JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Who Performed It?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who Performed It?
    Posted: 04 Nov 2014 at 2:08am
Beyond my appreciation for the performers and the music I know little of jazz.  I'm posting to see if anyone recognizes the following lyrics (as I recall them):

...haven't been to church, for sometime.  Haven't been a praying...

I heard it in the late 60s or early 70s and would like to determine the title and who performed it. If I could find a recording I'd purchase it.  While I heard it only a few times, it left an impression that has lasted 45 +/- years.

Internet searches don't return any useful information to the best of my knowledge.  I suspect this is a job for a jazz high priest with a hell of a memory.

Thanks in advance for any insight you may have.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2014 at 7:21pm
Those lyrics sound familiar, but i can't place it. Was it a female or male singer?
Also, I was wondering if maybe this was actually a blues song rather than a jazz one.
Do you recall the instruments backing up the singer? In other words, acoustic piano or electric guitar or full big band, etc.
amature View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2014 at 1:07am
Thanks for taking the time to reply.  It is a long time ago but I believe it was a male singer.  And now I'm reaching farther than I should and saying that trombone was featured in the piece.  I played trombone through college and would naturally be attracted to the instrument being featured in a piece.  That being said, ones memory can be totally flawed.  I'm ignorant, but I don't feel like the piece would be considered a blues composition.   I'm sure that helps!

Best regards and thanks again,
Al
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic