JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Suggest new bands/artists to JMA
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Herman Clebanoff & His Orchestra

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Herman Clebanoff & His Orchestra
    Posted: 29 Oct 2013 at 8:13pm
Looks like they were quite popular a couple of generations ago:

http://www.allmusic.com/album/lush-latin-bossa-nova-too-mw0001500647

I have the original incarnation of this 50-year-old album.  
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2013 at 9:21pm
We're going to add Clebenof to the site, but he's not really jazz, more of an exotic easy listening arranger. He'll fit nicely in our Exotica section.

I have one of his albums too, in excellent condition. I collect this kind of stuff on vinyl, arrangers were so creative then, recording techniques were at a peak also.
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2013 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

but he's not really jazz, more of an exotic easy listening arranger.

Yes, one can (successfully) argue that the bossa nova genre with its smooth melodies and highly predictable rhythm is wholesale "easy listening" .. but so is much of the commercialized jazz before the advent of bebop. 

Edited by Argonaught - 29 Oct 2013 at 9:53pm
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2013 at 10:27pm
A lot of Bossa Nova is jazz, but Clebenof is not really a jazz arranger, he's a easy listening guy.
The pure Bossa Nova artists like Jobim and Gilberto are all jazz artists, but they also very popular with the easy listening crowd as well. We have a Bossa Nova genre for those guys, but Clebenof is not really pure Bossa Nova.
Great reommendation all the same.
Also, bebop (40s and onward) comes before Bossa Nova (50s and onward). Wink 
We have genre definitions on the site if you want to check them out, you can also go to sites like allmusic and others and read about the various genres in jazz. I teach this stuff for a living, so I'd better know or I won't get paid. Stern Smile

Edited by js - 29 Oct 2013 at 10:31pm
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2013 at 3:05am
added                                                 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic