Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

NEW 1k RELEASES

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NEW 1k RELEASES
    Posted: 15 Feb 2023 at 2:24am

NEW 1k RELEASES

SHADOW DUO - MIMI (1k066)
Mimi is a haunting new original release from Shadow Duo, paying homage to the memory of Mimi Parker of Low and Marylou ‘Mimi’ Metz, now available at 1k Recordings.

Karen Gross - vocals, lyrics
Tim Motzer - acoustic & electric guitars, wurlitzer piano, tom, cymbals, drum machine, backing vocals

"I was stunned, as so many of us were, upon the news of Mimi Parker's passing. I loved her and Alan's work in Low for many years. That particular day, in my studio, at a particularly charged moment i played a lydian-type chord on my baritone acoustic, and like magic this song emerged, as Karen immediately sang the melody with complete lyrics. It was as if the song was channeled through us. We followed our instincts and after tracking live voice and acoustic guitar, I felt we had a take. I followed with double tracking the acoustic, & spread them in stereo. We added harmony vocals which gave the song an ethereal lushness. Since Mimi played floor tom, i decided to add some tom played with mallet to compliment the drum machine track. Afterwards, I felt her presence in the track somehow. I kept following the path, including adding electric guitars and wurlitzer piano, until we were finished. It's a beautiful but haunting piece dedicated to the memory of Mimi, but also to my sister 'Mimi' who left this world in November 2019. She was a singer too." - tim motzer

Download MIMI here:
 https://1krecordings.bandcamp.com/track/mimi

Karen's reflections:
"I honestly wasn't familiar with Low's music before Tim played it for me just after Mimi's passing. It was a full moon night, and we were in his basement recording studio in Philadelphia, and he played me some of Low's music. Instantly I was drawn in by Mimi's voice -- rich, resonant, wise, earthy, a grown woman's voice. I somehow recognized this voice. We watched the music video of their song Especially Me, with an almost ghostly image of Mimi riding the subway. I thought about the artist's journey, the life of a woman and mother in music, my own time as a singer in NYC riding the subway and treading the pavement. I thought about her partnership with Alan -- so unique to see a longstanding partnership of love and music, and so tragic to see it severed. Tim started to play the guitar and, as he does, he invited me to sing, and the lyrics of "Mimi" tumbled out, evoked by that first potent inhalation of Low and what their songs and their story viscerally summoned. Keep on wandering."

This song is a tribute to the memory of Mimi Parker (11/05/22) and Marylou 'Mimi' Metz (11/24/2019).

FROM THE 1k VAULTS: UNXP EP

UNXP EP is an epic 25 minute EP by Barry Meehan, Tim Motzer, Eric Slick, Theo Travis featuring two newly re-mastered tracks, Re:Entry_UNXP (two tracks melded into one) and Time Fears the Pyramids, (taken from the 1k034 album: Goldbug - Naacal). We felt this particular music important enough to shine the light and put under your ears for a second listen, but we are betting it may be the first time!

Download here: https://1krecordings.bandcamp.com/album/unxp-ep

Re:Entry introduces clangorous Norwegian church bells along with morning birds dissolving into a questioning guitar arpeggiation. The voices of the Hieroglyphic Choir, an almost monolithic-Ligeti touchstone, moves the listener into astounding orchestral drama before the exhilaration of UNXP. Time Fears the Pyramids is a magical eternity captured in amber—time, space and beauty.

MUSOS: There is spectacular drumming by Eric Slick throughout, a burning Theo Travis saxophone solo along way with Barry Meehan's crushing and chordal bass inventions. Tim Motzer's textural loops and reedy electric guitar melodies snake through this compelling journey. But all of that aside, it's the whole, that we're quite moved by. The compositions and orchestrations feel to be a complete statement, and stand on their own as a listening experience—a record within a record. We felt these sessions achieved something extraordinary that resonates.

Brian Boland’s insightful remastering of the two tracks gives another vantage point and perhaps a new way into this collection of music. We hope it will whet your appetite to seek out and listen to Goldbug - Naacal (1k034) in it’s entirety. We are grateful for the coming together of this amazing band of musicians and are thrilled that we can share this work with you.

Barry Meehan - bass, voice, guitar, microphone
Tim Motzer - guitars, piano, organ, electronics, field recordings, voice
Eric Slick - drums, percussion, contact mic, kaos pad
Theo Travis - saxophone
The Hieroglyphic Choir: Tim Motzer, Barry Meehan, Dejha Ti

Recorded by Tim Motzer, December 2010, & December 2011 at 1k Studios, Fishtown. Theo Travis recorded in London, England at Ether Studio. The church bell for Re:Entry was recorded in Kristiansand, Norway in 2011 by Tim Motzer.

Mixed between 2011-2013 by Tim Motzer. Assisted by Barry Meehan.

Re-mastered by Brian Boland at Intracoastal, St. Thomas, VI January 2023
Produced by Tim Motzer for 1k Recordings
Design by tilomo

Listen | Download Goldbug - Naacal (1k034) for the full story.
1krecordings.bandcamp.com/album/naacal  

HANDPAINTED RAPTURE CDs by TIM MOTZER

RAPTURE by Tim Motzer and Markus Reuter

The last remaining one-of-a-kind handpainted Rapture CDs by Tim Motzer & Markus Reuter are ready to ship to your door! Exquisite sights & sounds. My favorite ambient duo album with Markus. Each a unique one-of-a-kind handpainted covers (5in x 10in) acrylic on white gatefold cardboard with white CD, 1 (4in x 4in) art card with download, original album artwork, track listing, and album credits—all enclosed in a resealable plastic sleeve. Painted, signed & numbered by TM of 15.

Purchase here: https://1krecordings.bandcamp.com/album/rapture

"Unbiddable, ungovernable - like a riot in the heart, and nothing to be done, come ruin or rapture."

Tim Motzer: acoustic-electric guitar, electronics
Markus Reuter: AU8 touch guitar, electronics, laptop

Eternal thanks for your support! 

1K RECORDINGS
is an eclectic Philadelphia-based boutique label run by guitarist, composer, and producer Tim Motzer. The catalogue features genre-defying solo releases and adventurous collaborations, spanning ambient soundscapes to progressive to electronic to art pop and beyond.

1k catalogue: https://1krecordings.bandcamp.com/music
1k art + merch:
 https://1krecordings.bandcamp.com/merch

"A catalog of music that is as unique as it is unpredictable."
- WXPN, The Key

Celebrating 24 years

RADIO/MUSIC JOURNALISTS: CONTACT: [email protected]  

Copyright © 2023 1k recordings, All rights reserved.
you are recieving this mail as you opted in either to the 1k sessions site or 1k recordings website.

Our mailing address is:

1k recordings

crease street

Philadelphia, PA 19125 

Edited by snobb - 15 Feb 2023 at 2:25am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic