Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Miles & Chet on the Silver Screen

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Miles & Chet on the Silver Screen
    Posted: 13 Mar 2016 at 6:33am
Miles & Chet on the Silver Screen

Fans of jazz trumpet and cinema will have plenty to chew on in the coming weeks as two of the most iconic figures in jazz history will be portrayed on the silver screen. Born to be Blue, which stars Ethan Hawke as Chet Baker, will open in theaters on March 25, andMiles Ahead, which stars Don Cheadle as Miles Davis, opens in New York and Los Angeles April 1, with a wider release in the weeks following.

Hawke will visit the 92Y in New York City on March 17 to promote his movie. Following a preview screening of Born to be Blue, Hawke will discuss the film and his career with 92Y Reel Pieces moderator Annette Insdorf.

As part of the SXSW festival in Austin, Texas, there will be two screenings of Miles Ahead: one on March 16 at the Paramount Theatre and another on March 19 at the Stateside Theatre.

Cheadle (who co-wrote the screenplay and directed the film) will participate in a panel discussion about the movie on March 17 at 12:30 p.m. at the Austin Convention Center.

Other participating panelists will be keyboardist Robert Glasper (who scored the film and is producing a forthcoming Miles Davis remix project); Erin Davis (Miles Davis Estate, executive producer of Miles Ahead); Vince Wilburn, Jr. (Miles Davis Estate, producer ofMiles Ahead); Skip Lievsay (Oscar-winning supervising sound editor, re-recording mixer and sound designer); and Keyon Harrold (a Grammy-winning trumpeter who is featured on the film’s soundtrack). The panel will be moderated by Felix Contreras (NPR host, Alt-Latino).

Click below to see previews of each film, including a scene from Born to be Blue in which actor Kedar Brown portrays Davis.

from www.downbeat.com

Splanky View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Splanky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 6:30pm
Both these movies opened recently in my town (Philadelphia).  I am apprehensive about seeing them.  I have been disappointed too often by movies about jazz icons.  Has anyone seen either of these yet?
Scott W. Weaver
www.splankyradio.com
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 7:01pm
No, I haven't seen them, and I feel the same apprehensions that you do. I prpobably won't rush towards either, but i hold out hope that either might be good.
I would imagine the Baker movie would focus a lot on his down slide, which I'm not all that interested in, at least not as dramatic movie fodder.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic