Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Debut album from PAKT

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Debut album from PAKT
    Posted: 21 Aug 2021 at 5:03pm

PERCY JONES: fretless bass guitar 
ALEX SKOLNICK: guitars
KENNY GROHOWSKI: drums
TIM MOTZER: guitars,  electronics

Liner notes by Mark Sullivan (contributor to All About Jazz) 

It was the Plague Year, and musicians denied the ability to tour and play in front of a live audience quickly began to pivot to virtual concerts. As early as April performances from musician’s homes started (including one large series that was titled Live From Our Living Rooms). By August some conventional performance venues had gotten into the act, including the Village Vanguard and Smalls Jazz Club in New York City. But this ShapeShifter Lab concert felt like a real event: four experienced improvisers getting together in a room to create music spontaneously, just like in the Before Times. The players were masked and socially distanced, as the current public health guidelines demanded. There was only the most minimal live audience: just a few staff to open the venue and film the event. 

But there was plenty of electricity, running through the instruments and between the musicians. Odd to play six feet apart and masked, certainly, but not enough to dampen the joy of playing live music together for the first time in months. They played two sets, each about 50 minutes long, and the album version presents the music with very little editing. The first set began with gentle interweaving guitars (Alex Skolnick on electric, Tim Motzer on acoustic-electric) joined initially by Percy Jones’ fretless bass and cymbal washes from drummer Kenny Grohowski. 

Before long they locked into a groove and Skolnick took his first solo, a keening melodic excursion. As the set went on there was also space for an abstract soundscape with sampled news voices, scraping guitar noises, and Motzer's bowed guitar; a big Skolnick solo with overdrive and harmonizer (and his trademark speed); and Motzer's solid-body guitar solo (switching from the acoustic-electric he favored most of the time) with wild whammy effects. Above all else there was a great sense of flow, which included dynamic contrast. At full force this band is formidable, but they could whisper too. 

The second set added some new sonic wrinkles: Motzer’s rare acoustic guitar solo (he usually employs electronic processing, even when playing an acoustic-electric instrument), as well as a bit of slide; Jones got a couple of striking solo spots; at one point Grohowski played his drum kit with his hands; and Skolnick contributed both looping and full-on guitar hero solos. It was an altogether fearless, rich night of music making, with all of the magic fully evident in this live document. 

PAKT is made up of fretless bass guitarist Percy Jones, guitarists Alex Skolnick and Tim Motzer, and drummer Kenny Grohowski. They are all very experienced players. Skolnick is best known as the lead guitarist in the thrash metal band Testament; he went on to freelance work, playing jazz with his Alex Skolnick Trio, and experimenting with World Music. Motzer has a long background in free improvisation as well, including the bands Bandit65 (with fellow guitarist Kurt Rosenwinkel) and Orion Tango, plus many other recorded collaborations for his 1k Recordings label. Welsh bassist Jones (long time a New York resident) is known for his tenure in the jazz fusion group Brand X, collaborations with Suzanne Vega, as well as extensive studio work (especially with Brian Eno). Grohowski's recent associations include Imperial Triumphant, John Zorn, Brand X, Felix Pastorius & the Hipster Assassins. 

"PAKT recalls the fearless attitude and daring approach that originally defined progressive music: where the magic of the moment always triumphed over preconception. Templates be damned ... this music blazes its own path! This is truly exquisite fare, serving as a reminder to aficionados of what initially drew them to this most creative, visionary of genres." 

PAKT - Live in Pawling (digital album only)
pakt-moonjune.bandcamp.com/album/pakt-live-in-pawling

Edited by snobb - 27 Oct 2022 at 9:03am
Sandoval View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandoval Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2022 at 12:28am
Wow, this is very cool! I do not know what about you guys, but I love when artists interact closely with the public. This makes you enjoy their music even more. I love rock music, and my favourite band is Kiss. So I remember they were selling personalized guitar picks when I was smaller. I wanted to get one so badly but didn't have the opportunity. So recently, I was scrolling the internet and found those customized guitar picks. As you can imagine, I did let this opportunity slip. This refreshed all my memories about rock music.

Edited by Sandoval - 01 Nov 2022 at 3:02am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic