Print Page | Close Window

New Turntable

Printed From: JazzMusicArchives.com
Category: Other music related lounges
Forum Name: Tech Talk
Forum Description: Discuss musical instruments, equipment, hi-fi, speakers, vinyl, gadgets,etc.
URL: http://www.JazzMusicArchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1009
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 8:20am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 10.16 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: New Turntable
Posted By: Matt
Subject: New Turntable
Date Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 6:02pm
I am about to do the lash and buy a new turntable this morning. Going for a Project one with a pre amp. Last one the earth went about a year ago and it was crap (Technics). You know I have still  not heard a better turntable than the old stereo I bought back in 1974. It was Sanyo, belt driven but the only problem it was not separate but part of a huge unit ( Quadrophonic it was Big smileLOL ) part of history these days. Still have the big unit though in my garage but do not use it anymore. Son had it for a while but you know I do not want to part with it. I worked my arse off as an apprentice to buy that when I was fifteen. Sentimental value. The belt has gone on the turntable now and where would I get one anyway for that player.

Looking forward to getting the old records out and actually getting a few. Still will be playing cds primarily, (records for the next few days till the novelty wears off) but the main reason is, so much stuff only available on records and since I have been here setting up discos I have come across a few tasty looking ones ( of course at a reasonable price). My record collection is 90% Rock and Pop with Prog of course but there is no Jazz and not much Latin. 1 Willie Colon Smile is it. "The Hustler".

Anyway I ordered a new record and will pick up a couple of Blue Notes and Latin ones that I want in the near future. I will not be buying Rock but there is one that I want and I ain't telling anybody because there are not many left out there in good nick.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B001O04JXO/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=163856011&s=dmusic" rel="nofollow">El Sonido Nuevo

Looks good my coming newie ,used record in very good condition. Big smile

-------------
Matt

Replies:
Posted By: js
Date Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 6:16pm
I play a lot of records. Technics are highly valued in the states, I have about three. One of them is one of those bad ass old DJ tables that ways a ton, those are highly collectable and cost a fortune.

Posted By: Kazuhiro
Date Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 10:11pm

The factory that produced needles for the turntable before at least went bankrupt to Japan. Therefore, the fan of the turntable relies on foreign countries.

My friend said that he or she would combine Technics with Shure. I felt that the combination that people liked was various though the speaker was often good made in Japan and known.

Perseverance might certainly be necessary for maintaining the turntable though LP can be bought now.

Anyway, it wishes it to be enjoyed because LP that Matt is good is bought.

Posted By: snobb
Date Posted: 03 Sep 2011 at 12:01am
I used Technics for years and it was the best turntable I ever had Smile

Date Posted: 03 Sep 2011 at 4:33pm

The Technics turntable I had was bloody dismal. I agree they are good usually but this one fellas was absolute crap. I will add it was one of their cheapest.

Anyway things are absolutely awesome. If I had not mentioned I was getting a Project one. I would have got one but because I raved on about it. Embarrassed Anyway wound up buying a Rega one. Just the basic one with pre amp ( I call it a Booster Wink).It is better than my old Sanyo from the 70's.

I really have the hots to go record shopping again for some reason LOL but not today its Fathers Day. When I arrived home from work early this morning everybody was up and all sitting around the place. Youngest daughters friends, 6 counting her. She asked what I wanted for Fathers Day, I replied, "Why don't you all got out for the day" Tongue

-------------
Matt

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: 04 Sep 2011 at 9:24pm

Enjoy!!!! Jazz and vinyl are a marriage made in heaven Heart

-------------
My jazz collection....a work in progress.

Date Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Enjoy!!!! Jazz and vinyl are a marriage made in heaven Heart

Thanks Jose, I will admit after some of my negative comments on other threads concerning vinyl, I am having a change of heart but I still have to flip them over.Big smile Like the old days. Hopefully no beer glass rings on the covers for these LOL I did that once when I was young and pissed. It is on the cover of my Help album. Was not impressed with myself in the morning. Most people would not care about it but me.Embarrassed

-------------
Matt

Date Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 4:37pm
I have a lot of old rare soul; jazz and AG jazz records that I treated roughly in my youth, what was I thinking, fortunately a lot of them survived and remain in OK condition.
They weren't rare when I bought them, you could find Sun Ra and all kinds of B3 jazz records for cheap long ago, not anymore.

Date Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 4:49pm
My first records I bought John are worn out. All those original Beatles albums that I had I played them and played them. Some of the singles are wall to wall static. I used to play the singles 20 times a day in a row when I was ten LOL 

-------------
Matt

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2011 at 12:19pm
My best used vinyl find this past week......US7.99, excellent shape, gave it a good cleaning and the only surface noise is at the begining, which is common. All the middle sections are pretty much noiseless....except for Miles of course!!

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2011 at 12:49pm
Good price.

Posted By: Hawkwise
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2011 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by Matt Matt wrote:

The Technics turntable I had was bloody dismal. I agree they are good usually but this one fellas was absolute crap. I will add it was one of their cheapest.

Anyway things are absolutely awesome. If I had not mentioned I was getting a Project one. I would have got one but because I raved on about it. Embarrassed Anyway wound up buying a Rega one. Just the basic one with pre amp ( I call it a Booster Wink).It is better than my old Sanyo from the 70's.

I really have the hots to go record shopping again for some reason LOL but not today its Fathers Day. When I arrived home from work early this morning everybody was up and all sitting around the place. Youngest daughters friends, 6 counting her. She asked what I wanted for Fathers Day, I replied, "Why don't you all got out for the day" Tongue

Rega turntables are brilliant so good i got two one in my listening room one in my studio room, (oh that photo is of the Rega 78 for playing 78s  Wink )  which Rega did you actually buy ?    i got a Rega 1 and a Rega 2   the two is main  one in my listening room  , i would highly  recommend them  there so damn GOOD !!.

-------------
"If you're trying to be hip, be hip." - Miles Davis

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2011 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by Hawkwise Hawkwise wrote:

Rega turntables are brilliant so good i got two one in my listening room one in my studio room, (oh that photo is of the Rega 78 for playing 78s  Wink )  which Rega did you actually buy ?    i got a Rega 1 and a Rega 2   the two is main  one in my listening room  , i would highly  recommend them  there so damn GOOD !!.
Yeah I got the basic one but that is awesome. I grabbed the first pic I saw. Hey it looks like mine,Confused different stylus though and silver and black is the colour . It is the Rega 1, I  bought Hawkwise.  Love it and it has put right back on to playing records.  Only prob, with it was not semi auto.  Often I am outside or whatever and go sh*t the records finished and have to bolt in and take it off.LOL  bmp,bmp.bmp. not good for the stylus.

Bought a few records since the turntable arrived. Big smile Found some nice stuff Approve ( for me that is)LOL watch out for they may contain yodelling.Wink  joking,  ( kind of)    ,  mainly Latin though is what I have been chasing

I still will buy cd's though for the current stuff, most of the time but that is because I play them in the car as well and a new album if good, I  play constantly. I do look at the vinyl first now when buying all my other stuff ApproveCool

-------------
Matt

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2011 at 10:26pm
^ ClapClapClap

Welcome back!!

-------------

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 07 Jul 2013 at 8:04pm

I need to resurrect my old Trio KD1033 -- just a budget turntable from the 1970s for which I can get a new belt off eBay. It's got a decent Grado cartridge fitted and a heavy 78rpm disk under a Rega Planar felt mat.

Years ago I visited a friend in a shared house, and was waiting in his room before he returned. He'd followed the advice of another friend of ours and got himself a Rega turntable.  Already on it was an album he knew I had: "Me, Myself, An Eye" by Charles Mingus. I love that Atlantic recording.

< value="af">Afrikaans< value="sq">Albanian< value="ar">Arabic< value="hy">Armenian< value="az">Azerbaijani< value="eu">Basque< value="be">Belarusian< value="bg">Bulgarian< value="ca">Catalan< value="zh-CN">Chinese (Simplified)< value="zh-TW">Chinese (Traditional)< value="hr">Croatian< value="cs">Czech< value="da">Danish< value="auto" ed="ed">Detect language< value="nl">Dutch< value="en">English< value="et">Estonian< value="tl">Filipino< value="fi">Finnish< value="fr">French< value="gl">Galician< value="ka">Georgian< value="de">German< value="el">Greek< value="ht">Haitian Creole< value="iw">Hebrew< value="hi">Hindi< value="hu">Hungarian< value="is">Icelandic< value="id">Indonesian< value="ga">Irish< value="it">Italian< value="ja">Japanese< value="ko">Korean< value="la">Latin< value="lv">Latvian< value="lt">Lithuanian< value="mk">Macedonian< value="ms">Malay< value="mt">Maltese< value="no">Norwegian< value="fa">Persian< value="pl">Polish< value="pt">Portuguese< value="ro">Romanian< value="ru">Russian< value="sr">Serbian< value="sk">Slovak< value="sl">Slovenian< value="es">Spanish< value="sw">Swahili< value="sv">Swedish< value="th">Thai< value="tr">Turkish< value="uk">Ukrainian< value="ur">Urdu< value="vi">Vietnamese< value="cy">Welsh< value="yi">Yiddish< value="af">Afrikaans< value="sq">Albanian< value="ar">Arabic< value="hy">Armenian< value="az">Azerbaijani< value="eu">Basque< value="be">Belarusian< value="bg">Bulgarian< value="ca">Catalan< value="zh-CN">Chinese (Simplified)< value="zh-TW">Chinese (Traditional)< value="hr">Croatian< value="cs">Czech< value="da">Danish< value="nl">Dutch< value="en" ed="ed">English< value="et">Estonian< value="tl">Filipino< value="fi">Finnish< value="fr">French< value="gl">Galician< value="ka">Georgian< value="de">German< value="el">Greek< value="ht">Haitian Creole< value="iw">Hebrew< value="hi">Hindi< value="hu">Hungarian< value="is">Icelandic< value="id">Indonesian< value="ga">Irish< value="it">Italian< value="ja">Japanese< value="ko">Korean< value="la">Latin< value="lv">Latvian< value="lt">Lithuanian< value="mk">Macedonian< value="ms">Malay< value="mt">Maltese< value="no">Norwegian< value="fa">Persian< value="pl">Polish< value="pt">Portuguese< value="ro">Romanian< value="ru">Russian< value="sr">Serbian< value="sk">Slovak< value="sl">Slovenian< value="es">Spanish< value="sw">Swahili< value="sv">Swedish< value="th">Thai< value="tr">Turkish< value="uk">Ukrainian< value="ur">Urdu< value="vi">Vietnamese< value="cy">Welsh< value="yi">Yiddish
English (auto-detected) » English

Posted By: Argonaught
Date Posted: 03 Nov 2013 at 11:13am

Just the basic one with pre amp ( I call it a Booster Wink

I am wondering if this is a "booster preamp", or a phono stage thing with a RIAA equalization circuit?

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.16 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2013 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk