Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pianist and Composer EUNMI LEE's Debut

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pianist and Composer EUNMI LEE's Debut
    Posted: 16 Jul 2023 at 12:12pm

PIANIST AND COMPOSER EUNMI LEE’S DEBUT ALBUM

INTROSPECTION

REVEALS AN EXCITING NEW VOICE ON THE AMERICAN JAZZ SCENE

Produced by Grammy-nominated ALAN FERBER & EUNMI LEE

Releasing July 14, 2023 on You&Me Music

EUNMI LEE - Introspection cover

“Eunmi Lee has already developed a unique musical voice and a highly personal approach to music composition and improvisation. She is certain to develop into one of the greatest musicians of her generation.” – Tom Cunniffe, Jazz History Online

Pianist, composer, and educator EUNMI LEE brings a distinct compositional flair with her debut album, INTROSPECTION. Lee hails from South Korea but has been living in New York City since 2020. The album was recorded in New York and features some of the finest musicians the city has to offer, including TONY KADLECK (trumpet), ALAN FERBER (trombone & producer), JON GORDON (soprano & alto sax), REMY LE BOEUF (alto & baritone sax), JOHN ELLIS (tenor sax, clarinet, bass clarinet), VINICIUS GOMES (guitar), MATT CLOHESY (double bass), and ARI HOENIG (drums). The album also features a string section comprising JOYCE HAMMANN (violin), MEG OKURA (violin), LOIS MARTIN (viola), MARIA JEFFERS (cello). and JODY REDHAGE (cello).

Critic Jonathan Widran says, “Introspection is a fascinating debut from an artist whose sense of melodic and harmonic adventure knows no bounds. It’s an exciting foundation for a career that promises to be a fruitful, ever-evolving excursion into the future of contemporary jazz… A true musical citizen of the world and fast emerging, multi-faceted musical visionary.”

It has been a circuitous journey from Korea to New York City for Lee. She began playing piano at a young age and went on to earn an associate degree in 2005 in Contemporary Music, Piano, at the Seoul Institute of Arts. After graduating, she worked as a professional musician in many different fields, like theater and commercial music, and she taught piano at several institutions. But after a friend introduced her to the GRP Records catalogue, she became intensely interested in jazz and wanted to come to America to study.

She came to California in 2007 to participate for two weeks at an open house at the Musicians Institute. Although she hoped to stay, she had to return to Korea because her family did not have the resources to support her. That, however, did not diminish her desire to study jazz. She auditioned for and received a Holland National Excellence scholarship which enabled her to study at the Maastricht Conservatorium in the Netherlands, where she received a Bachelor of Music in Jazz Studies, Jazz Piano, in 2019. In 2020, she had the means to continue her studies and moved to New York City to study at NYU where she received a Master of Music degree in Jazz Piano in 2022.

Lee arrived in New York shortly before Covid forced the city to shut down. Although most classes took place online, she forged a relationship with one of her teachers, Alan Ferber, a three-time Grammy-nominated trombonist, composer, and arranger. A mainstay on the New York jazz scene, Ferber was happy to produce her album and brought on board most of the other players.

Influenced by diverse musical traditions, from big band jazz, post-bop, chamber music and even Brazilian music, Lee’s compositions are very contemporary but shaded with her Korean culture, creating a unique and engaging soundscape.

She named the album INTROSPECTION because the compositions reflect her inner observations, that is, the emotions and images that pop up in her consciousness which she translates into music. Lee opens the album with "Gimmick,” by which she means the face and attitudes that people wear when they meet another person. The straight-ahead compositions feature a sextet with solos by John Ellis on tenor, and Lee on piano. Lee composed "Suspicion" as a chamber piece. It has a very modern, angular, and dreamy sound that points to Lee's musical versatility. She says, “I wanted to compose a piece with ideas outside of functional harmony and outside my comfort zone.”

Composed when Lee lived in the Netherlands, "5.19" refers to the date May 19, the day she wrote the piece. Lee explains, “I believe experiencing different cultures is like the excitement you feel reading thrilling books, trying new foods, and especially meeting and interacting with new people.” The composition moves through different styles, capturing the emotional changes she feels while immersing herself in new cultures.

Before Covid, Lee did not engage much with social media. However, like most of us, she had more time on her hands than usual and started exploring different social media sites. She saw that most people who post about themselves seem inordinately happy. On "Narcissism," she ponders whether one needs to possess a certain degree of narcissism to adapt to the online world, since most of the people she sees on the subway do not seem particularly happy.

"Mr. Weird" is a straight-ahead big band tune she wrote after spending months observing people in Washington Square Park, which is close to where she lives. The park is often filled with offbeat and entertaining characters. Lee says, “Sometimes, when I'm immersed in my thoughts, I imagine what it would be like if I were someone else observing me. Although the unconventional people I see seem different than me, I wonder whether they could be looking at me and having the same thoughts about me as I do about them.”

"Wavelength" is a quartet number featuring Lee’s sensitive piano playing. Lee explains, “I think that even though each person has a different personality and ideology at least partially formed by their country or race, everyone experiences empathy that is akin to a 'wavelength' that emanates from the heart. Compassion and respect for one another arise from this wavelength of the heart. Although I have faced challenging times since coming to New York, it is the kindness of people that have truly stood out to me amidst these difficult times.”

“If someone asks me the color of my heart, I would answer, without hesitation, azure, like the color of the sky,” says Lee. She wrote "Azure," the final composition on the album, using only white keys for the melody to reflect the hope and natural wonder she feels when she looks up at the sky.

INTROSPECTION is a captivating debut for emerging jazz artist Eunmi Lee. Backed by a stellar band in the capable hands of producer Alan Ferber, Lee’s contemporary sensibility, poignancy and originality ring true on every note.

# # #

INTROSPECTION will be released on July 14th on You&Me Music and will be available on all platforms; physical CD available at Bandcamp (Eunmilee.bandcamp.com/album/introspection)

WATCH EPK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bh7dWj7uiI

Online: 

Eunmileemusic.com

Facebook.com/eunmi.lee.music

Edited by snobb - 16 Jul 2023 at 12:13pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic