JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Suggest new bands/artists to JMA
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Amalgam (the Trevor Watts UK band)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Amalgam (the Trevor Watts UK band)
    Posted: 03 Aug 2011 at 2:36am
Another one of these widely-used names, especially in jazz circles (there is a Danish band, and a French one as well), but here, I speak of the historical band created by Trevor Watts, Jeff Clyne, and John stevens

Six or seven album between 69 and 80...

Trevor Charles Watts (born 26 February 1939 in York) is an English jazz and free-improvising alto and soprano saxophonist. He is largely self-taught, having taken up the cornet at age 12 then switched to saxophone at 18. While stationed in Germany with the RAF (1958–63), he encountered the drummer John Stevens and trombonist Paul Rutherford. After being demobbed he returned to London. In 1965 he and Stevens formed the Spontaneous Music Ensemble, which became one of the crucibles of British free improvisation. Watts left the band to form his own group Amalgam in 1967, then returned to SME for another stretch that lasted till the mid-1970s. Another key association was with the bassist Barry Guy and his London Jazz Composers' Orchestra, an association that lasted from the band's inception in the 1970s up to its (permanent?) disbandment in the mid-1990s.

Though he was initially strongly identified with the avant-garde, Watts is a versatile musician who has worked in everything from straight jazz contexts to rock and blues. His own projects have come increasingly to focus on blending jazz and African music, notably the Moiré Music ensemble which he has led since 1982 in configurations ranging from large ensembles featuring multiple drummers to more intimate trios. He has only occasionally recorded in freer modes in recent years, notably the CD 6 Dialogues, a duet album with Veryan Weston (the pianist in earlier editions of Moiré Music). A solo album, World Sonic, appeared on Hi4Head Records in 2005.

Watts has toured the world over numerous times, run workshops, received grants and commissions, and he has collaborated with some of the great jazz musicians including Archie Shepp, Steve Lacy, Don Cherry and Jayne Cortez. As of 2011, he continues to travel and will tour North American with Veryan Weston in the summer.

Selected discography

• 1969: Amalgam: "Prayer for Peace": Transatlantic Records
  • 1971: Spontaneous Music Ensemble: "So, what do you think?": Tangent
  • 1971: Spontaneous Music Ensemble: 1.2. Albert Ayler: Affinity
  • 1974: Amalgam: Innovation: Tangent
  • 1976: Amalgam: "Another Time": FMR Records
  • 1977: With John Stevens: No Fear: Spotlite
  • 1977: Amalgam: Deep: Vinyl
  • 1978: "Cynosure": Ogun
  • 1979: Amalgam: Over the Rainbow; ARC
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2011 at 5:02am
Added
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2011 at 8:57am
some albums added and reviewed
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2011 at 9:00am
some covers to reviewed albums added as well Wink
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2011 at 9:04am
Originally posted by snobb snobb wrote:

some covers to reviewed albums added as well Wink

Yeah, but that was for garrickEmbarrassed

Geeeezzzzz, you're quicker to correct my blunders than me PM you for themLOL

BTW, that album Heart Is The Lotus is FABULOUS!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic