JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Most favorite 60's/70's keyboardist

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Who is your most favorite keyboardist?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [16.67%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [50.00%]
1 [16.67%]
1 [16.67%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Most favorite 60's/70's keyboardist
    Posted: 27 Nov 2012 at 3:31pm
Who is your favorite and why? I provided the "Other" option so that people wouldn't feel blue about not being able to vote for a person who is not on the list.

I'm not quite sure who is my favorite here. Probably Zawinul. He had an awesome array of keyboards with nice timbres back in the day. Plus, he had quite a taste for African music.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - 27 Nov 2012 at 6:32pm
“… Miles often looked back but he always moved forwards. … Because the only thing you've got is your creative basis, your memory.” – Ian Carr (Miles Davis’ biographer).
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2012 at 3:50pm
Voted for Herbie, he's probably most experimenting keyboards player from the list - his playing influenced development of all progressive jazz of that time. Next in line - Chick Corea, his before-RTF works (mostly with Circle) are very innovative, RTF is a fusion classic. Never liked Zawinul too much, first two-three Weather Report albums are excellent, but later and especially his solo works are quite boring. I like few Larry Young albums (and collaborations - with Tony Williams,etc), but many of them are not too attractive for me.
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2012 at 4:56pm
I like all those guys (even 'other') and I'd have to vote for HH too, he's one of my all time favourite jazz musicians so it's an easy choice. I'd probably vote in Chick second, then not sure how it'd pan out Smile
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2012 at 6:27pm

It may be Herbie Hancock if I consider it as an item of the keyboardists. Chick Corea was a splendid musician, but, as for me, performances of Chick Corea were always it in impressions of Rhodes piano for me.

The great keyboardist did many splendid performances in the 70s. As for what was able to recognize it immediately, Jan Hammer might be similar. I was able to recognize that his sound was the sound that he played immediately. And, as for me, even David Sancious is a favorite musician personally.

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2012 at 6:51pm
Herbie is one of my favorite musicians in any genre, but I thought I would go with Larry Young this time. I love the way he started to use the drawbars on the B3 as a sort of effects pad.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2012 at 2:57am
I'll definitely vote for McCoy Tyner, whose 70'sJR/F discography is even more impressive (in terms of quality) tjhan any of those mentionned

(no mention either of Jan Hammer, whether in MO, Jeremy Steig, solo career or Jeff Beck Group??)Cry
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2012 at 3:04am
For those who love early 70's JR/F and want to investigate McCoy Tyner, try Sahara, Song For My Lady, Extensions (with the National Geographic artwork), Assante, Song For The New World, Echoes Of A Friend, and Inner Voixes...

All/most of these album are mislabelled (IMHO, anyway) as Post Bop in our database, when classic fusion would be a better fit for most

Edited by Sean Trane - 28 Nov 2012 at 3:05am
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic