JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music News, Press Releases
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Estonian Singer Sofia Rubina Releases  "I am Soul"
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Estonian Singer Sofia Rubina Releases "I am Soul"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Estonian Singer Sofia Rubina Releases "I am Soul"
    Posted: 15 Jan 2024 at 11:24pm

SOULFUL, EXPRESSIVE ESTONIAN VOCALIST

SOFIA RUBINA RELEASES 

I AM SOUL

An Enthralling Blend of Jazz, Soul, R&B and Pop

Released in the USA on December 8, 2023

SOFIA RUBINA - I Am Soul cover

With a population of about 1.3 million people, Estonia is a small country in Northern Europe, bordering on the Baltic Sea and the Gulf of Finland. Although it has its own rich cultural heritage, it has embraced musicians and artists from around the world. The country hosts several music and arts festivals, including Jaakaar, the largest jazz festival in the Baltics. The beginnings of Estonian jazz go back to the summer of 1918 when a dance band was formed in Tallinn, the country’s capital, by a group of schoolboys who wanted to play the modern tunes of the time. The swing craze swept the country in the late 1930s, and the first jazz concert in a philharmonic hall took place in 1936.

Today, Estonia is home to many top-notch jazz musicians, including vocalist SOFIA RUBINA, who is releasing her sixth album, I AM SOUL.

I AM SOUL showcases Rubina’s powerful and expressive vocal versatility and her personal blend of jazz and soul. Anne Erm, music critic and artistic director of Jazzkaar festival, says, “Estonian vocal jazz gem Sofia Rubina has proven herself as a stylish jazz vocalist, a passionate soul singer, a sunny funky princess and a genuine connoisseur of the deep roots of Jewish songs. Whatever Sofia Rubina creates or performs, she does everything with great love and dedication.”

The album features eleven tracks, covering artists such as Bonnie Raitt, George Duke, and Chick Corea, as well as six songs written or co-written by Rubina. To create a modern jazz and soul sound, Rubina collaborated with EVGENY LEBEDEV. An award-winning pianist and graduate of Berklee College, Lebedev has worked with some of the top names in jazz, such as Jack DeJohnette, Marcus Miller, Lenny White, Randy Brecker, David Sanchez, Joe Lovano, Terri Lyne Carrington, and George Garzone. Also joining Rubina are ANTON REVNYUK on bass and IGNAT KRAVTSOV on drums, both of whom enjoy stellar international reputations. A string quartet is also featured on several tunes.

I AM SOUL is a journey through Rubina’s expressive and exuberant soul. Rubina was born in Tartu, a cultural center in Southern Estonia. Her family were scientists who appreciated music and supported her musical aspirations. Taking vocal lessons from the age of 10, she was inspired by Ella Fitzgerald, Dee Dee Bridgewater, and Dianne Reeves. She studied music at the renowned Vilandi Academy of Culture and at the Berklee Global Jazz Institute, where she studied with Danilo Perez.

Rubina has won many accolades in her six-album career. Her album In the Land of Oo-Bla-Dee earned her Best Jazz Album of the Year from the Estonian Music Awards. She took first place at several national singing and jazz competitions in Estonia and has collaborated with many notable musicians and big bands. She has performed internationally in the USA at Blue Note NYC, as well as major venues in Panama, Italy, Spain, UK, Germany, Austria, Russia, Finland, Sweden, Denmark, Faroe Islands, China, Poland, Lithuania, and Latvia.

Rubina says, "This album is authentically me, who I really am, vulnerable, powerful, joyful, searching for meaning, trying to listen to my inner voice. I see musicians as channelers delivering messages."

She opens the album with “Home,” an original that she dedicates to her daughter Naima. Rubina says, “This song was lingering in my head for a while and then came together as a beautiful mix of a 5/4 and 3/4 jazz groove with a very sweet melody.”

Other originals include “Taim,” which Rubina sings in Estonian. The title means ‘plant.’ The Estonian lyrics have a deeper meaning, which Rubina explains, “The song is like a mantra – SaTaNaMa, which means Sa — birth, beginning and the totality of the cosmos, Ta — life, existence, and creativity manifest Na — death and transformation, and Ma — rebirth, regeneration and consciously experiencing the joy of the Infinite. I feel that through life we grow as human beings, learning step by step, day by day, we evolve towards the light.”

“Morning Etude” has a modern jazz feel with a polyrhythmic groove that moves to 7/4 in the solo. The song is about approaching every morning as a new beginning and seeing what you can do to be of service to the world around you.

“Great Life” is a joyful song about loving life with an Al Jarreau vibe. “Unsung Song” is a bluesy, funky number about the end of love and letting go of hard feelings. “Come To Your Senses” is a funky wake-up call for people to pay attention and make the right decisions. Rubina says, “In our world today, it's very important to focus on positive things and focus less on negativity, even when it’s very difficult.”

“Stay True” is gospel and blues inflected song about trusting and believing in yourself. Rubina also covers “Surgery” by the gospel group L. Spenser Smith and Testament. Rubina says, “I learned this song in a gospel choir in 2008 at Berklee summer school in Umbria. The song stirs up a lot of emotions for me. It's a healing message for the world.”

“I Can’t Make You Love Me,” by Nashville writers Mike Reid and Allen Shamblin, has been covered by diverse artists from Nancy Wilson to Bonnie Raitt. The string quartet gives the tune a lush sound. George Duke is one of Rubina’s favorite pianists and singers. She sings a soulful cover of his sweet love song “Someday.”

She closes the album with “Open Your Eyes You Can Fly” by Chick Corea and Neville Potter. Rubina says, “This is a beautiful jazz standard that I’ve been singing for more than 20 years. It was wonderful to be able to record my version of this song.”

Sofia Rubina is a versatile, expressive singer seemingly able to sing anything. Her jazz stylings are inflected with a range of American musical styles, from blues and Gospel to pop and R&B. Her original songs are catchy and reflect a joie de vivre which is so sorely needed in today’s fraught times.

# # #

I AM SOUL was just released in the USA on December 8, 2023 and is available for digital and physical sales at Sofiarubina.bandcamp.com/album/i-am-soul.

WATCH: Bit.ly/SofiaRubina-GreatLife (“Great Life”)

Online:

Sofiarubina.eu

Facebook.com/SofiaRubinaMusicPage

IG: Bit.ly/IG-SofiaRubina  

Edited by snobb - 15 Jan 2024 at 11:25pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic