Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Books and Miscellaneous Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Afro Cuban

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Afro Cuban
    Posted: 15 Apr 2011 at 8:06pm
Starts pre- Columbus to 1952 The whole 650 pages of it. Covers the lot from slavery to Batista's government. Even pre slavery with the indigenous. Has just got to Beny More's beginings.  Finishes there. Explains the lot from the clave and it's root of all Afro- Cuban. Even crosses to New Orleans, Africa and Spain of course. Describes it all rumba, son, cha cha,mambo, danzon etc.  Santeria and the Orishas are Covered (Cuban Gods). Even the bloody banks. You get the lot.  Tough reading though for me. Not enough action or mystery Wink I am not the best for this high flatunin' stuff. Love a Harold Robbins, Tom Clancy, Stephen King. Yep give me that PULP Big smile Jokes aside, this is how I know half of my stuff on Latin music Cool
 Recommended very highly, not an easy read but you must trudge on.

Matt
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2011 at 8:20pm
i know little about afro-cuban music, just one of Dizzy's albums. Always looking for new music.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2011 at 8:51pm
Thanks Matt, you know I'm a big fan. 
A lot of the Afro-Cuban music I own is on cassettes I recorded off of the radio when I lived in San Francisco.
Atavachron View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 9:14pm
 ^ KJAZ/KCSM Sunday show ?

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 9:19pm
I think it was more shows on KPOO and KPFA. 
Atavachron View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 9:21pm
that's right, they had Latin shows too
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 9:25pm
I used to go to Salsa Sundays in the afternoon at the El Rio on Mission Street. Excellent bands on a large outdoor patio with Margarita specials and excellent weather, etc.
There's nothing like that here.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 9:26pm
Did they have thye book in a show ?
Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 9:33pm
say what
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2011 at 12:48am
Originally posted by js js wrote:

say what
Was the book recently in a radio or TV show, with all those acronyms used above John?  Confused to say the least Big smile
Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2011 at 1:07pm
No, those are the radio stations in San Francisco that played Latin Jazz shows that I recorded on cassette back in the 80s and 90s.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic