Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Interviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hashima Interview

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hashima Interview
    Posted: 07 Dec 2015 at 9:05am
Resuming our interview series, we start today with Hashima, and maybe they can begin by telling us who is in the band.
igormiskovic View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igormiskovic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 10:21am
In the band we have a double bass, played by Vanja Todorovic with a lot of experience in playing old traditional folk music orchestras.
Tenor Saxophone is played by Srđan Mijalković, with a special lyrical jazz touch. He played in a lots of Belgradian jazz combos.

Drums are played by Aleksandar Hristić with hard rock/metal background, that changed during the years to improvisational music, and all sorts of different stuff.

Composition and Guitar is Igor Mišković's job. I play an archtop guitar trying to build harmonies that are not usuall Jazz harmonies and that are closer to contemporary classic. I am also trying not to improvise in a solo act, but using more strings at once and making drone long dinamics with tremolo and reverb.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 10:39am
Lots of interesting diverse influences there.
What are some albums you could name as favorites, or influences on your sound?
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igormiskovic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2015 at 5:15pm
Well there are a lot of influences, from classical music, Igor Stravinsky - Rite of Spring, Modest Mussorgsky - Pictures at an Exibition, Dmitri Shostakovich - String Quartet no8, to jazz records like Miles Davis - Bitches Brew,  Sun Ra - Lanquidity, Charles Mingus - Live at Carnegie Hall, Wayne Shorter - Without a Net,... 

Edited by igormiskovic - 10 Dec 2015 at 5:32am
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 8:41am
I like a lot of those too, I'll have to check out Shostakovitch's 8th String Quartet, I don't know that one.

What are some of the cities and venues you have played at?
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igormiskovic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 12:48pm
Here is a link of 2 movement, fast one very dramatic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odLNJK70nvE

Actually, the band is working only a little more than a year, and in that time we played around Serbia and Montenegro, and played and opened the biggest festival in this part of Europe, Belgrade Jazz Festival. We recorded an album and released it just 2 month ago. And now Hashima is a kind of discovery for everyone on festival and in Serbia. We got a lot of response from jazz critiques from USA, UK, Poland, Netherlands,...

We are actually overwhelmed by the response we are getting. So it is really at this point, that we are organizing and trying to get to European jazz festivals with our music.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 2:44am
Thanks for the Shostakovitch link, that sounded great.

I guess you've heard some of the jazz versions of "Rites of Spring", I like this one by Eric Hofbauer better than some of the others.
You can hers the whole album here:

Edited by js - 12 Dec 2015 at 2:45am
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igormiskovic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 6:57am
Eric Hofbauer sounds great!

Here is my favourite version:
https://soundcloud.com/quartetski/sets/quartetski-does-stravinsky

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2015 at 11:09am
You're right, that is a really good version.
I don't know this group Quartetski, are they mostly an avant-garde jazz group?
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igormiskovic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2015 at 3:48pm
They are an avantgarde jazz band.

Back to Hashima, this is a nice TV story with english subtitle,
about the band and inspiration that came from this japanese island - Hashima. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKCSR0z21eo

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 4:41am
The story of that island is interesting, and very sad as well. I watched a couple more videos about it. I suppose using the name Hashima allows you to spread this story so it is not forgotten.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igormiskovic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 4:52am
Actually it is a kind of concept, that derived from poetry. 

It is kind of an anti-utopia sensibility that stands out in our music.

Have you seen our live video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LV-X2lA-2A

What is your impression of the music? 
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 10:15pm
Its a good video, I have seen it before, anytime we add a new band to the site, I spend a lot of time with the music of that band. You guys have a lot of passion and originality in your music.

Edited by js - 15 Dec 2015 at 11:43pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic