JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Soft Machine - Return to Forever

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which pair of albums do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
10 [76.92%]
3 [23.08%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Soft Machine - Return to Forever
    Posted: 01 Oct 2012 at 5:54pm
Listening to Bundles, I thought of who would people prefer, Al Di Meola or Holdsworth in these years.

True, in Softs there's Etheridge instead of Holdsworth. So just vote for the pair of fusion albums you're more akin to. RtF's is more inclined towards funk, although veers also to some classical and prog, while Soft's guitar-fusion always was a dilemma for me, not knowing where to put them, other than "Soft Machine fusion" haha.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2012 at 6:41pm
Mid to Late 70s fusion is not my favorite, I always preferred the late 60s-early 70s period, but "No Mystery" is a fun eclectic record as I recall, although I haven't listened to it in a while, so my vote will go to RTF. As far as the guitar players in those bands, I always liked Bill Connors short tenure in RTF.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2012 at 7:30pm

As a result, I went to Softs, but I did not like Softs where there was not Mike Ratledge very much. In any case because I am always a fan of Allan Holdsworth.

The RTF album is splendid, but I will like RTF of the time when there was Bill Connors.

Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2012 at 8:47pm
I'll go for Soft Machine. Even though clearly they began to sound more akin to Nucleus, where the keyboards are more laid back, it still is very enjoyable and well composed, especially Bundles. Softs has some killer stuff too. Even though I prefer the live versions of these tunes on British Tour 75.

I've never liked No Mystery, find it pretty mediocre attempt of funk tunes and some forgettable piano and fusion. Romantic Warrior has some top-notch music, but overall not a favorite. I always say this, Where Have I Known You Before, for me is RtF's best fusion record. Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy is pretty good, but I think the production makes it all pretty samey.
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2012 at 1:42am
Bundles and Softs are quite a good example how deep (English) rock musicians could dig towards jazz/fusion, and oppositely No Mystery and Romantic Warrior both are good example how far (American) jazz musicians can see rock as part of their music. 

All albums are not my farourites, RTF and Soft Machine do much better when play more organic music (for each of the band), probably RTF pair is still slightly better for me - as much as I like early (original) Soft Machine music,their mid 70s albums are usually technically skilled but quite faceless fuzzak ( Holdsworth gave them new blood but not new face when came to play)

Edited by snobb - 02 Oct 2012 at 2:25am
Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2012 at 2:51pm
Soft Machine for sure.
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2012 at 10:02pm
RTF for me.
bytor2112 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bytor2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 6:59pm
I'm going with the Softs.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic