JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music News, Press Releases
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Vocalist Mary Foster Conklin's THESE PRECIOUS DAYS
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Vocalist Mary Foster Conklin's THESE PRECIOUS DAYS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vocalist Mary Foster Conklin's THESE PRECIOUS DAYS
    Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 10:32pm

VOCALIST MARY FOSTER CONKLIN SOULFULLY PAYS TRIBUTE

TO LOVE AND LOSS ON HER ECLECTIC

THESE PRECIOUS DAYS

Releases February 24, 2023 on Mock Turtle Music

"What a special group of songs – and you have always been special. I am honored to have my songs sung by you and included in this album...I have to tell you that your performance of “A Little White Ship” is, for me, one of the most interesting and beautiful readings I’ve ever heard. I love it."Mike Stoller

THESE PRECIOUS DAYS is the latest album by New York-based jazz vocalist and radio host MARY FOSTER CONKLIN. The project features mostly women writers in a savory mix of lesser-known jazz and pop tunes, all beautifully rendered by Conklin’s distinctive contralto voice and affective delivery.

THESE PRECIOUS DAYS is her fifth album and follows Crazy Eyes (1998), You’d Be Paradise (2001), Blues for Breakfast (2006), and Photographs (2016). Cadence Magazine said, “As someone who values freshness over music that appears regularly in everyone’s repertoire, Conklin brings to life seldom heard or forgotten songs with meaningful lyrics…Conklin’s versatility, not to mention her eclectic choices, proves she’s her own person, her possible influences being but a component of her totality.” 

Conklin has been playing music that celebrates women composers and lyricists on her radio show, called “A Broad Spectrum – the Ladies of Jazz,” since 2016. The program streams online every Sunday on WFDU.FM’s HD2 channel at http://www.wfdu.fm, which is broadcast from Farleigh Dickinson University in New Jersey. She has long been interested in championing women artists, so when the opportunity arose to host her own radio show after the release of Photographs, she jumped at the chance.

The album features top New York musicians, including pianist JOHN DI MARTINO, who wrote all the arrangements, violinist SARA CASWELL, bassist ED HOWARD, drummer VINCE CHERICO, guitarist GUILHERME MONTEIRO, and percussionist SAMUEL TORRES. Like her radio program, THESE PRECIOUS DAYS focuses mostly on women composers and lyricists, but also includes several choice songs by writers whose lyrics reflect the disruption and loss of the past few years.

The seed for THESE PRECIOUS DAYS was planted on a gig she did at Pangea, an intimate East Village club in March 2020. The show featured Conklin on vocals, Di Martino on piano, and, along with her rhythm section, Caswell on violin. The music was centered around neo-cabaret "art songs" written by Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller, whose legendary rock and roll hits overshadowed a unique catalogue of material first recorded by Peggy Lee on the 1975 cult classic Mirrors.

Unfortunately, that show was their last live performance before the Covid lockdown, but it did give Conklin the time to collect new material while in isolation. In January 2021 she was invited to submit a video performance of “Some Cats Know” as part of the Peggy Lee centennial for the Mabel Mercer Foundation with Di Martino and Caswell, and later that year the trio presented a full set at the Soapbox Gallery in Brooklyn. When Conklin, Di Martino and Caswell went into the studio the following January, they added additional instrumentation for some extra seasoning, and so were joined by her regular rhythm section of Ed Howard and Vince Cherico.

The album opens with “Summertime,” but not the more famous Gershwin song of the same name. This tune was written by Leonard Cohen and Sharon Robinson, a frequent writing collaborator with Cohen. The song’s restless lyrics, like “And I want to drive forever / Wanna roll my windows down / Get the breeze back on my body / Get my feet back on the ground” particularly resonated with Conklin after being sequestered in her Manhattan apartment for many months due to the shutdown.

“Some Cats Know” is a smart, sexy song by Leiber and Stoller from Mirrors which Conklin first performed at Pangea. The Brill Building songwriting team of Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil wrote “Just a Little Lovin,” which appealed to Conklin for its message about the importance of the simple things in life. “Come in From the Rain” is by Melissa Manchester and Carole Bayer Sager, two of the most successful female writers on the pop scene.

Conklin has a special affinity for Beat poet Fran Landesman, having recorded several of her songs on her previous album. “Scars” was composed by Simon Wallace, and Conklin prefaces the song with a Landesman poem The Past Is A Foreign Country. “Just for Now,” was written by Dory Previn and her then-husband, André Previn, set to a samba tempo. “A Little White Ship” is another Leiber/Stoller song from Mirrors which was inspired by Tennessee Williams’ most dreamlike play, Camino Real.

The songs of loss include “Heart's Desire” by Alan Broadbent and the late Dave Frishberg, whom Conklin knew personally. “Rainbow” is an obscure number by Melba Liston and Abbey Lincoln, which Conklin was drawn to by its simple promise of hope. Conklin closes the album with Buffy Sainte-Marie’s “Until It's Time for You to Go” and “September Song” by Kurt Weill and Maxwell Anderson, in memory of her father who died in 2018.

About Mary Foster Conklin

Conklin is a New Jersey native who came to New York to pursue theatre. Her transformation from actor to jazz singer began when she joined Art Lillard’s 15-piece Heavenly Band in 1994 and has appeared on two of his recordings. Praised as “a sensitive artist (but not frail) with a wide-ranging boldly colored voice and an open ear for off-beat material” (Washington Post), she is a master storyteller with a talent for uncovering obscure songs deserving attention. Her performances are a mix of contemporary material and standards, with an emphasis on women writers. She has performed at most of the major jazz venues in New York and on the West Coast. Her debut CD, Crazy Eyes, was listed as one of the ten best CDs of 1998 by In Theatre Magazine. Her second recording, You’d Be Paradise, was released in September 2001 to critical acclaim and worldwide airplay. Blues For Breakfast - Remembering Matt Dennis (Rhombus Records) became an award winning third CD, hailed by the press as “an overdue reminder of the honored place of Matt Dennis in American music” (Jazz Society of Oregon). Her fourth CD, Photographs, released in 2016, was a memory piece with tunes by Oscar Brown, Jr., Benny Carter, Lennon and McCartney, Johnny Mandel and Joni Mitchell, with five tunes by Beat poet Fran Landesman.

# # #

THESE PRECIOUS DAYS will be released on February 24, 2023 on Mock Turtle Music and will be available everywhere.

Online: 

Maryfosterconklin.com

Facebook.com/maryfosterconklinmusic

@mfconklin (IG)

@A_BroadSpectrum (Twitter)

"A Broad Spectrum” on WFDU: www.wfdu.fm

Edited by snobb - 13 Feb 2023 at 10:34pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic