JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Song roots

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotronjazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Song roots
    Posted: 02 Oct 2018 at 3:40am
I'm looking for any sort of information or facts on an old american folk/roots song called 'Down by the Riverside' ('Ain' go'n' to study war no mo') blues origin I believe. I believe it comes from the DIY era of music where there was a lot of homemade instruments and jugs ect. where used. Just looking for any general facts on this song/ era of music and how these songs came about was it through worship, slavery ect? I'm just really intrigued by this sort of history of where music started.

Any sort of information will be nice :)

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2018 at 5:06am
Its an African American spiritual that dates before the civil war. 
When I was young we would sing it at school as part of a public school music curriculum. I doubt many school kids sing it anymore. Here is a good article on it:

Edited by js - 02 Oct 2018 at 5:06am
Mellotronjazz View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotronjazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2018 at 5:41am
That's so interesting. I suppose being from america yourself you'll have grown up knowing/hearing about all this. Thanks. I've just read the article as well and that's basically what i was looking for :)

On another but similar note you wouldn't happen to know what clarinet/ key George Lewis plays his instrumental version of the song in? No worries if not just a general wondering as the style and how he plays fascinates me his sound and tone is almost that of an alto sax.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkyx853uWUk
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotronjazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2018 at 6:08am
by the sounds and tone bit i mean if you compare him to Pete Fountain or someone similar, whether it is his accenting or a style unique to him, I am completely clueless when it comes to clarinet
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2018 at 8:56am
By the weirdest coincidence, I actually have that George Lewis record. He's playing in concert key F Major. With the clarinet being a Bb instrument, he's playing in G on the clarinet.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotronjazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 1:19am
That's really handy to know thank you :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic