JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stanley Turrentine?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr Clovenhoof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stanley Turrentine?
    Posted: 04 Jul 2012 at 7:02pm
Ok so I have an album called Nightwings (as an old proghead I still sometimes buy albums because I like the cover, even though I know very well that its a strategy that doesnt really work in Jazz). Anyway, its ok but it borders on easy listening so I have never been motivated to listen to his other work. Still, his name keeps coming up in connection with some of the greats - he even played with Ray Charles, so perhaps there is more to this cat than I am giving him credit for. Am I missing something. If so what are the good albums?
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2012 at 7:26pm
I like Stanley, he's a great saxophone player and shows up on some of my favorite albums, but he also put out a lot of crappy $$$ albums.

His music is usually a blend of jazz, soul, funk, blues etc, which tends to be less commercial in the early years, and more commercial during different bad phases in jazz, like the jazz-disco phase.

We have a couple reviews up for some of his albums. Right now all of his albums are tagged Soul Jazz, which is his default tag, but in reality he has many Pop and RnB albums too. Someday soon I will go into his discog and label everything.

If you want to hear Stanley going outside with it, there is a great live album with Herbie from the early 70s where they are playing avant-garde psychedelic fusion. I forget the album's name, but I have a review for it in the Herbie section.
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2012 at 9:36pm
I like him too, mixes it up a lot for sure

Sugar is one of the only two I have, which is pretty good - I have Salt Song too which isn't bad either but I prefer Sugar
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2012 at 10:13pm
I know I had some songs years ago on my iTunes, but never owned an album. Those song I had are long gone, so I don't remember what they were, but I do recall liking them.
Dr Clovenhoof View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr Clovenhoof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 12:25pm
Thanks for the tips, thats the trouble with soul jazz - when its good its really good but when its not....oh dear! Anyway I'll check out Sugar and definitley the one with Herbie!
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 1:14pm
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 2:15pm
You should definitely listen to Stanley on Burrel's Midnight Blue.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr Clovenhoof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 3:28pm
Midnight Blue is a great album. Burrell is one of the greats I mentioned that Stanley crops up in connection with which made me think he must be capabl;e of better than Nightwings.
Cheers

Existence is no advantage!
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 5:47pm
Stanley with the Three Sounds..........does late night Jazz get any better. Beautiful gruff, bluesy tone with Stanley. His younger brother Tommy was not to bad on trumpet either. Shirley Scott is or was really his wife. Back to that album "Blue Hour" which I have reviewed you can get the complete sessions in a two disc set, it is worth it but the gems are on the original album issue anyway.

Everybody here knows I will say this but his Blue Note stuff is the best. Tongue
Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 5:54pm
Yeah, that would be those 'early years' I was referring to, after that it can be hit and miss.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 5:55pm
Stanley shows up on a lot of good Jimmy Smith records too.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 8:26pm
He was awesome on all those early to mid sixties Blue Notes John. He had a great sound with his sax.
Matt
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 2:53am
Actually, what Blue Note of his should I start with guys? Been meaning to check his earlier albums for a while now.
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr Clovenhoof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 6:05am
[QUOTE=Matt]Stanley with the Three Sounds..........does late night Jazz get any better. Beautiful gruff, bluesy tone with Stanley. His younger brother Tommy was not to bad on trumpet either. Shirley Scott is or was really his wife. Back to that album "Blue Hour" which I have reviewed you can get the complete sessions in a two disc set, it is worth it but the gems are on the original album issue anyway.
  Ok, the Three Sounds have passed me by until now - so is that an album Stanley did with them you mention? I noticed your review of Blue Hour, that sounds like one to look out for. You don't hear much of Tommy, but I have heard him play on Abbey Lincoln's album 'Abbey is Blue' I think he's only on the one track, but as I remember its quite good.
Existence is no advantage!
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 6:07pm
One of other fave Stanley albumns is one where is not the leader but boy there is plenty of him on it. ( I reckon he is  a solo hog after it) Jimmy Smith's "Back At The Chicken Shack" He also was on "Midnight Blue" recorded same sessions.
For his other Blue Notes as leader, I like "Rough and Tumble" and  "That's Where it's At" (Les McCann on piano) as well.
No particular release order but there are four albums with his wife Shirley Scott (organ) "Dearly Beloved", Never Let Me Go", "Hustlin" and "A Chip Of The Old Block' my pick of them is is the last two I mentioned but they are all good "Dearly Beloved" is just a trio format (organ, drums and Stanley's tenor). I like Shirley Scott but she is not Jimmy Smith that is for sure.

Most of his Blue Note albums are good but I find after 1967 (round abouts in time) the quality drops.

Alfred Lion one of the original owners of the Blue Note label sold the label 1965 and stayed on to 1967 still producing albums. Once Alfred left though the quality took a dive. There are still some good ones but not like when Alfred was producing. Another reason that Blue Note recordings are great quality is the artists had to rehearse the album before recording as they did not at Prestige for many and for me that is why Blue Note had more quality albums. It showed.
Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic