JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music News, Press Releases
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Tigran returns with solo album An Ancient Observer
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tigran returns with solo album An Ancient Observer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tigran returns with solo album An Ancient Observer
    Posted: 16 Dec 2016 at 5:06am

Tigran returns with solo album An Ancient Observer and UK dates

Armenian piano ace Tigran Hamasyan is set to return with a new solo piano album on 31 March 2017 when he releases An Ancient Observer on Nonesuch records. His first solo piano album since his acclaimed breakthrough solo album A Fable, and the follow up to his barnstorming fusion record for Nonesuch, Mockroot, it sees him delve deeper into his Armenian roots with a new set of contemporaneous takes on his birthplace's folk music.

Composed over the last four years, An Ancient Observer is a fusion of improvisation, hip hop grooves, Baroque themes and inventive but occasional use of synths alongside his piano playing. Speaking about the album Hamasyan said: "For me it is an awakening, and a beautiful feeling, to be able to observe the magnificence of this sleeping volcanic giant, which has existed for millions of years and was observed by the Ararat Valley Koura-Arax culture through to the present-day citizens of the Armenian republic. I can see and observe the same birds, animals, rivers, and mountains that the craftsman of 4,000 years ago painted on a clay vessel. He was observing the same thing I observe now, and what remains is his or her beautiful work of art."

The album also marks his reengagement with the label after two collaborative recordings on ECM, Luys I Luso with the Yerevan State Chamber Choir and Atmosphéres with a stellar Norwegian trio. Hamasyan embarks on a 40-date world tour to support the release appearing in the UK and Ireland at RNCM, Manchester (5 April); Kings Place, London (6 April) and Christchurch Cathedral, Dublin (7 April).

– Mike Flynn

For more info visit tigranhamasyan.com

from  www.jazzwisemagazine.com 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic