JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Jazz Against the Machine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlueNote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jazz Against the Machine
    Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 7:43pm
Hi.

I've recently found this wonderful version of a not-so-wonderful original. Haven't seen something like this for a long time. 

Any ideas on changes there? Plus, do you know any other things like this? I find it very interesting, if done properly.

Thanks.

Edited by BlueNote - 29 Aug 2013 at 7:43pm
We lay on our backs, looking at the ceiling and wondering what God had wrought when He made life so sad.
- Jean-Louis Lebris de Kerouac
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 8:00pm
Well yeah, that was fun. Obviously they aren't trying to be too serious, the beat is just goofy country swing, this is more like a campy send-up or parody. 
Campy kitsch versions of songs go way back. A personal favorite of mine is Pat Boone's version of "Enter Sandman". I'll find a link and drop it off in a second.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 8:03pm
Here is Pat Boone singing "Enter Sandman". This is supposed to be humorous and "campy", but the plus to me is that this version really rocks, or swings, whatever.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 8:24pm
Bryan Ferry recorded several Roxy Music songs in the style of 1920s jazz. His versions are not so much "camp" as he was sincerely trying to get an accurate 1920s sound, and he did a pretty good job of it too.
Here is the Roxy Music song "Bogus Man" in the style of 1920s jazz.

Edited by js - 29 Aug 2013 at 8:25pm
BlueNote View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlueNote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 5:32am
Wow, thank you!
We lay on our backs, looking at the ceiling and wondering what God had wrought when He made life so sad.
- Jean-Louis Lebris de Kerouac
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 10:28am
There's always  jazzy versions of classical pieces, some are cheezier than others. One of my favorites is Duke Ellington, here is his version of "Hall of the Mountain King".
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 2:16pm
Here is Don Ellis' big band playing Yes' "Roundabout".
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic