JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Acid Jazz vs Nu Jazz

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which do you generally prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [42.86%]
4 [57.14%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Acid Jazz vs Nu Jazz
    Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 8:26pm
Two modern jazz styles that appeared during the last two decades of the previous century. In some ways, these two styles continue the dichotomy of the hot and cool in jazz. Acid jazz is upbeat, funky music and is usually the "hotter" of the two. Nu jazz is generally more "cool" and sometimes more somber, although not all nu jazz is of a somber nature.

Certainly there are good and bad artists in either genre, but generally speaking, which do you prefer?
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2013 at 8:50am
I approve of the explanation mentioned above and do not have an objection. As a result, I went to Acid Jazz.

Such a music was popular in the 90s in particular since Acid Jazz just attracted attention in Japan. I explained it when Acid Jazz was popular in Japan because it was derived from the British club, and jazz fused in upbeat when the commentator was the jazz which could dance it as a definition.

However, people hold a home party in old days, and I know that people dance it in total and enjoyed it for the performance of the jazz band there. I think that the people have already danced with pure jazz. Big smile
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2013 at 10:28am
In Acid Jazz I have only one favourite-St Germain, while in Nu Jazz  I have several so I voted for Nu Jazz
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2013 at 11:33am
I have a good idea of acid-jazz, but nu-jazz is more nebulous a concept to me...

Can anyone give a few names or samples??
Not of something that would be the extreme top (but why not??) but something that is representative or run-of-the-mill... 

Edited by Sean Trane - 23 Jan 2013 at 11:34am
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2013 at 11:35am
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2013 at 11:40am
Acid jazz came fast and gone soon, small explosion but not enough content for future development

Nu jazz never was so popular or known, and in fact never was so explored. Still trying to find new (nu?) ways

Voted for nu Approve
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2013 at 12:32pm
I guess nu-jazz, as I agree with snobb that it's a more exploratory genre, whereas with Acid Jazz, I just think of early-mid 90s hip hop beats mixed with jazzy chords and such. I'm no expert on either, but Nu-Jazz has many more possibilities.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2013 at 8:44am
Originally posted by snobb snobb wrote:

^

Wink
Hey Slava,

I have indeed taken a look at that pageWink, but find whatever on it still  rather confusingConfused...

To me, Jaga Jazzist is generally pigeonholed as acid-jazz (though not highly representative of the current's soundscapes), and among the three videos available on the JMA page, the two Triangulization samples sound very acid-jazz to me
While the third (Sheckel) vid sounds like RIO-Metal-jazz

As for the soundbites proposed, some sound "post-rocky" (Schaefer), other sound 60's jazz, etc... Only Portico Quartet rang a bell from these samples...

So if acid-jazz has a distinct sonic realm (at least from what I know/heard of it)...

The nu-jazz samples proposed still escapes a typical soundscape... it's musically all over the place (few common denominators or musical grounds between these samples), as the site description says, and seems more of a journalist invention based on geographics than a real musical movement per se

Soooo, if one "genre" englobes the other (in whole or only partially), it's logical that it bears more possibilities, but then I fail to see the point... outside raising a good conversation...

Edited by Sean Trane - 24 Jan 2013 at 8:47am
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2013 at 3:15am
I don't know either well enought to really comment on either but I'll go with nu-jazz from the limited amount of things I know.
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 1:50pm
 I thought Jaga Jazzist was nu-jazz??? They're one of the more familiar bands to me within that sub-genre.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 1:59pm
They are.
pinknote View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinknote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 2:17pm
On one of the forums I come from, nu-jazz is a wide term (from St. Germain to... Medeski, Martin and Wood) and acid jazz is only used for Jamiroquai, Brand New Heavies and some other related stuff.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2013 at 8:47am
Originally posted by pinknote pinknote wrote:

On one of the forums I come from, nu-jazz is a wide term (from St. Germain to... Medeski, Martin and Wood) and acid jazz is only used for Jamiroquai, Brand New Heavies and some other related stuff.

Which goes to show that genre pigeonholing is anything but an exact science...

Anywhere in Western Continental Europe; St-Germain expamplifies/epitomizes acid-jazz... If you ask most people, they will say they (StG) invented acid-jazz  (and they owe everything to Marc  Moulin >> see Maessage in 92, Shockedwhich is not in our DB)

EDIT: addedBig smileWink

Edited by Sean Trane - 05 Feb 2013 at 8:51am

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic