Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New album from Joey Alexander

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New album from Joey Alexander
    Posted: 12 May 2015 at 9:51am

Dear Friends in Music

Please welcome to Your world, Motéma's recording artist, and my Little Big (or my Big Little) friend, the most amazing, 12 years old Indonesian jazz piano prodigy, now residing in the world's jazz capital, New York City -  JOEY ALEXANDER.

Joey has his debut album "My Favorite Things" featuring Larry Grenadier (Stan Getz, Brad Mehldau, Pat Metheny), Ulysses Owens Jr. (Kurt Elling, Wynton Marsalis, Christian McBride), Russell Hall (bass), Sammy Miller (drums) and Alphonso Horne (trumpet). Official worldwide release date; May 12, 2015.

If You haven't heard his name by now, please memorize this name: JOEY ALEXANDER. Joey is one of today's most impressive musicians I am aware of.And again, he is only 12 years old (in June), and wow! I feel very honored to know Joey, to be friend with his great parents Danny and Fara, and it was an immense privilege for being able to organe Joey's first ever full performances in the USA, at the Paul Robeson Center For The Arts in Pricneton, NJ on May 4 and  at ShapeShifter Lab in Brooklyn, New York City on May 7 of 2014. ​

If the word “genius” still means anything, it applies to this prodigy.”  "(Joey) plays with breathtaking precocity and mastery of several decades of piano style."  — DownBeat Magazine

“Technically fluent and harmonically astute.”  — The New York Times

“Magnificent not only for the child’s virtuosity - plenty of prodigies have outsized chops - but for the maturity and perception he brought.”  — Jazz Time

"Wynton Marsalis and Herbie Hancock set Joey Alexander on a path to make some serious waves here in the U.S."  — The JazzLine

For all inquiries about the publicity and more, please contact Joey's record label:
(Motéma is NYC based jazz and world music label that has in their roster artists such as Ginger Baker, Arturo O'Farrill, Joe Locke, Charnett Moffett, Eldar Djangirov, Feoff Keezer, Marc Cary, Monty Alexander, Rufus Reid, Randy Weston, Will Calhoun and many others​.)

For all booking worldwide, please contact Joey's booking agency:
IMN - International Music Network www.imnworld.com/artists​
(IMN is a premier jazz and world music booking agency that has in their roster artists such as Wayne Shorter, Joe Lovano, John Scofild, McCoy Tyner, Danilo Perez, Dave Holland, Jack DeJohnette, Gilberto Gil, Caetano Veloso, Milton Nascimento, Avishai Cohen, Ladysmth Black Mambazo,Youssou N'Dour  and many others​.)

An extraordinary and uniquely gifted young pianist from Indonesia (born in 2003), Joey Alexander marks his recording debut with the release of *My Favorite Things* (May 12, 2015). Joey brings a delicate, profound and soulful touch to his own interpretation of such classics as My Favorite ThingsGiant Stepsand Over the Rainbow and showcases his talents as an arranger, composer and bandleader. Joey Alexander taught himself to play piano by listening with his father to classic jazz albums. An amateur musician, Alexander’s father soon recognized his son’s gift for jazz, as his technique and ability to grasp complicated musical concepts was beyond someone of his years. Due to the lack of jazz education where he lived, Alexander began attending jam sessions with senior musicians. From there, his musical intuition flourished, as did his love of playing jazz. In recognition of his talent, UNESCO invited Alexander to play solo piano in honor of his jazz idol Herbie Hancock, who provides enthusiastic support to Alexander’s budding career. Through festival appearances and awards for his improvisational brilliance, the world has taken notice of this phenomenal and exciting pianist with the astonishing technique and soulful sound.

For upcoming Joey's performance, please chek his website:

And above all, please get Joey's debut album, Joey is one of a kind.
On Amazon (CD) or iTunes (Digital, including 2 bonus tracks)

MoonJune Records is home for many amazing contemporary Indonesian progressive jazz and fusion artists which I promote gradually since 2007, such as Dewa Budjana, Dwiki Dharmawan, Tohpati, Riza Arshad's simakDialog, Tesla Manaf, I Know You Well Miss Clara, Agam Hamzah & Ligro, and more to come. And I am more than happy to see more and more In donesian musicians in different genres being more and more known around the world, it is an amazing country, full of amazing people and amazingly talented msuciians in all genres,a nd definitely Joey Alexander is possibly one of the Indonesian's greatest talents.
As they say in Indonesia, SUKSES MAS JOEY!

Yours truly
Leonardo/MoonJune

Get this album on Amazon, click on the album cover.

Get this album on iTunes, click on the image here below.

Behind the scenes with the uniquely gifted pianist Joey Alexander for his debut album "My Favorite Things" out May 12, 2015. Click on the image to wath the video clip.

Joey performing at the Indonesian iCanStudioLive TV channel in December  2013, a medley of 3 compostions: Round Midnight (by Thelonious Monk), Armando Rhumba (by Chick Corea) and Giant Steps (by John Coltrane). CLick on the image to watch the video clip.

Last year Joey came with his parents for the first time to the USA and he delivered on May 1st, 2014 an emotional magic piano solo recital that brought to tears Wynton Marsalis and Crystal at the Lincoln Center's gala concert, “Love, Loss and Laughter: The Story of Jazz”. Click on the image to watch Joey's performance of 'Round Midnight'. Simply OUSTANDING!​ 

I knew about Joey since 2012, but a friend of mine sent me this vdeo clip in July ofv 2013,a nd I was stunned and watched this at least 10 times that same night and I knew in that exact moment that Joey is something else!

MoonJune Records & Management is the international record label and management of the jazz and progressive musis side of most famous Indonesian guitarist, DEWA BUDJANA (of the Indonesian pop-rock icons GIGI). Dewa Budjana's album "Hasta Karma" is the fourth on MoonJune Records and features Joe Locke (vibraphone), Ben Williams (upright bass), Antonio Sanchez (drums) and special guest Indra Lesmana (piano, melodica on few tracks)

Here below You can watch a teaser from the last year's recording session of the album, released in February 2015. 

In January 2015, in Woodstock, NY, Dewa Budjana recorded material for two albums for his Gitarku record label, distributed internationally by MoonJune Records. A jazzier album to be called "Zentuary" featuring Jack DeJohnette (drums)Tony Levin (uprigh bass), Gary Husband (piano) plus few very special guests will be relased in October of 2015, and the second one, more fusiony, featuring Gary Husband (drums) and Tony Levin (uprigh bass, syick), with several special guests, will be released in February 2016.

Width_fix_for_editor
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic