Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Jazz Chrysalis

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

Speaking of audience participation, my friend had this live Parker record from way back and they all must be loaded and are playing everything at break neck speed and people are yelling with the music. Very insane atmosphere, like a really good party.
We saw Joshua Redman about 10 years back and it was one of the normal Jazz audiences and were they pissed with us by the end of the night but the other half the place was rowdy too and they played great with people yellin' and cheering. Well anyway who did the band talk too at the end of the night Wink yep I have everyone of em's autograph and Aaron Goldberg the pianist sat at the bar with us drinking LOL
Matt
Dylbean View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dylbean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 8:15pm
sorry to barge in in your conversation, but generally improvisation is not part of classical music (not conting the contemporary and

Not sure I'm right about this, but outside Indian music, I don't think improvisation was common in music at all... It seems that this was a X Xth C thing

I'm not sure I'd agree with this. As far as I understand, it has only been the past couple hundred years where improvisation has been removed from classical music. I've only become aware of this recently, and it's really interesting to me as well. My source is a composer family member, so I'm not incredibly confident in this fact, but it seems to be corroborate-able on the internet.
There is no god, but music is pretty cool.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 8:18pm
^ you're correct, Baroque performers used something similar to today's chord charts and were expected to improvise all the details. That was Europe, in Indian classical music improv is the essence of the music.
You could probably read more about how Baroque music notation worked by googling "ground bass baroque music" .
Ground bass was a notation similar to today's chord charts in that the performer was given a bass line and some interval symbols that were somewhat similar to spelling out chords. The performer was supposed to know how to improvise the music around that structure.

Edited by js - 10 Jul 2011 at 9:51pm
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2011 at 3:10am
Originally posted by Dylbean Dylbean wrote:

sorry to barge in in your conversation, but generally improvisation is not part of classical music (not conting the contemporary and minimalists)

Not sure I'm right about this, but outside Indian music, I don't think improvisation was common in music at all... It seems that this was a XXth C thing

I'm not sure I'd agree with this. As far as I understand, it has only been the past couple hundred years where improvisation has been removed from classical music. I've only become aware of this recently, and it's really interesting to me as well. My source is a composer family member, so I'm not incredibly confident in this fact, but it seems to be corroborate-able on the internet.

Yeah, you're right: I'd forgotten about the Baroque period.... I did mean the classical classical and classical romantic periods ... Bach and later...  (though for me Baroque music did last until the 1700's) 

But from what I know of Marin Marais' music (I know Baroque is not just him, though, since even Bach and Vivaldi were considered baroque as well), it's very pompous and didn't really allow for improv

Elsewhere, in folk and medieval music, improv was common....

Edited by Sean Trane - 11 Jul 2011 at 3:25am
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2011 at 6:30am
Mozart, from the classical period, was known to be a master improviser. Romantic period pianists were known to improvise their cadenza's. 
Classical music became a purely written form later after the actual classical period passed. 
After classical music had faded from the public interest during the romantic period, preservationists sought to bring it back to the concert stage, once they brought it back to the stage, its popularity grew from there.

Edited by js - 11 Jul 2011 at 7:27am
Atavachron View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

Speaking of audience participation, my friend had this live Parker record from way back and they all must be loaded and are playing everything at break neck speed and people are yelling with the music. Very insane atmosphere, like a really good party.

love those little peaks into the secret world of music, that record sounds like bootlegging at its best  Big smile

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 9:46pm
Yeah, we lived near North Texas State, the big jazz school, and you got used to this kind of un-inspiring take on jazz from all the kids playing the clubs etc.
Then we hear this old Parker record and our jaws just dropped you know, so this is what be-bop was really like, it was wild and intense and the crowd was sort of joining in.
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 9:50pm
I have a buddy who saw Coltrane in NYC in the 60s and when I asked how he liked it he said, "I'm not sure, but it was quite a thing to see."

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 9:57pm
I snuck a cassette deck into a Black Flag show when they were at their peak, two guitarists and Chuck Biscuits on drums, best rock band I have ever seen, incredibly intense. I have it on distorted cassette, they were extremely loud in a small club.
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 10:11pm
yes I snuck many a cassette deck into shows (down my pants generally); the key was a good stereo mic and a levels indicator/setting.   I had a very nice Sony reporter's deck that did a good job, and I found with Prog, the louder-the-better for a strong recording.   Smaller clubs were usually a bit easier than bigger arenas but you never knew when you'd get a full-body patdown or just a quick check.

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 10:17pm
I can remember a big funk festival in dallas where the security had a bunch of big garbage cans lined up to throw all the things they were getting in the pat-downs, ha ha.  A lot of stuff.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 10:21pm
I need to split for a while, if you have a second, check kazu's thread about cover tunes. The next to last entry is Bowie keyboardist Mike Garson doing an improv on an old Bowie tune. The guy is an incredible pianist.
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 10:56pm
I'll do that
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic