JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Top 10s and lists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Favorite/recommended double (upright) bass players
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Favorite/recommended double (upright) bass players

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favorite/recommended double (upright) bass players
    Posted: 23 Nov 2013 at 4:02am
I put the "upright" in there to facilitate the search of the thread to some degree.

So, who are your favorite jazz double bass players (of any jazz sub-genre)? Who are the ones you would recommend? It can be one or two lists, doesn't matter. You get the gist of it. Top 5/10/100, doesn't matter; just top. I'm pretty sure quite a few of you are going to mention Chuck Mingus. Wink

Edited by Dayvenkirq - 23 Nov 2013 at 4:05am
“… Miles often looked back but he always moved forwards. … Because the only thing you've got is your creative basis, your memory.” – Ian Carr (Miles Davis’ biographer).
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2013 at 4:09am
Ron Carter is on a lot of records I like, a very versatile bass player for almost any style. Charlie Haden has always been a favorite, and one of the most recognizable voices. I have several Mingus albums, they're all good. Dave Holland has a lot of fans.

Edited by js - 23 Nov 2013 at 7:41am
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2013 at 5:38am
^ additionally to above mentioned I would recommend Eddie Gomez ( better as collaborator than solo artist) and Gary Peacock and - if you need more adventurous sound - William Parker

Edited by snobb - 23 Nov 2013 at 5:40am
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2013 at 3:25am
referring to playing only I would mention Ron Carter and Charlie Haden 
but I always prefer listening to Avishai Cohen and  Lars Danielsson due to the great music they write
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
Stayl View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stayl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2014 at 9:05am
Paul Chambers was the finest upright bass player for me, he had mostly perfect bass lines without pushing time and so clean, and his improvisations had alot of emotions and intonations.
Otherwise, there are other great upright bass players, like Charles Mingus, Jimmy Garrison or more recently John Patitucci who has a very clean playing.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2014 at 2:39am
Mingus and Graham Collier are definitely my faves, but they both also were fantastic composers as well
a special thought for Charlie Haden as well.

Edited by Sean Trane - 16 Jul 2014 at 2:40am
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Shrdlu View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrdlu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 2:30pm
There are so many great jazz bassists.

My favorites are Paul Chambers and Ron Carter.

Paul's playing gave a tremendous lift to any rhythm section. As Ron Carter said, he was "a soloist par excellence" as well. He was also one of the few who played arco (bowed) solos, Slam Stewart being another, and long before Paul came along. At times, his intonation was a wee bit off, but the "feel" made up for it.

Ron has a wonderful deep sound, and the notes seem to grow after he has plucked them. I don't know how he does that, but no doubt it has to do with a strong left hand. His own bass, which he doesn't always have with him, has a low C extension, which goes well with his deep sound.

Jazz bass started out as an oompah bass, two to the bar, usually with a brass bass. Walter Page was one of the first to play 4/4 walking bass lines, in the amazing Count Basie rhythm section. Walter played fairly simple lines, with none of the chromatic notes that the bop and later bassists used. Then, there was a major step forward, when Jimmy Blanton came along, in the Duke Ellington band. Jimmy played a lot of modern 4/4 lines and was the pioneer modern jazz bassist.

That opened the door to later name bassists, such as Oscar Pettiford, Tommy Potter, Ray Brown and Percy Heath.

Then, more and more excellent bassists appeared: Paul Chambers, Wendell Marshall, Doug Watkins, and on and on.

Let's not forget Milt Hinton, who started in the swing era and carried on into the modern era. He was probably the most recorded jazz bassist ever. And then there was Israel Crosby, who was in the great Ahmad Jamal trio.

In the 1960s, Richard Davis suddenly started to appear on just about everybody's sessions. He brought a new approach: a lot of high register notes and avant garde playing on Blue Note sessions, such as those of Andrew Hill. Yet he also played with the Thad Jones/Mel Lewis big band.

Trane  had three fine bassists, in Reggie Workman, Art Davis and Jimmy Garrison. Reggie also played with Art Blakey.

There are so many.
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
JMA Jazz Reviewer
JMA Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2022 at 10:36am
The first ones that come to my mind:

1: Dave Holland
2. Ron Carter
3. Eddie Gomez
4. Palle Danielsson
5. Marc Johnson
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic