Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The story of Alligator Records

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The story of Alligator Records
    Posted: 19 Mar 2016 at 3:39am

Robert Mugge's dynamic portrait of Alligator Records, the legendary 
Chicago blues label founded by Bruce Iglauer in 1971

Coming to Blu-ray on April 22nd
Click Image to watch 
ALLIGATOR TALES - The Making of "PRIDE AND JOY: The Story of Alligator Records"

After the release of his extremely influential 1991 film Deep Blues, a look at Mississippi blues culture which was funded by Dave Stewart of Eurythmics and involved a collaboration with legendary music writer Robert Palmer, acclaimed music filmmaker Robert Mugge received a phone call. The caller was Bruce Iglauer, founder and president of Alligator Records, the Chicago-based record label which had, over the past two decades, become the world's most successful purveyor of blues-related product.  Iglauer's message to Mugge was simple: "We should know each other!" Mugge agreed, and from that initial phone call began a long-term friendship, as well as immediate collaboration on another feature-length blues film. 

That film, 1992's Pride And Joy: The Story Of Alligator Records, presents musical highlights from one of the 4-plus-hour concerts (March 12th at Philadelphia's now-defunct Chestnut Cabaret) that made up the Alligator Records 20th Anniversary Tour, glimpses of Alligator's Chicago offices, and profiles of key performers and staff members. The "pride and joy" on display are not only that of fine musical artists plying their trades, but also that of a passionate and highly principled entrepreneur succeeding in a business mostly controlled by corporate giants and littered with the wreckage of countless small, independent labels. Songs in the film include "Pride and Joy" and "Ed's Boogie" (Lil' Ed), "Pussycat Moan" and "Lord, I Wonder" (Katie Webster), "El-Bo" and "Beer Drinking Woman" (Elvin Bishop), "I'd Rather Go Blind" (Koko Taylor), "Wife For Tonight" and "I Want All My Money Back" (Lonnie Brooks), "It's A Dirty Job" (Koko Taylor with Lonnie Brooks), and "Sweet Home Chicago" (final joint encore).

MVD Entertainment Group is pleased to announce the first Blu-ray release of this exciting film which Jim Bessman of Billboard called "A fascinating look at the pivotal blues label...[with performances that are] uniformly dynamite." For this release, the film has been newly transferred to HD from the original 16mm film and stereo audio masters and lovingly restored by the director.  Also included on the Blu-ray are ten bonus songs taken from Alligator's original 1992 tour and soundtrack CD, as well as the director's new "making of" video titled "Alligator Tales." As Peter Stack wrote in the San Francisco Chronicle, "Fans of blues who wailed along with director Robert Mugge's incisive documentary DEEP BLUES in 1991 have a new blues treat to bite into with Pride And Joy: The Story Of Alligator Records... Certain to have viewers dancing in the aisles."  

Click HERE to watch ALLIGATOR TALES - The Making of "PRIDE AND JOY: The Story of Alligator Records"

Pre-order now at the MVD SHOP or on Amazon.

The high res cover art is HERE.

# # #

C L I N T   W E I L E R
Director of Publicity and Marketing
MVD Entertainment Group
www.mvdb2b.com

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic