JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Jazz Gifts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlueNote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jazz Gifts
    Posted: 01 Oct 2012 at 7:01pm
Hi, I'd like to get a friend into jazz. I've already started with Kind of Blue and I think that a good next step might be Brubeck's Take Five and Balzar's Overnight. What do you think? Are these records accesible to non-jazz ears?

Feel free to use this thread to get recommendations and solve any problems you might have when giving jazz records to other people.

Thanks.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2012 at 7:11pm
"Kind of Blue" makes for a great first jazz record. Depending on your friend's background in music, I always thought Jimmy Smith Blue Note albums were pretty easy for people to pick up on.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2012 at 7:24pm
I think that KOB and Time Out are good entrances. As a personal opinion. I like Art Blakey and JM where Wayne Shorter joined. I noticed talent to have of Wayne Shorter by those albums.
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2012 at 8:43pm
Yep, Time Out and Kind of Blue are great entries for non-jazz fans. Time Out especially for those who are intigued with time signatures (prog fans cough cough), and Kind of Blue for simply beautiful chilled, perfect jazz.

Blue Train is also a good entry, in my opinion. It contrasts with Time Out and Kind of Blue, showing jazz as a more active and powerful music. It's good for those who label jazz as mere "elevator/bar music".

Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2012 at 9:01pm
I was brought up to listen to elevator music in childhood. I remember that there was always such a music in department store and supermarket in the 70s. Jazz is broadcasted in the convenience store which I often use. I choose the beer to spend night comfortably while always listening to jazz there. Smile
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2012 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by Kazuhiro Kazuhiro wrote:

I was brought up to listen to elevator music in childhood. I remember that there was always such a music in department store and supermarket in the 70s. Jazz is broadcasted in the convenience store which I often use. I choose the beer to spend night comfortably while always listening to jazz there. Smile

Thumbs Up Seems like good times.
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2012 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by Abraxas Abraxas wrote:

Originally posted by Kazuhiro Kazuhiro wrote:

Thumbs Up Seems like good times.

yeah! Smile

I'd also like to add a vote for KOB & Time Out, they were among my first jazz albums and I started as a rock & metal fan. Also, maybe, Head Hunters, that's accessible with its funk elements
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
BlueNote View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlueNote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2012 at 5:41am
Oh, thanks everyone!
Amilisom View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amilisom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2012 at 1:47am
It's always impressed me how Kind of Blue can be a masterpiece in both the ears of musicians and non-musicians.

I believe Bossa Nova can be just as assessible as cool jazz, so I'd recommend adding Stan Getz's "Jazz Samba" or Antonio Carlos Jobim's "Wave" to that list.   
"Pay no attention to what the critics say; there has never been a statue set up in honor of a critic."

-Jean Sibelius
BlueNote View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlueNote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2012 at 7:44am
And what about "But Beautiful" of Getz and Evans?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic