JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

If Miles Davis stuck around a bit longer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PopetherevXXVIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: If Miles Davis stuck around a bit longer
    Posted: 08 May 2015 at 8:04am
I feel like engaging in some speculation.  I've been thinking alot lately about where Miles may have gone had he been with us alittle longer. If he was still alive he'd be pushing 90 so I'm not going to speculate if he was still live. Though who knows if he could still play maybe he would still be active.  But I digress, what I was thinking about was if Miles was with us just a little longer where might his music have taken us? His final Album was delving into Hip Hop and I'm sure we'd have gotten a few of those out of him. But then this thing called EDM popped up. I can totally imagine his trumpet accompanied by Drum N Bass, and old man Miles, lending his horn to Dubstep, or house music. Miles seemed to follow musical trends so experimenting with EDM seems like it would have been a natural evolution for Old Man Miles.

Curious to read where some of you think his music may have gone if he was with us a bit longer.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2015 at 11:04am
Miles would have certainly been interested in new rhythms, particularly drumnbass and dub.
If you listen to his last live concerts, he was also very interested in orchestration, somewhat like his past with Gil Evans.
I think his music would have mixed modern electronica and hip-hop with sophisticated arrangements and orchestrations, just my guess. Wink
PopetherevXXVIII View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PopetherevXXVIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2015 at 12:05pm
The things Miles could have done with Daft Punk or the Chemical Brothers, Possibly even Roni Size or Future Sound of London may have been amongst his best work. Assuming you're like me and love electronic music.

Thumbing through You Tube I came across this, http://https://youtu.be/YMQ2vUtN9SQ That's as good a possibility as any of where he may have gone.

Then there's the possibility that Miles may have one day worked with Rick Rubin, that may have produced something interesting as well.

Edited by PopetherevXXVIII - 08 May 2015 at 12:29pm
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2015 at 2:52pm
I like all those artists you named, and any of them could have made good music with Miles, but I think possibly he might have worked with Bill Laswell first. I know they had come very close to doing a project together.
Unfortunately your youtube link didn't work, live youtube links don't work on this site anymore, but if you paste it without making it a clickable link, it will work as a copy and paste link.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PopetherevXXVIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2015 at 6:21pm
alright https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMQ2vUtN9SQ

I had to look up Who Bill Laswell is. I'll have to check him out from what I was reading he might very well be a glimpse of what may have been with Miles.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2015 at 3:49am
^ Thats nice for a basic track, it worked best with Wayne Shorter's solo. A more developed drum track would have been good too.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PopetherevXXVIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2015 at 8:06am
There are a lot of interesting remixes floating around you tube. For Miles and Duke anyway I haven't looked up anyone else. I'm sure somebody did some reworkings of Monk.  There are a few just OK remixes of Mingus' work mostly in the hip hop genre and mostly of Moanin, kind of disappointing, as I think he might have been another one who would have embraced Electronic music, though from the way he comes off in documentaries, hip hop is a good fit for him as well.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2015 at 10:32am
I have a 9 Lazy 9 record that uses Monk riffs, also Dizzy and others.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PopetherevXXVIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2015 at 11:00pm
Interesting. I'll have to start digging for who has used Jazz Samples might yield some interesting finds.  Bob James is something like the 5th most sampled person of all time or something.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic