JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Suggest new bands/artists to JMA
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mike Gibbs (UK)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mike Gibbs (UK)
    Posted: 04 Aug 2011 at 7:33am

Michael Gibbs (composer)

Michael Clement Irving Gibbs (born September 25, 1937 in Salisbury, Southern Rhodesia) is a jazz composer, conductor, arranger and producer as well as a trombonist and keyboardist.

He is known for collaborations with Gary Burton, his student, and for his use of rock elements in orchestral jazz.

Career

He studied piano from age seven to thirteen and took up trombone at seventeen. In 1959 he moved to Boston to study at the Berklee College of Music and the Boston Conservatory. At Berklee he studied under and worked with Herb Pomeroy. He graduated from Berklee in 1962 and the conservatory in 1963. In 1965 he returned to what was then Southern Rhodesia, but later was associated with the United Kingdom.

After recording with Graham Collier, John Dankworth, Kenny Wheeler and Mike Westbrook in the late 1960s, he released his first album Michael Gibbs in 1970.

From 1969 to 1974 Gibbs was musical director for the BBC TV comedy programme The Goodies. When he left the UK to take up a teaching position at Berklee, the musical director post was filled by Dave MacRae, a member of the band Gibbs had led in recording funk-rock music for the show.

Gibbs' orchestras were important stages in the careers of various fusion musicians, and his arranging, conducting and producing work was well appreciated (see discography).

Selected discography

Albums as leader/co-leader

• Michael Gibbs (1970, Deram)
  • Tanglewood 63 (1971, Deram)
  • Just Ahead (1972, Polydor)
  • In The Public Interest (1974, Polydor)
  • Seven Songs For Quartet And Chamber Orchestra (1974, ECM)
  • The Only Chrome Waterfall Orchestra (1975, Bronze)
  • Big Music (1988, Virgin/Venture)
  • By The Way (1993, ah um)
  • Europeana (1995, ACT)
  • Nonsequence (2001, Provocateur)

Soundtracks

• Madame Sin (1972)
  • Housekeeping (1987, Varèse Sarabande/MCA)
  • Iron & Silk (1991, The Fine Line/Mute)
  • Hard-Boiled (1993, The Fine Line/Mute)
  • Being Human (1993, Varèse Sarabande/MCA)
  • Century/Close My Eyes (1994, The Fine Line/Mute)
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Dick Heath View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2011 at 8:30am
I'm glad you mentioned the Goodies, indicates another breadth to the man - and wasn't  he the co-writer of Funky Gibbon with Bill Oddie , the keyboard arrangement of which is attributed to Matching Mole's Dave MaCrae? Somebody tells me birdman Bill Oddie dj-ed jazz fusion on Jazz FM during the station's early days - true? But I do know Oddie coined the phrase Stanley Stamp's Gibbon Catalogue used as a title of that Soft Machine tune.

Pass the trivia bag on please.
Dick Heath View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2011 at 8:33am

Seem to feel there was some overlap between Gibbs and fellow composer and arranger for bigger bands, Mike Westbrook in late 60's/early 70's e.g. taking British jazz in new directions with some independency of US influences and  common personnel, e.g. John Surman was a common factor as a lead player....??????

Edited by Dick Heath - 04 Aug 2011 at 8:35am
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2011 at 9:40am
Originally posted by Dick Heath Dick Heath wrote:

Seem to feel there was some overlap between Gibbs and fellow composer and arranger for bigger bands, Mike Westbrook in late 60's/early 70's e.g. taking British jazz in new directions with some independency of US influences and  common personnel, e.g. John Surman was a common factor as a lead player....??????

iwas going to suggest westbrook soon... but it's always the same problem with jazz iundividuals... overlapping is common

BTW, for The Goodies, I didn't mention itEmbarrassed, wiki didWink
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic