JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A Jazz Lemming :-D

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemming n°314 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Jazz Lemming :-D
    Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 6:40pm
Hello,

I registered to the forum to reply a topic about my own group/duet, but Jazz has always been my main influence, and what I listen the most.

Discovering Santana when I was a teenager, and being interested in his early '70s period, and collaborations with John McLaughlin, that made me discover The Mahavishnu Orchestra, Miles Davis, and all the great bands from the '70s, and then exploring it in all directions, up & down.

But I was not born in this great period, aha :-) I'm coming from the '80s.

A big list of my favorite "jazz" musicians :

Billy Cobham ; John McLaughlin ; Carlos Santana ; Chick Corea ; Herbie Hancock ; Joe Zawinul ; Stanley Clarke ; Steve Khan ; Chris Potter ; Dave Holland ; Lenny White ; John Scofield ; Larry Coryell ; Alphonse Mouzon ; The Brecker Brothers ; Wayne Shorter ; Jean-Luc Ponty ; Michal Urbaniak ; George Duke ; Jan Hammer ; Joe Farrell ; Ron Carter ; Steve Smith ; Dean Brown ; Michel Camilo ; Aziza Mustafa Zadeh ; Alphonso Johnson ; Harvey Mason ; Hubert Laws ; Hermeto Paschoal ; Airto Moreira ; Flora Purim ; Milton Nascimento ; Elvin Jones ; Hiromi Uehara ; Jack DeJohnette ; The Mahavishnu Project ; Gene Perla ; Don Alias ; Stone Alliance ; Steve Grossman ; Philip Catherine ; Miles Davis ; Al Di Meola ; Steve Marcus ; Alice Coltrane ; Idris Muhammad ; Pat Metheny ; Randy Weston ; Anthony Jackson ...

Of course, a lot of jazz-fusion / jazz-rock in it, but I'm not limited to that.

I will certainly hang from time to time around there ;-)

Ah, and should I add it, I'm a drummer/percussionist.

Edited by Lemming n°314 - 06 Feb 2021 at 6:41pm
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 7:16pm
Hi Philippe and welcome to the site. Yes, fusion and free jazz are what got me interested first, these days I listen to a lot of current jazz as well as anything from now back to the 1920s. Several of the artists you listed are also longtime favorites of mine.
We'll be adding your band soon.

Edited by js - 06 Feb 2021 at 7:48pm
Lemming n°314 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemming n°314 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

Hi Phillippe and welcome to the site. Yes, fusion and free jazz are what got me interested first, these days I listen to a lot of current jazz as well as anything from now back to the 1920s. Several of the artists you listed are also longtime favorites of mine.
We'll be adding your band soon.

Nice to meet you ;-)

I've been introduced since a long time to some of the 1920s jazz music having a father playing in a dixieland/new orleans jazz band, but it's not my usual listening.

About adding our band, I'm not sure about what it means ? But I've seen we have already a page on your website : http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/artist/lemmings-suicide-myth/ , perhaps I'm missing something ? Anyway, some corrections could be added (the 2016 "Don't Try" release is here listed as 2018).

Edited by Lemming n°314 - 06 Feb 2021 at 7:53pm
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 8:05pm
I see, someone just suggested you as a band to add, but I see your already here. Thats good. As far as the 20s go, I'm not too fond of Dixieland either, especially the later revival stuff. I was referring to Fletcher Henderson and early Ellington and a few other arrangers.

We'll get the mistakes fixed.

Edited by js - 06 Feb 2021 at 8:05pm
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2021 at 4:53am
and - "Don't Try"'s the year of release is corrected Smile
Lemming n°314 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemming n°314 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2021 at 2:29pm
Great, thank you for your work ;-)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic