JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

what's this melody ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roxtone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what's this melody ?
    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 5:32am
hello all !
Is anyone able to tell the melody of this 1969 Duke Reid produced Treasure Isle instrumental please ?

this is a reggae version of a jazz classic i thought ...

thanks ia for any reply !

R o x

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 9:04am
What a wonderful track, this comes from a great era in Jamaican music. 
I don't recognize it and personally I would guess that it is an original, although I may be wrong.

I moved this to Artist Appreciation.

Edited by js - 14 Oct 2019 at 9:05am
Roxtone View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roxtone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 9:36am
Cool, thanks so far !

i do definitely recognize it somehow, may as well be from a tv series,
but was actually more thinking in the direction of bebop or thereabout.
some Erskine Butterfield, Monk, Gillespie maybe ??

hope more people will chime in !

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 10:09am
Is there any way of getting the title of the track?
Roxtone View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roxtone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 9:50pm
Haha, no, Sir ! 
that's now exactly the reason im inquiring about its melody.

A long story short; Jamaican 7" pre-releases come as blancos usually, 
with when you're very lucky, credits handwritten on em, and from abundant to EXTREMELY rare.
This one falls in the latter category with thus far only ONE copy known to the community.
Its other side IS clear however: Alton Ellis - Personality, which practically always comes with another Ellis vocal: Diana.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 8:27am
Are you saying you have the only recording of this?
Roxtone View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roxtone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 9:01am
Nope, not my property, it's for Jamaican issues not unusual to have only a handful pressed ...
and then we're not even talking about so called specials or dubplates with diff mixes for dj's (thin vinyl layer on metal plates), of which usually only one or two are made, and with short lifespan. 

I'm a rocksteady/reggae researcher/databaser '66-'79, 
and am only in it for the know, or it must be Lee Perry produce, my specialty, 
and of which i own let's say uhh plenty HAHA, and certainly a few one-off's ...

i scoure every corner of the internet, eBay, shops, fora, etc to get precious info, before it all disappears in the mist of time and get my database healthy and kosher ;) 
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 9:35am
All of that sounds amazing, I really love that era and sound. 
I would imagine some of these one off singles are worth a fortune.
Roxtone View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roxtone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 9:57am
Whom you hear here is Tommy McCook, bandleader, arranger and saxophonist of Duke Reid's Supersonics, there's plenty of info and music to be had of his genre and band, and also an enormous body of work for other producers, he was incredibly prolific, just like many more Jamaican musicians actually, like Ranny Williams (guitarist) for instance.

Maximum prices on auctions can rarely go up to several thousands but the target (reggae) audience is small compared to more contemporary styles for which MUCH higher prices are paid but by far not that rare !
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 3:28pm
Yes, I am familiar with Tommy McCook. I hear his work on many albums I own.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic