JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Breakdown of Pat Metheny's discog

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Breakdown of Pat Metheny's discog
    Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 3:33am
About a week or two ago I posted this on PA:

"I know there was a thread in a similar vein recently, but that one seem to have been changed so I figured I'd create this.
PM has a fairly large discog and I'm interested in the more avant/out and energetic/rockin' side of it. (I suppose there may not be much but there seems to be alot to get through) I'm thinking something along the lines of the albums Song X, Zero Tolerance For Silence, or even the stuff he did with Bailey, Bendian, and Wertico (whose names unfortuately escape me at the moment). I've also recently got his Trio Live album which I haven't listened to in full yet, but the samples I've heard make it seem like it fits the bill.
Hopefully some of this makes sense.
Thanks for any responses. Smile"

which got exactly no responses. I think I phrased my question badly so I'm going to try again here:

What I was really trying to do was get some sort of breakdown of PM's albums. What the overall mood was of each, what was the predominating characteristics, etc etc, Obviously, I was looking for the more energetic/fast paced albums and/or the albums in the out/avant fields. So, I guess, if someone(s) could provide a brief outline of some/all of his albums it would be much appreciated.
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 4:37am
Mike (darkshade) is our resident Methany expert, he usually drops by about once a day, he'll probably help you out.
In the meantime, I'm pretty sure he tagged all of his albums, so you can check the various genre tags and get some ideas.

Some of his albums are Classic Fusion, I'm sure you already know what that is.
Some are Post Fusion Contemporary, thats a fairly mellow genre, but not as laid back as pop jazz or smooth jazz.
Some of his albums are Post Bop, thats just modern swing based jazz, Post Bop can be mellow, or as energetic and "outside" as fusion or AG.
He has a couple AG one's too, I'm sure you know what that is, and he also has some World Fusion records. 
That might give you a start on things.

Edited by js - 06 Aug 2012 at 4:42am
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 12:35pm
Mike is experiencing technical difficulties and can't get on the site, we are working on it.
Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2012 at 2:26am
Thanks for your reply! I'll get on o'er to the PM page on the main site and check some things out.
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2012 at 2:40am
This Metheny's album is kind of avant (or let say - free form solo improve) - for very specific taste only Confused

darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2012 at 11:49am
Pat has soooo many albums, under his name, under his "group" name (which is different), trios, collaborations, etc.

I have one album in mind that you may be interested in, Hat, it's called "Parallel Realities: Live". It's actually a Jack DeJohnette album, but the group is him, Metheny, Herbie Hancock, and Dave Holland. Might be right your your alley.

The Pat Metheny Group is mostly World Fusion, with the first 2 being classic fusion, one album being contemporary jazz, and their last album being proggy-jazz-fusion. Any of the albums that have a "(PMG)" in the title means it's the group, which is an actual band with a more-or-less constant lineup.

I don't have every Metheny album, and I had Song X a while back, but it's been a long time since I listened to it. I will say that there isn't a lot of that kind of stuff from Pat Metheny, as far as I know at least. As John said, I tagged all the Pat Metheny stuff on his JMA page, so that should give you an idea. If you have questions about specific albums, just ask. He has sooooooo much music.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic