JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Could you help me out ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Could you help me out ?
    Posted: 25 Sep 2014 at 8:24pm
hey,
I'm usually more of a "heavy-music" listener but open for any genre that catches my eye and so I recently stumbled upon this video :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyXwT2_CIEo#t=42

And I gotta say I really dig that song. My problem though is that since i'm completely new to Jazz I dont know if thats a sub-genre and how it's called, or any other artist that sounds alike. By simply googling Jazz artists I could not really find anything like that. It's such a hard genre to get into because it's just so wide spread and there are sub-genres that I dont like at all and others that i find interesting. So if you could help me out with finding other artists that sound like the one in the video i would greatly appreciate it.
To sum up what i'm generelly looking for: mostly instrumental tracks with piano parts and preferably complex rhythmic structures. I know that's all a bit vage but I hope you can help me.

Greetings from Germany,
Jannes
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2014 at 9:43pm
Genre wise, that is sort of in-between modern fusion and contemporary piano trios. You might want to check out contemporary piano trios in general, a lot of them are rock influenced like that.
I know there are some piano trios that sound sort of like that, off hand maybe Robert Glasper or Craig Taborn.
I'll try to think of more.
hake View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2014 at 10:39pm
thank you very much !!
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2014 at 2:31am
Probably one of genre-describing artist is Hiromi (Hiromi Uehara),on different projects she plays wide  range of similar music from contemporary jazz to pure fusion

In Germany, Michael Wollny is probably one of closest

Another rising star as Armenian Tigran Hamasyan presented on your sample is a musician with similar background - Kyrgyzstan-born Eldar Djangirov 

Edited by snobb - 26 Sep 2014 at 2:51am
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2014 at 3:53am
A lot of Robert Glasper's current music is in more of a RnB direction, but the music of his trio might interest you.
hake View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2014 at 8:59am
Hiromi is what comes closes to that what i was looking for. That said, the others are very interesting too especially the older stuff from Robert Glasper.
Thank you both for the fast and helpful replies !
carlomuscat View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carlomuscat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 5:07am
You might also find Shai Maestro to be a nice addition to your playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ervj5iFXtSQ

Edited by carlomuscat - 29 Nov 2014 at 5:08am
Carlo Muscat
www.carlomuscat.com

SoundCloud | bit.ly/11dCu7g
YouTube | bit.ly/1UhEyUb
Bandcamp | bit.ly/1Wp0HQH

Instagram | bit.ly/1pkoFAI
Twitter | bit.ly/1UYdGIQ

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic