a store.

Now, about to start

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Sep 2012 at 11:26pm

interesting

-------------
Ken Burns

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 3:35am
More Murakami

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 3:58am
one of my first Murakami's book Smile

Date Posted: 17 Sep 2012 at 12:28am
Yeah! Is that one of the ones you've read in multiple languages? Have you read his latest, Slava?

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Sep 2012 at 1:27am
Didn't read Murakami's books during last few years, not sure if he wrote something new during that period (still didn't read all his previous books as well)

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: 17 Sep 2012 at 3:21pm
I hadn't dropped in on this thread yet and it reminded me that I really don't read books anymore.  It's not a deliberate choice just a fact of life.  I still have a subscription to the local paper.  I lost about 75% of my book collection in the flood 2009 including The Real Frank Zappa Book and Miles Davis' Autobiography.  There are a couple of things out there that I might indulge in of a political bent if I had the money.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Sep 2012 at 3:39pm
I have my The Real Frank Zappa Book  Cool

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: 17 Sep 2012 at 4:00pm
That's a damn good read. :)  If you  haven't read Miles Auto, you should.  It's a really good read, too.  Joe Jackson's A Cure For Gravity is also quite good.  It's a shame that all three of these were flood victims but the life stories remain in my head. Big smile

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Sep 2012 at 5:45pm
I have the Miles autobio as well as several bios on him as well.

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2012 at 9:33pm
The two recent books I've read were:

Just Kids by Patti Smith
My Last Sigh by Luis Buñuel

Both autobiographic, both in english, and man, both totally incredible. Probably I'm starting to realize the magic of autobiographies and such books. But maybe it's just that these two specifically are just incredible persons and have had such fascinating lives. 
Both highly recommended.

Posted By: bytor2112
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 12:31am
Recently finished this:

It was pretty good, just took me a couple nights to read. At points it was a little depressing, led to a little loss of sleep.LOL But overall it was a good read, recommended to any classic sci-fi lover.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 2:16am
^ sounds good, Cale, I've never come across that one

Just finished this one again:

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 4:05am
just finished Murakami's  1st book of 1Q84
I liked it, but not in my top three Murakami books

-------------
Ken Burns

Date Posted: 02 Mar 2013 at 12:51pm
Finished the 1Q84  trilogy, quite enjoyable , a bit too long.

-------------
Ken Burns

Date Posted: 02 Mar 2013 at 2:50pm
Finishing:

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2013 at 7:10pm
^finished!

Extremely well done and thoughtful concerning the past decade (00s) and what's-to-come of music, all in a long 400 pages analysis with detailed examples. This book is not probably for "closed" minded Prog fans, but there's a lot in here that answers or deals with Prog fans issues and concerns with music, about innovation and real "progression".

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2013 at 5:55am
Cool, sounds great. Is there an English language version too?

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 6:08am

Read this, only book I've had time to read this year - loved it, but it was possibly too brief. Possibly.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 7:13am
Just finished John Barylick's "Killer Show", the story about the deadly fire that was started when the band Great White used pyros in a small crowded club. The book also includes details on how Barylick and other lawyers helped get the victims their due money.
Excellent book.

Date Posted: 11 Nov 2013 at 2:26am
^ that sounds great (sad too, of course) - I've also started reading a Prince bio. Interesting guy Smile

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Nov 2013 at 3:15am
I always had the impression he was a workaholic type.

Date Posted: 14 Nov 2013 at 6:23am
Originally posted by js js wrote:

I always had the impression he was a workaholic type.

Very much so - the amount of unreleased stuff, by account of the book, is insane. He must never stop.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 8:10am
I've been reading a lot of musician bios and auto bios recently, including:
Ellington
Monk
George Clinton
Herbie Hancock
Bill Bruford

Date Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

I've been reading a lot of musician bios and auto bios recently, including:
Ellington
Monk
George Clinton
Herbie Hancock
Bill Bruford

Ace! What's the Hancock one like so far? (Or did you finish it? :) )

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Jan 2016 at 1:01am
It was okay, not my favorite, but not bad either. There were a few surprises, such as he had a bad dependence on crack for a while.

Date Posted: 02 Jan 2016 at 5:20am
Ah, I didn't know that either!

What was the title - I might do some research, compare it to some others, thanks John :)

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Jan 2016 at 6:06am
The book is titled "Possibilities", its a quick easy read. He's kind to most of his past fellow musicians, but takes a few digs at Wynton.

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 12:15am
^

Ace, I'll check it out - extra interested in it now that I know he was involved in the writing. Will check out the bigs at Wynton too!

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2016 at 2:23pm
Currently reading "The Chitlin Circuit and the Road to Rock n Roll".
This book tells the story about a chain of off-the-radar (sometimes illegal) small clubs in the rural southern US in the 1940s where African Americans transformed (out of necesiity and misfortune) jazz into rock n roll, its very interesting reading.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.16 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2013 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk