0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: To B3 or not 2 B3
    Posted: 11 Oct 2012 at 5:00pm
When I first started getting into jazz B3 players, some older jazz musicians informed me that many of them didn't consider the B3 to be a legitimate jazz instrument; too easy to play, too cheezy sounding, too electronic etc. Many years later and now the B3 is well accepted and has its own classic style of jazz too.
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2012 at 7:52pm
Hahaha, good title!!

I'll give it to Larry Young, if just for his surreal playing on Love, Devotion, Surrender album.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2012 at 8:21pm
As a result, I go to Jimmy Smith if I choose it among a list. After all I think that it is certain that he is representative of the organist. I like the performance of Larry Goldings personally, too.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2012 at 8:23pm
Oh. By the way, there is such a Japanese, too.

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2012 at 3:08am
Originally posted by Abraxas Abraxas wrote:

Hahaha, good title!!

I'll give it to Larry Young, if just for his surreal playing on Love, Devotion, Surrender album.
Since Larry has got one vote, I'll go for Dr Lonnie Smith

Never really thought of organ (beit the legendary Hammond B3) as a typical jazz instrument, though.

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2012 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by Abraxas Abraxas wrote:

Hahaha, good title!!

Since Larry has got one vote, I'll go for Dr Lonnie Smith

Never really thought of organ (beit the legendary Hammond B3) as a typical jazz instrument, though.

It's interesting that in jazz there are organ players and piano players, that almost exclusively play those. I mean it's not like in rock that you can hear a keyboard player vary the sound from piano to organ to synth to mellotron to wicked sounds back to piano. (not that that makes them a better player)

Of course, since the 70s most jazz piano players have touched at least a Rhodes and probably a synth too, but you really don't hear them on organ. And viceversa for the organ players. 
I'd really find interesting to hear chaps like Larry Young have a hidden piano release.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2012 at 12:32pm
Of the people listed up there, John Medeski is probably the only multi-keyboardist.
Joey DeFrancesco will include the occasional piano song on his albums.

Edited by js - 12 Oct 2012 at 12:33pm
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2012 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

Of the people listed up there, John Medeski is probably the only multi-keyboardist.
Joey DeFrancesco will include the occasional piano song on his albums.

Yeah, you're right. Medeski is a retro-freak! Love his keyboard set, with clavinet, rhodes, hammond, everything is gold in there.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic