JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Notes or numbers?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shredding_j Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Notes or numbers?
    Posted: 26 Jul 2016 at 5:37am
Hello!

I'm working on improvising over switching from chord to chord.

I'm a bit confused about what i should focus on first... Should i focus more on the notes of each chord, or should i focus on the numbers from the chords and how they are related to each other? For example IV7= 4 6 1 b3, to V7= 5 7 2 4, and then try to connect them by going (for example) van IV7--> V using the b3 to go up a minor second (learn the distance on guitar on maybe two different strings) to go to the flattened seventh (4 in this case) of the V7 chord.

So basicly trying to learn as many possible distances between the numbers of each chord?

Then if i focus on notes on the guitar, this seems like the other option... But what should i focus on first? Because it can be overwhelming, and u have to think fast on guitar!

Should i learn as many possible ways to connect chord by numbers? Or notes? What is the "best" way?

Thanks!
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2016 at 7:00am
On any instrument, I recommend getting to know your 12 major scales very clearly, and then the 7 modes within each scale. Once you know the scales, the chords sort of automatically fall in place, its much easier to learn the chords when you know the scale they come from.

For instance, if you know the C major scale, then all the chords derived from that scale (CMaj7, dm7, em7, FMaj 7 etc) will be much more apparent.
shredding_j View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shredding_j Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2016 at 10:54am
Originally posted by js js wrote:

On any instrument, I recommend getting to know your 12 major scales very clearly, and then the 7 modes within each scale. Once you know the scales, the chords sort of automatically fall in place, its much easier to learn the chords when you know the scale they come from.

For instance, if you know the C major scale, then all the chords derived from that scale (CMaj7, dm7, em7, FMaj 7 etc) will be much more apparent.

Hey,

I know the major scales and modes. But i'm self taught, so there might be a few things i'm missing.

I would like to know if u can answer my question about numbers.

Thanks!
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2016 at 11:40am
I think focusing on the notes will give you more versatility and a deeper understanding, and an ability to get help from non-guitar sources. The numbers are mostly a language for guitar.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shredding_j Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2016 at 5:09pm
I think numbers are handy when playing blues (1,3,5, b7,   4, 5, 6, b3,   5, 7, 2, 4)
I try to make my own system where i focus on just two chords and try to make as many connections in all kind of directions (up fifths, down fifths etc).

But yes notes seem to have a better overview in the end. I think a mix of both is the way to go? Or will this way of thinking be too confusing in the end, and should i just focus on one thing at the time?
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2016 at 5:16pm
I think using both would be fine, I just wouldn't exclude the notes because this will be your key for communicating with non-guitarists.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shredding_j Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2016 at 5:23pm
Ok thanks,

I just want to think as fast as i can by following the chords, and adding notes from within or outside the harmony.

All tips are welcome!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic