JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Jeff Beck Thread

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Jeff Beck Thread
    Posted: 05 Oct 2012 at 11:22am
I randomly threw on "Wired" the other day, and now I've been obsessed with Jeff Beck (and by extension, Jan Hammer). I used to be a big Jeff Beck fan, but over the years I got tired of it because I had the same 5 or 6 albums, and never cared to get more albums of his. It's been a while, but his albums sound fresh again, I am of course talking about his mid/late 70s and early 80s work, though I've heard other stuff. I heard Emotion and Commotion from 2010, but never picked it up.

Here's my album ranking:

Wired
Blow By Blow
Oh Yeah! (Jan Hammer Group)
Live With the Jan Hammer Group
There and Back
Who Else
Guitar Shop

I know Jeff isn't on "Oh Yeah! but you all know why I listed it.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2012 at 11:32am
Jeff Beck is one of my very favorite rock/RnB guitarists, and his excursions into fusion are excellent. I used to listen to all those 70s albums. I like his later albums too with beat boxes, hip-hop etc. Very expressive guitarist, no cliches.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2012 at 2:01pm
Jeff Beck is not on Oh Yeah! of course and I don't know why you listed it other than the Live album other than the Jan Hammer connection.   If I didn't guess correctly let me know.  Smile  By the way, if you like Oh Yeah!, you need to get the Hammer/Goodwin album Like Children.  I consider those two companion albums.  Very similar in style and recorded about the same time. 

I've got all of those and a few more: Jeff, You Had It Coming, Truth, and Emotion & Commotion.

If you're considering an addition, I'd highly recommend getting the Live At Ronnie Scott's DVD.  A huge set with tracks from throughout his solo career.  And you get to see the lovely Tal Wilkenfeld on bass.  I swear she plays like she is at one with the bass, amazing.  If you go for Emotion & Commotion be sure and get the version with the live DVD.  It has a short set of live music from the 2007 Crossroads Guitar Festival and more Tal,

Of the others I have not on your list, the last I'd recommend is Truth.  Just a bit quaint for my tastes, but still an OK album.  It has Rod Stewart on vocals, and Ron Wood on bass by the way, which may in and of itself make it interesting.  You Had It Coming and Jeff are fairly close in style to Who Else!, so if you like that one you'll probably like those.

I got on the bandwagon with Jeff with Blow By Blow, still love that one.

What I've always found interesting about Jeff is the amount of cover tracks he does.  He always puts a nice spin on them, but I still think I like his originals better.

Edited by Slartibartfast - 05 Oct 2012 at 2:03pm
Atavachron View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2012 at 10:32pm
huge Beck man here, was a big influence to me as a musician and seeing him live is even better, you just never know what that man will pull out of his ax--  saw him with SRV in '89 (I think), and before that with Page and Clapton for the Ronnie Lane shows in '82

Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

And you get to see the lovely Tal Wilkenfeld on bass.  I swear she plays like she is at one with the bass, amazing.  

there, there .. 
darkprinceofjazz View Drop Down
JMA Jazz Reviewer
JMA Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprinceofjazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 7:23pm
For what it's worth I always liked the solo he had on the Jon Bon Jovi single "Blaze of Glory" I might be mistaken, but I thought I read he didn't (Beck) use a pick?

Edited by darkprinceofjazz - 07 Nov 2013 at 7:26pm
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2013 at 9:41am
Rough and ready and the Orange album are actually my faves, along with Live with the JH group

I was always disappointed with BBA, since I expected so much from that vollab (I was a big Vanilla Fudge fan)

Wired is a bit too technical for my tastes (too much overduvbbing or double tracking), and BbB is marred by these oversweet George Martin string arrangement...

I kind of lost interest afterThere and Back, because his 80's albums were atrocious (at least the ones I heard)..; i know his recent albums with tal Wilkenfield on bass  are fairly good, but I didn't buythem.

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

chris s View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2013 at 4:23am
Roy's ToyApprove
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic