JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

books

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotronjazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: books
    Posted: 01 Oct 2018 at 3:17am
Does any one know if there are any good books on the lesser known jazz musicians e.g baby dodds, Zutty Singleton, George Lewis, Benny goodman ect. Whether that be books on the individuals themselves or it be a general book on jazz musicians?
Mellotronjazz View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotronjazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2018 at 3:19am
or to be fair any good books on jazz musicians for that matter? I have just finished a biography on Louis Armstrong and it was great read and i'm just looking for something new now!
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2018 at 7:46am
There is a recent jazz history book that I have read about three times now, and its called "The History of Jazz" by Ted Gioia. The title is not very creative, but the book is an interesting read all the way through.
I have several biographies on different musicians. The recent one on Monk is quite exhaustive, but since I just loaned it to someone, I can't tell you the title.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotronjazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2018 at 7:51am
I will look into that one by Ted Gioia sounds like just what I'm looking for thank you :) as for the Thelonious Monk I'm sure i will find it or one very similar thanks.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2018 at 8:30am
Of all the music books I've read recently, one stand out is "The Chitlin Circuit and the Road to Rock n Roll". This book tells the story of small clubs in the US south where jazz and blues morphed into RnB and rock. There is plenty of drama and humorous stories and the author makes it clear that the people at the joints didn't care what the music was called, they just wanted to party.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotronjazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2018 at 1:08am
Is that a fiction book? that does sounds like something id like i love any sort of literature on the US South especially when it involves music. i will give it a read thank you!
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2018 at 5:01am
^ No, not fiction at all, it tells the true story of how RnB and rock developed in these small clubs over the years. You meet the performers, the promoters, the club owners, the racist city officials, the police etc.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotronjazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2018 at 5:33am
That's sounds like something id really enjoy. I've just ordered it now along with The History of Jazz, I can't wait thanks for the help
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic