JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Music notation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Music notation
    Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 11:28am
Hi guys

I'm currently learning a modal jazz waltz piece, just wondering if anyone can help with th following musical notation query I have.

The bass clef stave starts with a dotted minim so the note lasts for 3 beats, but above this note is a quarter note rest also in the bass clef stave.

How do I play this? Do I pause for a quarter note before I play the dotted minim? It doesn't make sense!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Mark
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 11:36am
Since you say its a waltz, I'll assume its in 3/4 time.
It sounds like the bass clef is possibly showing two parts at the same time, for instance some Bach pieces show 3 or 4 parts at a time.
If that is the case, then your held dotted half note is the note to play, the rest applies to another voice. 
Sometimes these other voices are supplied so that you understand the piece from the standpoint of part writing.

Edited by js - 09 Jul 2015 at 1:21pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic