Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >Get The Word Out
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Blogging my novel, "Greatest Hits"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chicapah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blogging my novel, "Greatest Hits"
    Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 2:30pm
I'm new to this "blogging" stuff but figured it was a way to get a book I've been sitting on for decades out into the public realm.  Here's the synopsis:

The story centers on the lives of Gabriel Brewer and Joshua Kelly, two creative souls who meet up in the early 1970s and form a musical partnership called “Josh & Gabe.”  Josh is a seasoned singer/songwriter who’s been trying to find his place in the music business for years while Gabe is a poetic drifter who’s never performed professionally.  But the unique combination of their talents results in them eventually climbing to the apex of the industry.  Their personalities and their backgrounds couldn’t be more different.  At first Josh is a frustrated loner driven to succeed while Gabe is a free spirit looking to find peace in his life but after they achieve fame and fortune they unexpectedly switch places and adopt the other’s point of view.

“Greatest Hits” offers an inside look at how difficult it was to survive and prevail in the music business during the seventies decade when a handful of record company executives controlled the entire industry.  The tale primarily focuses on how musicians who harbored dreams of expressing themselves through their aural art had to constantly deal with the pressures their careers put on their love relationships and the complications that inevitably arose in their associations with moguls, managers and other musicians.

I plan to serialize the chapters at the rate of about 1 or 2 chapters per week so as not to overwhelm the reader with page after page of writing.  I've just finished recording an album of original songs with my songwriting partner John Davis entitled "Two Old Friends" that will soon be available on Amazon and ITunes.  Many of the songs coincide with the ones mentioned in the novel so you might be interested in checking the record out at some point.  Unfortunately, none of the compositions could fairly be labeled as jazz but some have jazzy tints to them that you might find enjoyable.  It is a mix of many different genres from rock to C&W to Americana to gospel.  What I can assure you of is that it is of the highest quality.

Check the novel out at:

http://rollieanderson.wordpress.com/2013/04/05/greatest-hits-prologue-and-chapter-1/

Thanks to all my jazzer friends,
Rollie

P.S.  Let me know if you have trouble accessing the blog.  I'll post an update when the album is listed on the aforementioned sites.
Make a joyful noise unto the Lord...
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 7:17pm
Sounds awesome!
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2013 at 2:35pm
Sounds good Rollie, I'll check it out.
Chicapah View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chicapah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2013 at 2:25pm
I now have 5 chapters posted.  Found a blog site that's easier to read so you can catch up at:

http://rollieanderson.wordpress.com/2013/04/08/greatest-hits-chapter-4/

You can easily go back or forward at the bottom to the chapters you've missed.  Hope you enjoy it.

FYI - The album of original songs is now available to hear at reverbnation.  Just search for Davis - Anderson.  We will have our own website soon.
Chicapah View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chicapah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2013 at 9:40am
Up to 13 chapters now.  Just sayin'...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic