JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Album similar to Joe Pass's "Chops"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Album similar to Joe Pass's "Chops"
    Posted: 09 Jul 2013 at 9:28am
I'm looking for any Jazz album recommendations that have a guitar and bass duo where neither instrument is necessarily the "backing" instrument. I'm hoping someone can recommend to me an album similar to Joe Pass and Niels-Henning Orsted Pedersen's "Chops" album. Niels-henning is exactly the style of excellent bass that I'm looking for.

I listened to Phillip Catherine's "Art of the duo" and while it was a good album the bass was too background (i.e. backing instrument) and the guitar a little too leading (not much chording going on) for what I was looking for. I felt the same about Jim Hall and Ron Carter's "Alone Together" 

I also listened to Gene Bertoncini and Michael Moore's "Two in Time" and I did enjoy this album a lot.

Again the main attribute that I'm looking for similarity to "chops" in is a guitar and bass duo with a virtuosic bass leading at times.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2013 at 5:56pm
I can give you some albums that feature guitar-bass duos, but I can't recommend if they sound like "Chops". Rather than list all of them, I'll start with a few.

Here are a couple of bass players who aren't afraid to take the lead sometimes:

Gary Peacock and Bill Frisell     "Just so Happens"
Gary Peacock and Ralph Towner    "Closer View" and "Oracle"

Charlie Haden and Christian Esconde     "Gitune"
Charlie Haden and Pat Methany     "Beyond the Missouri Sky"

Let me know if you want more.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic