JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

When Lights Are Low

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrdlu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2014 at 5:43pm
Miles forgot the B section of that piece, and just took the A section up a fourth. (That version is on one of the Prestige sessions with Trane, Red Garland, Paul Chambers and Philly Joe.)

I think I have heard the whole thing as Benny Carter wrote it, but I don't recall how it goes.

All the best with this. Try to get into Eb (and all the other keys) as soon as you can.

Lol, I was tossed in at the deep end with keys, at the tender age of 14. I used to take my alto saxophone to school, to jam with a friend who had a brand new Fender Stratocaster (guitar). He was into early pop and rock. Like most of those players, he spent most of the time in E, which is C# on an alto saxophone, so I had to get used to that key in a hurry.
gitfrog View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gitfrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2014 at 6:35pm
I've never been a big fan of Miles and I think it was probably from some of first stuff I heard in the 50s. I just never followed up on him until lately. I'm now beginning to like a some of his work.

The first time I heard "When Lights Are Low" is a Howard Roberts recording on his Capitol album "Color Him Funky. He uses the original composition by Carter. There's also a YouTube of Carter playing his piece. I got to go with the original over Miles. Funny thing is most of the charts you find on the net are Miles' version, which is too bad.
Shrdlu View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrdlu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2014 at 6:02am
I agree about not using the Miles version. The piece should be played as Benny wrote it.

Miles often tended to alter a piece, for whatever reason. He recorded "Straight, No Chaser" in F, and at a fairly brisk tempo. Because it's a blues, the performance is great. But Monk wrote that in Bb. He recorded the definitive version of that on the Riverside album "Five By Monk By Five", at a nice, slow groove.

Some Miles recommendations for you: The "Miles Ahead" album, with Gil Evans, and a piece called "Eighty-One", from 1965. That piece has a funky groove alternating with straight 4/4.

One alteration by Miles was a really good idea. Joe Zawinul brought "In A Silent Way" to a session, and they recorded a dreary take of it. Then Miles said why not drop all the chords and play the melody over a sustained E on the bass. That gave them a masterpiece.
gitfrog View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gitfrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2014 at 6:53am
I just listened to "In A Silent Way". I'm afraid my first instincts about Miles, at least for me, still holds. The only Miles music I own is "Birth of the Cool". That's on vinyl and it was an auto send from Capitol when I belonged to the Capitol Record Club 60 years ago.

Thanks for the recommendations. It's been nice chatting with you.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic