JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Report errors & omissions here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Style / genre corrections

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mssr_Renard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 12:49pm
My guess is that this not souljazz but hardbop:
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/album/yusef-lateef/gong(compilation)

I'm playing it now, it is a twofer compiling Sounds of Nature and Prayer to the East. The recordings are from from 1957/1958
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 5:07pm
Both of the albums are more or less hard bop with typical Yusef type eclectic extras, so the comp is hard bop too.
Mssr_Renard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mssr_Renard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 11:23pm
Thank you. Yusef is almosta genre by itself. As is Roland Rahsaan Kirk. But hardbop is the best thing of course.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mssr_Renard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 11:41pm
Is it a lot of trouble to chsnge the genre of all Yusef's albums up to 2966 to Hard Bop? Is it even possible that Post Bop existed pre-1966?
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 7:25am
^ Yusef is next on my list for a total overhaul, just be patient, got a few other things to do.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mssr_Renard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 12:22pm
No problem. Thank you. In the meantime I have some twofers to add to the database.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by Mssr_Renard Mssr_Renard wrote:

No problem. Thank you. In the meantime I have some twofers to add to the database.
Cool, Snobb can help you with that.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mssr_Renard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 1:18pm
By mistake I added a twofer in the albumsection. But I can't edit it.

Also I saw that Gong is mistakenly from 1957 but should be from 1978.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 2:11pm
Give me a link to the album and I will fix it.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mssr_Renard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 11:42pm
I see you already fixed it. Thsnk you.
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 11:59pm
Thumbs Up
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mssr_Renard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 2:36am
I am listening to Roy Brooks' Understanding-album and it is tagged as hardbop.

My best guess is freejazz, avant jazz or postbop.
The Bandcamp-page tags it as freejazz:

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 7:22am
Originally posted by Mssr_Renard Mssr_Renard wrote:

I am listening to Roy Brooks' Understanding-album and it is tagged as hardbop.

My best guess is freejazz, avant jazz or postbop.
The Bandcamp-page tags it as freejazz:

That is very wild and aggressive hard bop, post bop would be an okay tag too. Its not true 'free jazz' or avant-garde jazz because the music has chord changes and tonal centers and a steady tempo. We are keeping it as hard bop.

Edited by js - 02 Feb 2023 at 7:22am
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mssr_Renard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 8:05am
Okay, we'll keep it that way. I was just thown of, because of the tag the label uses on Bandcamp
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2023 at 3:22pm
I'm moving Oceanic Suites to Post Bop, Its about half post bop and half fusion with a good dose of African fusion too. Those three different tags would all be good for this album, but post bop is probably the best.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mssr_Renard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2023 at 12:21am
Okay, thank you. It sure is an eclectic album.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mssr_Renard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2023 at 7:27am
Both of Makaya McCraven's latest albums are tagged as electronic/hip hop but they're not.

Deciphering the message is Hard Bop but in a modern styling. They use old samples with newly recorded instruments. My guess is acid jazz or nu jazz.

In These Times is his latest albums wich is probably something like nu jazz or modern fusion. They're are al kinds of genres included from rock to jazz, to fusion to acid jazz to spacerock. So some kind of eclectic fusion -tag will suffice, i Guess.

What do you guys think?

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2023 at 7:52am
^ Thanks, we will check them out. Off to the grocery store right now.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2023 at 9:57am
Both moved to Nu Jazz. Eclectic Fusion is for stuff thats more gnarly and intense, avant-garde fusion, punky stuff, etc.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mssr_Renard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2023 at 10:32am
Nu Jazz is just fine. Review will follow probably. Thank you.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic