JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How to start??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockinglicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to start??
    Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 9:09pm

I want few tips to begin playing with the jazz guitar? I am totally beginner. So, I want easy stuff. I'd love to learn to play jazz guitar as it sounds cool and makes me feel pleased.

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2013 at 1:55am
I teach people how to play jazz, including the occasional guitar student, so I'll see if I can help. First, give me some background that might help me.
1) Do you already know how to play guitar? If so, what styles do you play?
2) What style of jazz do you want to play? Do you have some favorite guitar players or guitar albums.

Just to give you a start, if you already know some guitar, playing jazz is all about the extended chords; 7ths, 9ths, 11ths, etc and altered chords. So be ready to start expanding your chord knowledge.

If you already know some guitar, then try "Tune Up" or "Lover Man", both are fairly easy tunes for beginners. You'll probably want to buy "The Real Book", it has lots of tunes.

I moved this thread to the Musicians Exchange.

Edited by js - 18 Jul 2013 at 1:57am
rockinglicks View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockinglicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2013 at 10:33pm

I actually used to play acoustic some years back. I am back at strumming and would like to learn the jazz. I can play somehow but when it comes to alter chords, I find it little difficulty. My fingers need to be swift, I guess. Well, thanks for your feedback. Let me try these tunes.

sirat199 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sirat199 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2013 at 1:42pm
Actually Your chords for jazz guitar are considerably more complex compared to open chords acoustic players make use of. At least start using 7 chords (minor, major, and dominant) and don't use many open strings. It's the basic.Star

Edited by snobb - 11 Dec 2013 at 2:57pm
Shrdlu View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrdlu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 3:21pm
I recommend listening to a lot of recordings by well-known players, and, at times, playing along with the records - you can't break anything, lol.

Assuming that you want a "modern" guitar sound, and also not  a rock or fusion sound, I suggest Kenny Burrell, Grant Green and Wes Montgomery, to begin with. They always sound good - though for Green I would cut things off at about 1965; he was on countless Blue Note sessions and always sounded great. Their solos are always easy to follow.

John McLaughlin is amazing, but I dislike fusion music, and John plays so fast that you would have quite a time keeping up with him. My favorite McLaughlin is on Miles's "In A Silent Way" and, a distant second, "Bitches' Brew".
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic